★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: In a world where chaos reigns and might makes right, those who stand alone dont stand for long.

Tall Bike Joust features six post-apocalyptic cityscapes in which players compete in Quick Jousts and longer Tournament battles to increase their ability to defeat opponents. Players can choose and name their avatar, modify their attributes and customize their bicycles. The supreme confrontation is to joust Doyle, the official Tall Bike Jousting Champion of the World, to secure the top spot and achieve eternal fame.

THE BACK STORY
The world reaches peak oil in the year 2012; the means to produce enough oil to satisfy global demand has failed. Going to war to gain control of oil fields in the Middle East, the U.S. and other countries enter an extreme recession and automakers go out of business. In response, people turn to bicycles as their main form of transportation.

Meanwhile, a powerful corporate entity hacks into U.S. government computers and takes control, unleashing an arsenal of nuclear weapons that destroy the largest cities in the world. Not knowing who to blame, every nuclear-capable country responds in a dramatic fashion by dropping bombs on its most likely adversary in retaliation.

What remains when the game begins in 2021 are several strongholds controlled by corporate entities, housed within skyscrapers dotting the post-apocalyptic landscape. Each stronghold can produce enough food and resources to sustain a moderate population. Outside the strongholds are groups of nomadic survivorsanarchists that travel on mutant bikes. They survive on trash from the nearest stronghold and rudimentary farming while using their wits and creativity to fight other bike clubs for territorial control.

Lots of fun (5 STARS)
This game makes me want to go weld two bikes together . . .
- by Rman04

Another Great One! (5 STARS)
Tall Bike Joust is a very original and fun game.
- by coloursound
01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
any video of game play? this looks interesting.. jousting on bmx's woohoo.

chris.

01-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by DaveMc99; 01-21-2010 at 09:12 PM.
01-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this looks amazing?

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Not sure if it's for me, but, no, you're not the only one who thinks it looks amazing.
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Definitely not the only one

I actually DO this!!! I never would have thought an app would be made for it!
01-22-2010, 07:04 AM
I got it. I like it. Not a lot of time right now, impressions later...

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
can i play, i only have a trike tho heh.

would like to try a lite version tho. ok will wait for your review sizzla.

chris.
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Game Impressions

Right off, I need to point out that at one point I had two tall bikes, so I'm biased. I never jousted because its kind of crazy and you need to be a really good tall bike rider to handle one armed steering whilst balancing a big pole. I've been to tonnes of tall bike jousts so I have some sort of first hand experience.

The controls are fairly simply and... work! I've never enjoyed tilt controls on any of the 100's of App games I've played. Its just too inaccurate. And that's why it works in this game. Riding a real tall bike is an exercise in coordination and flat down, this game's tilt controls nail it. A tall bike is .. well .. tall and when you shift your body weight it takes time to react. Having said that, the game play is far simpler than real life. Trying to ride with a jousting paddle is a pain in the butt and the game makes it easier. Which is good.

Basically the game is just to speed up while sliding your thumbs to mimic cycling (and that actually is a nice implementation - major kudos) and tilting to aim. And that is it! Dead simple.

The game provides a lot of opposing characters, but nowhere near as weird as in real life (clowns, etc..) and the females look kind of like angry short haired dudes.

The gear upgrade selection is kind of interesting and theoretically pimps up your bike. In reality most parts are from the junk yards (or.. for somebody's yard... erhm!) and I don't think anyone would really put on titanium wheels unless they "found it." But regardless the selection is nice.

In the game when you win a joust you get stuff, like welding wire (which is the core essential ingredient of building tall bikes anyway), thread (what?) and bicycle parts. You can then use the parts to pimp your bike or repair/weld. After each joust your bike get's hit with some sort of damage and eventually you have to replace or repair the part.

Also after each win you might get some points which allows you to strengthen various factors, like power, speed, etc..

There are several areas to joust in and are done fairly well. Nothing like reality though, where there are usually hundreds of people tightly cheering nearby. I question some of the locations as being really odd choices and if they included real popular cities where the jousting takes place (like Portland, Seattle, SF, etc..) the app will probably sell better.

Some bugs though. After a while the end of the joust just crashes the games and you lose your score. Also the 3D animation is kind of so so when it comes to the human figures: you get jousting paddles piercing bodies and odd creases at the joints.

Ultimately its a good entertaining game and I'm waiting for further updates to stabilize and fix glitches. I'd like to see realistic female riders, true tall bike customization (non-standard frames, colour customization/decaling) and the ultimate in bike jousting where the bikes are on fire!

And why not add mini-bike jousting? I've actually seen a tall bike take on a mini-bike.