★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Finger Arts
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 37.0 MB
  • Version: 4.2
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Remember the classic hangman? Well, kiss it goodbye! -- With Hangman you play with real-time news ;) Every game you play is always new!
Hangman automatically downloads for you the latest top news from Internet.When you play at the easy level you have to figure out one word from a random news article title. At the medium,hard, and expert levels respectively two, three, and four words
Hangman is Hangman + Point System, Runs, and Online Leaderboards. Discover the next evolution of Hangman with amazing graphics, animations, and ease of use. This is a Hangman like one you have never experienced before ;)

=> A smart point system, wherein your score is based on 1) the value of each number multiplied (at the time of its match) by a multiplier that decreases in time and 2) the value of letter multiplied (at the time of its completion) by the decreasing multiplier

=> Thanks to Game Center & OpenFeint, you can now rank and compare Hangman scores and achievements against friends and strangers

=> Hangman also counts the runs, that is, each uninterrupted sequence of games won, and adds them to the online leaderboards

=> You have a number of hints to help you play (more at the easy, less at the hard level)

Isabella01's comments:

Okay, it's the new kid on the block, but many hail this to be the best hangman game ever now available on iTunes!

- Play with news RSS feeds that are always updated and fresh each time you play
- Play in the following languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish with their respective news sources
- Five high score tables and over 40 achievements
- OpenFeint

Some of you from the TA forum had the chance to play with the game already (see our promo code thread on TA). We very much appreciate your feedback!

So, are you one of the brave who want to tackle a word based game at its best? We really would love to see you score!

The Finger Arts Team

We love that some of you are adding cool ideas!

Hot Update: Apple is featuring the game in the 'New & Noteworthy" category world wide! Today we are #1 in Italy (word cat) and #8 in the US (word) ... yeah
Everyone in this thread has been awesome and provided us with incredible feedback! We would like to thank you for supporting us! You all rock here!

Finger Arts Home
Facebook/FingerArts
http://twitter.com/FingerArtsGames
http://twitter.com/hangmanRSS
01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
For aynone looking at this, it's freakin amazing. Polished like crazy, tons of replaybility due to the always new words, achievements to keep you playing, and leaderboards to show off. It's must buy if you like word games or hangman games....just wanted to say that real quick

01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Aww...I just got done posting in the other thread.

I'll just say this, then. Great game. If you're a fan of word games, then definitely check this one out. It's got elements of hangman, wheel of fortune puzzle solving and crossword puzzles all in one. It's especially fun if you're up on your current events like me!

I guess now is as good a time as any to go leave a review on iTunes, huh?

Edit: I just realized that I'm on the leaderboard in several categories. Nobody else buy this game so I can stay there!

Last edited by CzarCastic; 01-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, gonna have to chime in myself. This game really is fun. The RSS feeds afford a neverending supply of puzzles, and the scoring system is very compelling. You have plenty of time to just finish the puzzle slowly if you want to really take your time and be careful, but the multiplier starts out ticking down very quickly, meaning if you want to score high you have to really toss the letters out there.

Openfeint is really well implemented, every time you finish a puzzle you'll see the highest existing score for that puzzle so that you can compare and see how you're doing, and the achievements encourage you to try for very long chains of successful puzzles.

The only gripe I have is that sometimes the headlines will be truncated awkwardly, leading to a word being seemingly completely arbitrary, but those cases seem to be fairly limited and hopefully there will be a fix forthcoming; assuming this app is successful, which it fully deserves to be.
01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Very nice implentation of a hangman type of game. These can sometimes be boring, but Hangman RSS is somehow very compelling to play - I think because much of the headline gives you enough information, that you think that it should be really simple to figure out the word.

But, it does not work out that way. It has a very nice challenge to it, and the scoring system is compelling.

I agree with the comment that sometimes the headline cut off can actually be confusing, but I guess one could always view that as just adding to the challenge.

For those worried about always needing internet connection - it needs one for start up, and for occasional refreshing of headlines, but you can play without needing an internet connection.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
01-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I've run out of news articles.
01-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Same. Maybe the ability to enter our own feeds could be implemented?
01-26-2010, 09:30 PM
iv been playing the free hangman called "ultimate hangman" its well polished.. in the reviews some say its easy.. i suck at english.. so.. its fun.. and the watching my stickman hang is cute

however, will buy this one too. thanks for the heads up.

chris.
01-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Try sitting at the title screen for a minute or two while connected to the internet. I believe the title screen causes it to search for new stories.
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSporkWithin View Post
Try sitting at the title screen for a minute or two while connected to the internet. I believe the title screen causes it to search for new stories.
Yeah, I closed the app and reloaded a couple of times. I'm sure there are new ones available now, but I'm burned out, so maybe tomorrow.