★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New Card Game: Mü

01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
New Card Game: Mü

For immediate release.

House Full of Games in cooperation with Spiele von Doris & Frank (D&F) is pleased to announce the immediate availability on iTunes of one of the world's best card games.

Mü is a phenomenal trick-taking card game that has been delighting gamers the world over for many years. Now that excellent gaming experience is available on your iPhone or iPod touch.

Play Mü with your friends over Bluetooth and with a challenging and life-like Artificial Intelligence that can be tuned to match several different skill levels and bidding styles.

Tired of playing Hearts and Solitaire? Want a superior card playing experience? Get Mü!

To read more about this fine game, please point your browser to http://mu.housefullofgames.com.

Steve Blanding
Owner: House Full of Games
email: steve at housefullofgames.com
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Doris & Frank are well-respected in the board game and card game hobby.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

01-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Game Impressions

Impressive!

While I still barely know what I'm doing this game is indeed pretty complex and the AI seems pretty competent.

At its heart, think of a game almost like Bridge with the weird twist that in each hand teams are chosen. Basically each hand starts with players bidding for the honor of being the "Chief" (this is the guy who will determine the main trump and is entitled to a bonus if he succeeds), the second place bidder is the "Vice" (this is the guy leading the opposition against the Chief and has the option of declaring a secondary trump). The Chief then chooses a partner (anyone but the Vice), and the rest of the players will help out the Vice in trying to stop that sneaky bastage of the Chief from succeeding with his bid. This twist of never knowing from hand to hand who's team you'll be on is definitely unique.

Also, if the concept of a primary and secondary trump weren't odd enough, as opposed to simply choosing one of the game's 5 suits, either of the trump callers can declare a "Numeric" trump (I really don't get how this works at the moment, I mean if I declare "1" as the trump, who gets the trick if more than one of us plays a "1"?). Freaky stuff.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFoG View Post
For immediate release.

House Full of Games in cooperation with Spiele von Doris & Frank (D&F) is pleased to announce the immediate availability on iTunes of one of the world's best card games.

Mü is a phenomenal trick-taking card game that has been delighting gamers the world over for many years. Now that excellent gaming experience is available on your iPhone or iPod touch.

Play Mü with your friends over Bluetooth and with a challenging and life-like Artificial Intelligence that can be tuned to match several different skill levels and bidding styles.

Tired of playing Hearts and Solitaire? Want a superior card playing experience? Get Mü!

To read more about this fine game, please point your browser to http://mu.housefullofgames.com.

Steve Blanding
Owner: House Full of Games
email: steve at housefullofgames.com
Welcome to TA!
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Impressive!
I mean if I declare "1" as the trump, who gets the trick if more than one of us plays a "1"?). Freaky stuff.
To answer your question, in the event that two or more cards tie for the highest card on a trick, the first card played wins.

Thanks for the kudos and the thoughtful review. Mü has been a favorite card game of mine for years and the idea of being able to introduce it to a lot of new players this way is awesome. This was definitely a labor of love.

To Songbird:

I've been an RSS subscriber for a while now but I haven't had a need to frequent the forums before. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited by HFoG; 01-24-2010 at 08:33 PM.
01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks!

Always love the new card and board games. I believe this one was published by Rio Grande Games. They have rules on their site:

http://www.riograndegames.com/upload..._gameRules.pdf
01-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by efmchico View Post
Always love the new card and board games. I believe this one was published by Rio Grande Games. They have rules on their site:

http://www.riograndegames.com/upload..._gameRules.pdf
While he covers the rules pretty decently in game, I think there are a few very minor technicalities that this PDF covers a bit better.

While the real card game is actually a suite of different card games, this iPhone app is only focused on the MAIN game, Mu itself (which is just as well since the other games the rules cover just seem to be very light and fluffy Hearts and Spade like games using this game's unique 60 card deck, nothing that unique or special like the main game). They almost feel like something akin to "mini-games" in some RPG, cute fluff on the side of the main attraction so their omission in this iPhone port is not a big loss.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-24-2010, 09:11 PM
first time play the card and board game, but love it, very much
01-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
While the real card game is actually a suite of different card games, this iPhone app is only focused on the MAIN game
Actually, Mü has been published in several different editions, each time with a few other games tossed in. Mü and More is the one that's probably the most well known. You're correct that none of the others in that edition are nearly as good but there is some fun to be had with each of them. Mü and Much More is the edition that's in stores right now and the set of games that it comes with are considerably stronger than those in Mü and More (particularly the game called Nyet which I enjoy quite a bit) but once again, Mü is the clear stand out in that edition as well.
01-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks for bring Mü to the iPhone Steve!

A minor question in regard to the graphics. I've noted that you've included two card sets -- the original set designed by Doris and a simplified set better suited (no pun intended!) for the iPhone screen... would you consider designing another layout which forgoes the 'playing card' simulation altogether? There is no need, for example, to invert the numbers and scoring 'pips' like a 'real card' (which needs to be legible from both sides of a physical table).