★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Great Multiplayer Strategy Game - Reign of Swords

10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Great Multiplayer Strategy Game - Reign of Swords

I have been playing Reign of Swords for five days now and I'm totally hooked.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290813546&mt=8

Its a turn-based strategy game similar to Advance Wars which I loved. You basically play through a very addictive campaign building up your army with archers, swordsmen, wizards, heros, griffon riders etc. You can choose exactly how you upgrade your units so you have control over your armies composition. The campaign missions are diverse, and some even surprising!

The coolest part of the game is going online and battling other people with your custom army. I have to admit that the AI can behave a little strange at times (you don't control every movement of your army, but act as a General positioning your units and giving them tactical orders), but it is a lot of fun to play.

Music and Audio are great, graphics are ok.

Happy to see a multiplayer game like this on the iPhone!
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree. I've made a few posts about how great that game is. The graphics clearly don't show the iPhones capabilities, but they're good enough. The gameplay is great though. It's kind of like Risk, but you fight individual battles.

I've surprised they only put in the adventure section in iTunes. It should also be in the RPG and strategy sections. Strategy is everything in that game.

There could be a game soon that does even better, but for right now Reign of Swords beats all.

10-02-2008, 02:43 PM
RoS is awesome

I have to agree, I bought RoS when it was released for iphone and I can't stop playing it. Sure the graphics are poor but the gameplay makes up for it. The single player campaign is pretty long and after you finish it you can always go online.
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
It is pretty cool. They just need to allow for playing of my ipod music library while playing.

What I've learned from playing Super Monkey Ball, is that monkeys, in a ball, fall at a speed of 263 mph, on average.
10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Yup this is one of the must-have games.
10-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Well, I got it, and went through the tutorial and so far it looks good, but what now? I went through the tutorial, campaign 1 and 2, but how do I advance from there? Is there a web site or something that has more information on how to play? I'm obviously missing something here but tapping around the screen and running through the tutorial doesn't help.
10-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palenoue View Post
Well, I got it, and went through the tutorial and so far it looks good, but what now? I went through the tutorial, campaign 1 and 2, but how do I advance from there? Is there a web site or something that has more information on how to play? I'm obviously missing something here but tapping around the screen and running through the tutorial doesn't help.
Hello,
normally, there are three campaigns by country ; be sure to scroll down the <<list>> in the War plans. In Carrone, there is also a raid. After you finish all campaigns in Carrone, you will gain access to Bordavia and Merovin.

There exists a forum for Reign of Swords: http://www.mobilebattles.com/forums .
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I found the problem. I didn't really finish the last battle. Was interrupted a few times while playing then went back to do things differently, but it didn't register. Did it again and now the other battlefields are unlocked.

Thanks for the link, osnola.
10-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflower View Post
I have been playing Reign of Swords for five days now and I'm totally hooked.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290813546&mt=8

Its a turn-based strategy game similar to Advance Wars which I loved. You basically play through a very addictive campaign building up your army with archers, swordsmen, wizards, heros, griffon riders etc. You can choose exactly how you upgrade your units so you have control over your armies composition. The campaign missions are diverse, and some even surprising!

The coolest part of the game is going online and battling other people with your custom army. I have to admit that the AI can behave a little strange at times (you don't control every movement of your army, but act as a General positioning your units and giving them tactical orders), but it is a lot of fun to play.

Music and Audio are great, graphics are ok.

Happy to see a multiplayer game like this on the iPhone!
I think RoS is a really good game, but I'm disappointed with certain aspects of the iPhone port, like the rotten framerate. The STP review is here:

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/reign-of-swords-review

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
RoS completely disorientated me from the iPhone panning system, because it works in complete opposite to everything else! You can get used to it, sure, but it does get annoying.

Also the lag is terrible.

The game otherwise plays really well. You get a tangible sense of achievement when you put that last sword through an opponents chest.