★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Tin Man Games
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 4.9 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Frootrees Halloween brings the great gameplay found in the original Frootrees and adds a special Halloween twist! Pluck the freaky froot from the dark and gnarly frootree and place them in the correct crates. Don't be fooled that this is an easy game, as it gets intense as you aim to rack up multipliers to further increase your score while trying to only pluck the most mature froot. Can you also master the infamous upward frootrees flick? One false move and you will be spooked!

Included in Touch My Apps "20 iPhone and iPad Games to play this Halloween" alongside Angry Birds Halloween in 2010.

TheTinMan's comments:
To celebrate Australia Day on Jan 26th we're making Frootrees and Frootrees Halloween FREE on the App Store! Grab them now if you don't own them already!

01-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Get these games, peops!

The original is a good game that didn't get as much attention as it deserved, IMO.

I hadn't picked up the Halloween version, so I'm gonna check it out.

If you like 'em, do TheTinMan a favor and leave your comments on the app store.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

01-24-2010, 12:06 PM
To lead by example...

Here is my app store review:

Good core idea, great sense of humor, good escalating challenge, and it's fun. You just pull the froot off the trees and plop it in the collector of the corresponding color. I have to say that the risk vs. reward mechanism in this game is brilliant. You want to do the lob move, to get the local multipliers, but it takes much more skill than the drag move. It's also interesting that the low-threat, early to mid-game is when the lob is the easiest to pull off, but it is in the end-game, when you have racked up a higher global modifier that it really matters. The more I play this, the more I like it. I wish every Froot type smiled when they were ripe, because it's sometimes hard to tell when they are prime for the pluckin'. You want players operating with full knowledge of the game state, otherwise it can be frustrating. When I get a low score, I want it to be due my own screw-up, not because I couldn't tell when to time my moves. Game’s fun, though.

Update: I really recommend this title, if you guys and girls have overlooked it, for whatever reason. I have consistently returned to it, because TheTinMan has hit on such a perfect combination of simplicity and depth. The screenshots really don't do it justice, because the game is very involving. I'm not even sure that a video would capture it either; you really need to play it. I ended up playing one-metric-ton of this game, because there is always that feeling of being able to do just a little better next game. AGON leaderboards have been added, as well, so you can see which of your friends is the biggest Froot!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 01-24-2010 at 12:10 PM.
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
I had to delete and reinstall after it got hung up at 7700, which would be first place. The tree was permanently empty of fruit, and it would pause/unpause, but not go to end game. I even tried rebooting the iphone, didnt work. Have a 3gs.

I confess that there might have been something wrong with the 7700 game even before it crashed, as I have not otherwise gotten more then 1900.

I find the halloween one harder because the bats are black like the tree.

I think you should have a display of how many "lives" you have. I guess the bonus multiplier turns colors, but that is hard to follow, and I'm still not sure exactly what each color means.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 01-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
@djflippy - Thanks for your support again! You were one of our most vocal supporters when the game originally released and really understood the mechanics of the game and what we were trying to achieve. You are truly awesome.

@ArtNJ - Sorry to hear about that crash dude. We have encountered that bug before but were not able to replicate it to know how to fix it. It's very rare! If it ever happens again then please let us know and tell us how it came to be.

Regarding the colours confusion, they are all worth the same points. It's the multipliers which rack up the scores. The trick to good scores is to perform the upward flick as much as possible early on in the game at the biggest multiplier without screwing up. Having a lives indicator has been mentioned before and will be addressed in Frootrees 2 when we finally get round to releasing it (about 50% done).

Follow us on the Tin Man Games blog and check out our latest Gamebook Adventures and Fighting Fantasy sites for links to our GA and FF apps!
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
@ArtNJ - Sorry to hear about that crash dude. We have encountered that bug before but were not able to replicate it to know how to fix it. It's very rare! If it ever happens again then please let us know and tell us how it came to be.
Well, it aint that rare for me apparently. I replicated it. Not on purpose mind you, but I replicated it. Its some combination of pausing, exiting the app, and resuming later. The speed was initially reset (slow) even though this time around, I resumed at 1500 points. I did a few fruits at the slow speed, then decided I didnt want to cheat at slow speed so I stopped harvesting. Once 5-7 fruits fell on the ground, the tree stayed barren, but no game over.

I guess I cant safely exit the app with an active game.

If you really want crash reports, I can email them to you, although its been a while since I gave anyone crash reports and I dont exactly remember how to access them (hidden files and all.)

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
bumps for an awesome pair of games.

bought both already and theyre both still on ma iphone. they aint going nowhere either

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
thanks for the games, ill check them out.. i have some good friends who are aussie.. put a shirmp on the barbie for me. laughs.. all joking aside.. please share the good beer not that fosters stuff you pond onto us americans. one day ill make it to aussie to have a real aussie beer.

chris.
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Frootrees is a very cute and fun game! I love the art style and the sound affects of the little fruits

I have a few suggestions that I think will improve the gameplay:

- Multitouch. Grabing 2 or 3 fruits at once would add more of a challenge.

- Ability to hit the thrown fruit of the sides of your screen/walls to bounce them into their selected color.

Overall, great pick up and play game!
01-24-2010, 09:16 PM
i think it's not bad, especially the art style and graphics are very cute, not horrible what i thought at all. good......