★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Black Matter is fast-paced battle action combined with tower defense strategy. Prepare to fight hordes of enemies that push your space station off the screen. Upgrade your weapons and blast your enemies away.

Black Matter takes you on an epic journey. Fight your way through four episodes full of nasty enemies and earn fame and money.
Upgrade your space station with superior weapon systems, beat gigantic boss enemies until you reach the epic 100 final levels.

Have fun!

-------------------------------------------------------

- 140 levels filled with loads of enemies

- 5 awesome weapon systems (laser cannon, rockets, nukes, plasma rail cannon, ice storm)

- 6 upgrades for each weapon (guided missiles, super freezing ice, speed ups, )

- This free demo version ends in episode two level three.

obiwahn's comments:

Hi there,

there is a FREE demo version of our game out now!

App Store: Black Matter FREE

Have Fun!

01-20-2010, 08:27 AM
wow this looks awesome!!!....downloading now

01-20-2010, 08:35 AM
looks good, I'll try the lite first.
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
You've written "blach" in the topic title instead of "black"

PM a mod or report your post and ask them to change it, otherwise it won't show up in searches.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
It must be good. The developer left himself 12 5-star reviews.
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
@MidianGTX: Thank you! How do I find the name of a mod to PM him?

@mlkaufman: If you were a single game developer with no marketing budget at all. Wouldn't you ask all your friends and family to write reviews immediately?

Yes, I made some games: www.herpgames.com
01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwahn View Post
@mlkaufman: If you were a single game developer with no marketing budget at all. Wouldn't you ask all your friends and family to write reviews immediately?
I might be tempted to, but I hope in the end I wouldn't, and I'll tell you why:

1) It's dishonest.
2) I've seen many single game developer's succeed without doing it.
3) I've seen many games that did it and failed anyhow.
4) I'm not convinced it helps more then it hurts.

You might be thinking just it will only help me because people will see all those positive reviews, but what about the people (and its my impressions that because of shill voting more people are doing this) who check and see that all of your reviewers have all only left 5 star reviews for all of your releases. I might have purchased the ful version of this game just on the strength of the genre and graphics, but now I will wait and see and get other people's reactions first.

Not to give you any pointers, but if you are going to shill review, don't have all your shills vote for all your releases. And throw in a few phony reviews for other people's stuff to make it look more realistic. It might even be worth paying for a couple of things so that the shills look like real people.

Or, you could just spend time improving your own releases and hope that quality will rise to the top. If you game is any good, don't you think that people on TA will give it good reviews anyhow?'

Just my opinion.

Michael

To me, the shill review is a sign the developer doesn't trust his game.
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM
This game looks good, but looks almost exactly like a re-skinned version of your game 'Defend Your Phone'. Are there any differences besides the graphics and the character names? Just curious...
01-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Phew, some really good points there and a very interesting topic for many game devs.

Quote:
1) It's dishonest.
Sure, it is not exactly what the user expects. But these are glowing but honest reviews by really enthusiastic friends of mine.
All big players have PR companies with "interns" that write up to 50 glowing reviews when a new game comes out. Just have a look at the next big release.
Quote:
2) I've seen many single game developer's succeed without doing it.
Sure, no one forces you to do any advertising. But if the big publishers add shill reviews. I think it is a good idea to do the same thing.
Quote:
3) I've seen many games that did it and failed anyhow.
Again, I hope the big players know what they do.
Quote:
4) I'm not convinced it helps more then it hurts.
Very good question. Again, I hope the big players know what they do.

Quote:
if you are going to shill review, don't have all your shills vote for all your releases. And throw in a few phony reviews for other people's stuff to make it look more realistic. It might even be worth paying for a couple of things so that the shills look like real people.
Very good points. But: My reviews are by enthusiastic friends. To post bad reviews to other games (or even my competidors) would be another pair of shoes and really unfair IMHO.

Quote:
If you game is any good, don't you think that people on TA will give it good reviews anyhow?'
You could say this against any kind of ad: "Hey Infinity Ward you don't need any advertising for Modern Warfare 2 the people on TA will give it good reviews anyhow"?

Quote:
To me, the shill review is a sign the developer doesn't trust his game.
I honsetly don't get it: If I do NOTtrust my game I'll send it to all my friends and ask them to review it. If I DO trust my game, I don't do anything?

Cheers
Sebastian

Yes, I made some games: www.herpgames.com
01-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm just going to make one more comment and then I am not going to hijack this thread anymore.

Quote:
All big players have PR companies with "interns" that write up to 50 glowing reviews when a new game comes out.
But if the big publishers add shill reviews. I think it is a good idea to do the same thing.
I don't believe that the big houses do what you claim. The only one I can think of was PressOK. They left about 70 reviews for themselves for Bumper Stars and it quickly faded into obscurity. Their other game, Finger Physics, did very well. I think its the quality of the game that sets it apart, not the shill reviews.

And I don't think the small houses that have shown the most success do it either. Tiger Style didn't do it. Critical Thought didn't do it. Firemint didn't do it. They all trusted in the quality of their games and saw huge success.

Quote:
Sure, it is not exactly what the user expects. But these are glowing but honest reviews by really enthusiastic friends of mine.
Quote:
But: My reviews are by enthusiastic friends.

You are telling us that you have a bunch of friends who:

1) Have a Touch or an iPhone
2) Have never left a review before
3) Took the time to try all of your apps so as to give an honest review
4) All really love multiple exclamation points.
5) All write with the same type of sentence structure.
6) Many make similar grammar mistakes
7) All left reviews for the game on its day of release.

I'm sorry, but while you claim its your friends, it looks to me like you created a bunch of new accounts and wrote the reviews yourself.

Michael