★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Official "Falling Sands" Thread - Suggestions wanted!

01-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Official "Falling Sands" Thread - Suggestions wanted!

Hello from ZodTTD!

Some may know me from the jailbreaking scene. Though I'm also the author of the AppStore app, Falling Sands.

Falling Sands is a clone of the popular Java Applet/web games where you take different types of 'sands' and mix them to see the interaction and chaos that occurs.

I've been meaning to update Falling Sands for quite awhile now. I just submitted an update (v2.9.0) that includes the following:
  • Explosive sands. Light a fuse sand with fire, send the fuse to the assorted bombs, and watch them explode.
  • Bomb types that include acid bomb, fire bomb, and napalm bomb.
  • Use your photo's on your iPhone and iPod Touch as backgrounds in the game.
  • Improved menu system.

I've found out why most sand games are so basic though. Performance can become an issue for calculating grains of sand, different sized particles can be difficult to integrate including objects (like zombies ), etc.

I realize this program needs polish so I've cleaned things up a bit and added the new menu system. As I'm not an artist and have limited resources, getting art for seemingly simple things like icons and backgrounds is difficult.

If this game interests you, I'd like to know what you'd like to see from Falling Sands?

UPDATED
Here's some screenshots of v3.0.0:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.02.22 09.13.59.png
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1310 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.02.22 09.13.48.png
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1311 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2009.02.16 22.15.56.png
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1312

ZodTTD - Software developer and owner of ZodTTD.com
Check out my AppStore games:
Falling Sands
Falling Sands Free

Last edited by zodttd; 02-23-2009 at 10:36 PM.
01-26-2009, 04:31 PM

01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Send a message via MSN to firstprime
i would love to see it more polished, i loved the original Java game but i always felt it seemed unfinished or it was missing something. you should also add things like people and that spinning white blob that consumes everything.
(from the original). also the explosions and fire are always fun, you should add different explosives with different reactions and power e.g. petrol, napalm, gunpowder, etc. also a nuke that destroys everything in a spectacular glorious firestorm!!!

01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi! Thanks mek!

firstprime: Oh I forgot about that spinning white blob completely! I can add that for sure! A nuke would be cool too. I will definitely be focusing on more explosive sands for the game! Thanks!
01-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstprime View Post
i would love to see it more polished, i loved the original Java game but i always felt it seemed unfinished or it was missing something. you should also add things like people and that spinning white blob that consumes everything.
(from the original). also the explosions and fire are always fun, you should add different explosives with different reactions and power e.g. petrol, napalm, gunpowder, etc. also a nuke that destroys everything in a spectacular glorious firestorm!!!

I believe salt killed the white blob though.
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Salt dampens fire as well. Do you think the whiteblob should spawn randomly?
01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Send a message via MSN to firstprime
im not sure if your up for adding completely new features to the game but maybe puzzle mode would be really good, like in aqua forest.
maybe you could have to do certain things with limited material or blow something up with a certain explosive.
if you would consider this it would probably take a while to do so
maybe not for this patch.

also if it could have a tiny town on the bottom with tiny people, so that
you may reign down destruction upon them!!!!

with the puzzle or preloaded scenery idea i think you could do alot.

oohhhh, have a person on one side of the screen and zombies heading towards him. and you have to kill the zombies with fire,etc. and stop
them from reaching the guy.

i dunno if it would be possible to use any of these ideas, just what i think would be really good.

01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Just took a look at the appstore page. Those icons look nasty, give me a pm and I'd be happy to try and make some nicer ones for you.
01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Wha...?! Falling sands is an app! How close is it to the original java game (that I so dearly love )?
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
puzzles sounds like an amazing concept
even a simple puzzle maker, like to allow the user to create some goals or objectives and save them, then load and play them

then of course, the free play mode is what falling sands is all about

the more options the better