★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Spider Secret of Bryce Manor goes against Zelda, GTA CTW and Scribblenauts for HGOTY

01-19-2010, 11:24 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: USA WA
Posts: 1,282
Spider Secret of Bryce Manor goes against Zelda, GTA CTW and Scribblenauts for HGOTY

Fantastic news for TigerStyle Games. Spider is going against heavy hitters like The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks, GTA Chinatown Wars and Scribblenauts for the award of best handheld game of 2009. I love all those 4 games, so I'm happy with whoever wins.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...ominations.php

Pretty incredible to see an indie game (and debut too) on that list.

Now Playing Broken Sword
01-19-2010, 11:31 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,639
I loved all five of those games, but GTA:CW simply stands out.

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.

01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,585
Good for them.

Out of that list I would choose Chinatown Wars, then Spider, then Legend of Zelda, and last (and also least), Scribblenauts! (why is that even a nominee?)

Games I have beta tested: Minigore, Cogs, Guerilla Bob, Above and Beyond: Air Combat, Baseball Superstars 2010, 33rd Division, Cash Machine, 5 star General, Flick Football... Possibly some other ones I;ve forgotten
01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmar9333 View Post
Good for them.

Out of that list I would choose Chinatown Wars, then Spider, then Legend of Zelda, and last (and also least), Scribblenauts! (why is that even a nominee?)
I'd put LoZ:ST (loved that game) and Scribblenauts before Spider. Scribblenauts was one of the most imaginative games to come out last year.

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
01-19-2010, 11:39 PM
#5
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: USA WA
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmar9333 View Post
Good for them.

Out of that list I would choose Chinatown Wars, then Spider, then Legend of Zelda, and last (and also least), Scribblenauts! (why is that even a nominee?)
Scribblenauts is easily the most innovative game in years.
-----

Like I said, I'm happy with whoever wins that award. My favorite games were: Zelda>Chinatown>Spider>Scribblenauts. Fantastic games all around.

Now Playing Broken Sword
01-19-2010, 11:41 PM
#6
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: pallet town
Posts: 242
I'd pick spider
01-19-2010, 11:42 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by STP_Tim View Post
I'd put LoZ:ST (loved that game) and Scribblenauts before Spider. Scribblenauts was one of the most imaginative games to come out last year.
Imaginative, sure, until you realized that every level could be beaten using "god" "cthulu" "ptaerodactyl" "rope" and "ladder bridge". Seriously, I was so hotly anticipating that game but I got completely bored with it after world four. It needed more constraints on word usage to make it challenging. And also controls which weren't completely terrible.
01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
#8
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Rio Rancho NEW MEXICO Yes, its a state >:l
Posts: 2,895
scribblenauts is so under rated, it's easily second best out of that group. GTA steals the award, sadly Spider ranks last on my list

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV
01-19-2010, 11:47 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSporkWithin View Post
Imaginative, sure, until you realized that every level could be beaten using "god" "cthulu" "ptaerodactyl" "rope" and "ladder bridge". Seriously, I was so hotly anticipating that game but I got completely bored with it after world four. It needed more constraints on word usage to make it challenging. And also controls which weren't completely terrible.
The controls could have been better but worked well enough. Also, half the fun is trying out new techniques! Sure, a lot of levels could be beaten with a small set of words, but why do that when an entire dictionary is available to you. After all, it would kill the "Write Anything" concept of the game if levels were limiting...

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
#10
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Rio Rancho NEW MEXICO Yes, its a state >:l
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by STP_Tim View Post
The controls could have been better but worked well enough. Also, half the fun is trying out new techniques! Sure, a lot of levels could be beaten with a small set of words, but why do that when an entire dictionary is available to you. After all, it would kill the "Write Anything" concept of the game if levels were limiting...
That's exactly my thoughs, you have a good taste in games sir.

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV