★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Save Data

01-20-2010, 09:01 PM
#1
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Save Data

While I'm sure this has been gone over many times (I tried searching and found nothing), I am wondering if there is a way to keep game save data after deleting an app. My iPhone is only 8GB, and 5GB are used for music... Needless to say, I need to delete apps quite frequently to make room. Any suggestions?
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: FLA, USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran View Post
While I'm sure this has been gone over many times (I tried searching and found nothing), I am wondering if there is a way to keep game save data after deleting an app. My iPhone is only 8GB, and 5GB are used for music... Needless to say, I need to delete apps quite frequently to make room. Any suggestions?
no. no way to save. at least i dont think

01-21-2010, 03:15 AM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Sure there is, you just have to jailbreak

There's an app that lets you backup your apps, you can then SSH them to your computer so they're safe.
01-21-2010, 07:59 AM
#4
Jailbreak community understands your plite, and made an app for that.
Apple understands your plite, and made a bigger better iDevice with more storage, and a heavier price tag.

Choose your friends wisely.
01-21-2010, 08:18 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 444
Actually, for non-jailbreakers, can't this be done by just backing up the device with iTunes ?
01-21-2010, 08:19 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0re View Post
Actually, for non-jailbreakers, can't this be done by just backing up the device with iTunes ?
Yes..but if you want to add that game's save data back you have to restore using the backup, which means everything else gets overwritten.
01-21-2010, 08:23 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek420 View Post
Yes..but if you want to add that game's save data back you have to restore using the backup, which means everything else gets overwritten.
Ok, that's crap I admit ...
01-21-2010, 08:26 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0re View Post
Ok, that's crap I admit ...
Yep There are many advantages to jailbreaking. I can't believe I went 1.5 years with a stock Touch.
01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek420 View Post
Yep There are many advantages to jailbreaking. I can't believe I went 1.5 years with a stock Touch.
I understand ^^

I tried once, but found my device to be less responsive, and messy.
Plus some custom apps like Cydia were having ads, which was giving an overall feeling of cheapness. Cydia inner categories weren't clear at all to my taste, too.

Generally, it felt like my device was not being upgraded, but clumsily fiddled.

So I restored the real OS not long after

Coming from an HTC TyTn II, I was used to wander in xda-developpers forum, tweak the OS and flash the ROM every single month (there were custom OS improvements very regularly).

Then I tried iPhone, and holy pooh, its clarity, fluidity and simplicity just made my whole year. So when I look back at Jailbreak, I don't regret to be using Apple's OS ^^

Personal taste, somehow.
01-21-2010, 08:55 AM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Lol yea I guess so. Some people just don't care about customizing it that much.