★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Great games using the accelerometer?

01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Great games using the accelerometer?

Hello everybody,
ziotoo4 here, quite new to the forum

A couple days ago i downloaded TvOut, a jailbreak app that, as the name says, allows me to output video to my television via the official Apple AV cable.
Of course i can output games, too: but the iphone screen will just go black. So coordinating finger movements on virtual d-pads and buttons becomes really difficult.

Luckily, howewer, the iphone has a built in accelerometer-exactly the thing you need to use it as a portable wii

That is, i am currently compiling this thread with the best games using the accelerometer: those that you can play with TVOut, when your fingers are tired, when it's freezing and you don't want to take your gloves away....and so on

Basically a wii-iphone compilation

SO FAR I HAVE:

Flick fishing: a fishing simulation that works perfectly on TV: the iphone is your fishing-rod, and the external screen is the pond. Works well also on the iphone only

Hippo High Dive: is free (is it still free?) and has a great value! I'm loving it so far

Doodle Jump
: obviously

Boost 3d: although it's unplayable if you have the AV cable plugged in, works greatly on the iphone screen

Need for speed: undercover, Need for speed: shift, Real Racing, Parcel Panic, Asphalt 5, Crash Bandicoot, Cocoto Kart Racing, ...: great driving simulators that work greatly on the Iphone screen and on TV (btw, have you seen this DIY steering wheel??? It's nice ^_^)

Space Ninja: a nice survival game played with the accelerometer. Never played it, but seems good from the review

Ground Effect: has its own category because it can be played 3d on the TV!

Labyrinth I/II: I already knew of those, but (just like starball), it's hard to play them on the TV. Howewer, they work greatly with the accelerometer, and Laby 2 is a total eye-candy.

Glyder 1/2, nanosaur 2
: similar concept-but since (for what i got from gameplay videos) they use buttons, they're hard to be played on TV...

...what else would you add? I will edit the post adding the best ideas ^_^

Thanks,

Fede

Last edited by ziotoo4; 01-24-2010 at 05:42 AM.
01-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Send a message via MSN to spidey146 Send a message via Yahoo to spidey146
Starball is a great game. You are a ball, umm, collecting stars , it's really fun, a new update just came out, there are online leaderboards and a lot of other cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Porkenheimer View Post
Someone is ridiculing Big Albie? Kill him.
Always remember, you can't spell slaughter without laughter.

01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Aurora Feint II,
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbname View Post
Aurora Feint II,
Wow.......

But really, labyrinth 2 might work and blue defense! would be a lot of fun.
01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Parcel Panic & Mission: Deep Sea = you'll need to touch for forward and backward which is not going to be difficult (I think).
Labyrinth (1 & 2), hmm...
They are "Great games using the accelerometer?" but for horizontal position. I assume you are not going to place your TV screen in horizontal position.

Waiting for:
Minigore 2: Zombies, Real Racing 3, GTA: Vice City, Touchgrind 2, Badland, Audiosurf...
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Labyrinth 2, Doodle Jump.
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzytheking View Post
Parcel Panic & Mission: Deep Sea = you'll need to touch for forward and backward which is not going to be difficult (I think).
Labyrinth (1 & 2), hmm...
They are "Great games using the accelerometer?" but for horizontal position. I assume you are not going to place your TV screen in horizontal position.
Tvout can output both vertical and horizontal mode, so no problem
01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
crazy turkey blast is a great one. tilt to aim, tap screen to shoot.

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
01-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi, How are You works great with the accelerometer. I completely agree with Flick Fishing.

OMG. Double Rainbow!
User ID: Gryphon23 Agon: Gman23
"Birthday Cake, is just Birthday Cake without a little gravy..." Gravy makes EVERYTHING better.
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziotoo4 View Post
Tvout can output both vertical and horizontal mode, so no problem
No, I mean h and v mode of iDevice itself, Labyrinth will be difficult to play because you play it in same position as when you put your iDevice on e.g. table - horizontal (screen up), and you'll need to watch it on screen which stands vertical.

Waiting for:
Minigore 2: Zombies, Real Racing 3, GTA: Vice City, Touchgrind 2, Badland, Audiosurf...