★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: EASY Inc.
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 26.1 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: Musket & Artillery (American Revolutionary War) is a strategic style game specially developed for iPhone & iPod touch users. It takes you back to the days of the American Revolutionary War, where you can use military tactics to defeat your enemies (economic mode and war mode are available).
You can select to join any of the forces from British, France, United States, Hessen, Germany and Spain which are divided into 2 alliances opposite to each other. You may increase your tax revenues by occupying the territory of your enemy, or you may occupy the enemys HQ to get his entire territory. Absolutely, you can construct your territory to receive more taxes.

-12 cards (Construction Card, Draft Card, General Card, Marshal Card, Ship Card, Fortress Card, Cannon Fire Card, etc.)
- 5 challenge levels.
- 5 battles (3 real-happened battles and 2 fictional battles)
- Enhanced risk style combat system (easy, direct and interesting) providing comfortable experience and easing your operation.
01-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Ah I wish I could buy this but I'm saving for Verruckt and Mirror's Edge...

Games I have beta tested: Minigore, Cogs, Guerilla Bob, Above and Beyond: Air Combat, Baseball Superstars 2010, 33rd Division, Cash Machine, 5 star General, Flick Football... Possibly some other ones I;ve forgotten

01-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Okay, so I TOFFT. I played a game of it earlier tonight... and spent a very enjoyable half-hour doing so.

The game is of generally high quality, even approaching AAA, but it's clear the text was translated from a language that is not English (German?), and wasn't run through a spell-check. That doesn't hurt the enjoyment of the game, though.

The core of the game is as the core of Risk. A number of countries start out on different parts of the map, with varying amounts of troops. The map is divided into many territories. Each territory has a tax value attached to it. Each turn, you choose actions to perform (the actions are called 'cards', but there's not really a card game aspect - translation of a board game?). These can be anything from reinforcing your troops, to firing cannon on territories adjacent to those you control, to boosting a troup group's attack or defence, to buying a ship to be able to engage in naval combat. Each action costs varying amounts of money, which you earn each turn through taxes, and there are reasonable restrictions on some of them. (For instance, you may only create reinforcements at certain important territories.)

You may perform as many actions as you may afford, each turn.

Combat is an important part of the game, and is abstract but satisfying. No matter how many troops you have in a territory, you may select up to 5 to make a sortie into a neighbouring occupied territory. You will then face off against five or less enemy troops. Each troop rolls a die, and in general, the highest modified (cards, etc.) numbers win. It's possible for some troops on both sides to survive.

You may keep performing these storties for as long as your troops survive. The moment you move into a vacant square or one occupied by your own troops, that particular stack of troops can't move until the next turn.

Graphics are very, very nice and reminiscent of a board game. Music was pleasing enough that I didn't turn it off. Sound effects are appropriate.

All in all, very worth the money for strategy fans.

Edit: Forgot to mention. The game ships with a number of scenarios corresponding to an historical situation. Each scenario has two alliances of nations pitted against each other. You choose to play a nation within the alliance. To win, you have to wipe out the other alliance's capitals.
01-27-2010, 04:44 AM
SLG game looks sweet.
Nice job, man.
01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
is this against AI or Multiplayer or both?!

There is a game called "European Wars Lite" which looks similar to this one, what exactly is the difference between those.
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
It's against the AI only. From what I can tell, European Wars is the same game, just with European-themed scenarios instead of US-themed ones.

While looking that up, I discovered the publisher is the same one behind the quirky but excellent 'Myth of Heroes Legend'.
01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
heh just happens the military Chanel is airing a show on the revolution war at this moment as i saw this thread. twilight zone.. will add this to my wish list.. check it out at a later date.

01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
so nervous

This is a very novel war mode. When serving as a commander in fighting, I feel so nervous as if it is the time to determine destiny when throwing the dice. The card system is well designed but the cards are little expensive. Besides, 5v5 is the maximum value during war and it will be better if there is another point.
01-27-2010, 11:38 PM
i make a mistake,this game is five star,i like risk and like this game
01-28-2010, 03:19 AM

I can't wait to play it!