★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Classical/cinematic composer available (for free)

01-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Classical/cinematic composer available (for free)

Hi there,

I'm a music graduate and composer, looking to build a portfolio to eventually make the scary jump from office drone to freelance later this year.

I'd be interested in any opportunities to compose original music for upcoming games. I'm a classical composer and songwriter, and my orchestrations tend to be quite full/dramatic/cinematic, with a penchant for unusual time signatures and some dissonance. My composition and songwriting also tends to be quite narrative, and I have a passion for musical theatre/cabaret, so would be particularly interested in games requiring incidental music to assist in storytelling.

I can provide notated score and/or midi files - I'm not sure how music is usually supplied for games..? I guess it varies...

Please get in touch if you're interested - I'm really keen to get any projects on the go! I can send you some recent samples. I'm afraid I don't have a website to point you to yet, but it's in the pipeline...

All the best,

Matt

PS. Here is a recent track I've been working on orchestrating. It's in progress, but you get an idea... fuller orchestration kicks in around 2mins, change of feel around 3mins.

Last edited by heathenpoet; 01-23-2010 at 06:06 PM.
01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Sent you a PM

It sounds good and I sent you a PM.
01-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenpoet View Post
I can provide notated score and/or midi files - I'm not sure how music is usually supplied for games..? I guess it varies...
it definitely does vary! midi / mp3 / ogg / pcm (raw) so many ways - depending on how busy the games are; there may be different alternatives for music - you don't want to be spending 20% of your time decoding an mp3 if you need as many FPS as you can! :P i would say formats vary on a case by case basis - MIDI is good; as it lets it be small - but you can also convert to pcm, mp3 et al.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
01-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewse View Post
It sounds good and I sent you a PM.
Thanks! I'll get back to you shortly
01-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
it definitely does vary! midi / mp3 / ogg / pcm (raw) so many ways - depending on how busy the games are; there may be different alternatives for music - you don't want to be spending 20% of your time decoding an mp3 if you need as many FPS as you can! :P i would say formats vary on a case by case basis - MIDI is good; as it lets it be small - but you can also convert to pcm, mp3 et al.
Thanks very much for this. I plan to soon invest in some decent orchestral samples so I can output better-sounding MP3s if required (my friend made the above for me from a MIDI file) - I just need to look into how best to go about this.

This might be a stupid question - showing my lack of techy knowledge - but isn't a MIDI file just the information... sequence of notes/volume etc... without containing any actual sounds or samples? So the device needs to be able to playback midi and have a basic bank of synth sounds?

Thanks again for the advice!

Matt