★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How important is "multiplayer" to you?

View Poll Results: When you buy games, how important is "multiplayer" and would you pay more for it?
Multiplayer is great, I can see myself paying more for it 40 53.33%
It's nice, but I won't pay extra for it 18 24.00%
I don't care for it 17 22.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll
01-26-2009, 08:53 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 18
How important is "multiplayer" to you?

As a developer, I'd be very interested in the wisdom of the fine Touch Arcade crowd when it comes to the following question:

When you buy games for iPhone/iPod Touch, do you consider multiplayer features important? (obviously, doesn't apply to all games). If so, if you had two similar games (think various versions of chess, tic-tac-toe or even Bomberman vs Bomber Online), would you pay more for the one that supports multiplayer vs the one that doesn't?

Thanks in advance for your input

Developer of the multiplayer online game Scramboni | FriendFeed
01-26-2009, 08:58 AM
#2
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by byteclub View Post
As a developer, I'd be very interested in the wisdom of the fine Touch Arcade crowd when it comes to the following question:

When you buy games for iPhone/iPod Touch, do you consider multiplayer features important? (obviously, doesn't apply to all games). If so, if you had two similar games (think various versions of chess, tic-tac-toe or even Bomberman vs Bomber Online), would you pay more for the one that supports multiplayer vs the one that doesn't?

Thanks in advance for your input
It depends on the game. If the game has a solid singleplayer mode it can be not so important, while a tic-tac-toe does not make sense to me without the online. Actually I am tempted to buy Uno solely on the basis of the multiplayer feature.

01-26-2009, 09:01 AM
#3
Multiplayer adds a huge amount of replay value to a game. Once you finally beat the game you can spend that time just playing casually with people. People are always more fun and challenging to play than AI any day. If I was going to put money into a game on the app store, it would definitely be one with a fun multiplayer aspect to it. Think of what games like Galcon would be like without the multiplayer aspect to it. I can safely say that the games with multiplayer are the ones I always end up coming back to play in between classes.
01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
It depends on the game. If the game has a solid singleplayer mode it can be not so important, while a tic-tac-toe does not make sense to me without the online. Actually I am tempted to buy Uno solely on the basis of the multiplayer feature.
I believe that this "can" be true, but I would go as far as to say (most) games could benefit from a well done multiplayer for the very reasons I stated.
01-26-2009, 09:19 AM
#5
Honestly that's the first thing I look for about a game because that's what ultimately makes the game stand out! It's what makes me feel playing the game worth while because there's always 100% replay value
01-26-2009, 09:21 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 208
If a developer rreleased 3 version:

Lite (free, demo)
Full (payed, full version)
Super (payed ekstra, with multi-player)

I know quite a few games I would be willing to pay the ekstra for the multi-player, even games where I wouldn't be interested in single player.

I have a lot fo people to play with you see ;P

I prefer local multiplayer on a single iPod, but the other work too
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 534
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfinesth0ur View Post
Multiplayer adds a huge amount of replay value to a game. Once you finally beat the game you can spend that time just playing casually with people. People are always more fun and challenging to play than AI any day. If I was going to put money into a game on the app store, it would definitely be one with a fun multiplayer aspect to it. Think of what games like Galcon would be like without the multiplayer aspect to it. I can safely say that the games with multiplayer are the ones I always end up coming back to play in between classes.
Very true. You either have to make a very, very good single player, like Hero of Sparta, or come up with a very good multiplayer concept (UNO)or just very good multiplayer (Galcon). Sparta has an awesome single player mode. It's everything you could want in such a portable game for $9.99. UNO is, well, online UNO. Can't get better than that. Something I should bring up is that iShoot would absolutely flourish with a online multiplayer mode. *hint*. So it really depends on what kind of game you're looking to create.
01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 378
Means very little to me as a Touch user with little access to wi-fi. But I think it's a good feature, since I am in the minority probably with wi-fi coverage (and the iPhone...)so I think some games could really benefit from it.

However, I loathe when games are online only. It comes off as half a game to me.
01-26-2009, 10:01 AM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 349
Send a message via MSN to synagence
For me ... most of the times i tend to play games is when my data connection is less available....

If i have a good data connection i'll be on web or twitter etc
01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
I am one of those who couldn't care less about multiplayer games. I enjoy playing with my friends but not with random people. More than that I actually play games to relax instead of competing and I like my quiet time when I play.

BUT - I know a lot of people love multiplayer games!