★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Will the iPad change your plans or practices?

01-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Will the iPad change your plans or practices?

A purely curiosity-based Q for our precious devo's:

Will the introduction of the iPad change anything for you?
(...If it should become an actual presense in the marketplace...)

Must you develop with one eye on two seperate markets? Do you focus on one or the other? Do you treat them essentially the same?
Are there things you can only do with the iPad, and vice-versa?

I'm sure as developers you can all think of more pertinent and significant questions than I.
So how about it?
What issues does this raise for you? And what changes can you foresee?
01-27-2010, 08:16 PM
With the app I'm developing right now, the extra screen space will allow me to open up the interface quite a bit and make it more 'playable.' Instead of cramming the ui into such a small space, I can spread out a bit and have fun with it. So, I'm definitely looking forward to that, although the iPhone version will still be fun and usable... I hope Apple lets us make a distinction between a tablet app and an iPhone app somehow. I'm sure there will be a way to tell what device it's running on, and the ui can adapt accordingly.

01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I was a bit disappointed to find out that the split view controller fixes the first pane to a width of 320 points in landscape, and when viewed in portrait the first pane is hidden and the second pane fills the screen. I'd have liked a bit more flexibility with that but I understand the need for a consistent UI.

Other than that, I'd like to take advantage of the higher resolution, it would mean that assets could be shared easily between the PC, XBox and the iPad.
01-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFuntime View Post
With the app I'm developing right now, the extra screen space will allow me to open up the interface quite a bit and make it more 'playable.' Instead of cramming the ui into such a small space, I can spread out a bit and have fun with it. So, I'm definitely looking forward to that, although the iPhone version will still be fun and usable... I hope Apple lets us make a distinction between a tablet app and an iPhone app somehow. I'm sure there will be a way to tell what device it's running on, and the ui can adapt accordingly.
Yes, you can make one app for iPod/iPhone & one app for iPad, or you can make one Universal app that runs on both (although the 3.2 SDK does not support this -- a later SDK version will support it).

At runtime you will definitely be able to tell which device you are on, although I didn't check the SDK yet to see how that is done.
01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sims View Post
I was a bit disappointed to find out that the split view controller fixes the first pane to a width of 320 points in landscape, and when viewed in portrait the first pane is hidden and the second pane fills the screen. I'd have liked a bit more flexibility with that but I understand the need for a consistent UI.

Other than that, I'd like to take advantage of the higher resolution, it would mean that assets could be shared easily between the PC, XBox and the iPad.
Yeah, that seems pretty arbitrary to me too. Why can't I specify the width or even better make it resizable with a finger control.
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
Yeah, that seems pretty arbitrary to me too. Why can't I specify the width or even better make it resizable with a finger control.
Yeah, it's disappointing but I think the fact that they're allowing external displays is fantastic, you could run a game on an external screen at 720p and use the iPad to control it. I can imagine some amazing strategy games that take adavantage of it.
01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
for now, no. im gonna stick with iphone. Seeing as im an artist, it means more detail and better larger work for me. And i dont have one, so no. But maybe in the future...

The Life Blog
Minecraft
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
I have already few outlines and ideas for the app in iPad.
I can't wait to develop on that.

Only a bummer is my macbook don't support high res, it would be a bit difficult
to develop, but doable.

Very happy with iPad launch!! Hope SDK4.0 will come out soon!
01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I'd like to work on a game designed specifically for the device. It's going to be great multiplayer sit down games like chess, or "group" games like Feildrunners.

People aren't seeing the purpose of the device. It's the computer for the rest of us. The iPod touch is coming from a small iPod's perspective, and won't quite replace the average person's tech needs. The iPad is simple enough for anyone to use, yet complex enough to do work on - real work!

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

01-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletDev View Post
People aren't seeing the purpose of the device. It's the computer for the rest of us. The iPod touch is coming from a small iPod's perspective, and won't quite replace the average person's tech needs. The iPad is simple enough for anyone to use, yet complex enough to do work on - real work!
Real work? Without multitasking? Without support for native OS X apps that are already in use? What kind of real work are you trying to do?

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone