★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Appeal for multi-device gaming

01-28-2010, 06:12 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 534
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
Appeal for multi-device gaming

Now that the iPad's been announced, I presume that it means something for gamers. Obviously, a lot of gamers will be moving their games over to the iPad. But as it is now, game progress can't be transferred automatically via itunes between devices, like I can't have Hook Champ on my iTouch and iPhone, unlock a certain item on my iTouch, and then sync to my iPhone, and have my game the same. Hence, I appeal to the developers out there to update your games with a system whereby game progress can be carried over between devices. I think it's best if developers came up with a way to carry over game progress from device to device. I'd imagine that you could create an account online on their servers, which would store your game progress. That way, if you switch to another device, you'd just have to log in and all your progress would stay. Just program the servers to store data like scores, money (if it's that type of game) unlockables, stats, etc, and then let the game itself interpret the data and produce the same game state as on the previous device.

This addition to the iDevices is a bigger one that the iPhone and iTouch, where many users had one or the other. Now, with two devices in different categories being able to play the same game, there'll be many more people with two iDevices, and they'll want to be able to synchronize game progress between them. Often times, I'll play my iTouch when it's inconvenient to use an iPad, but at others, I'll be using my iPad when my iTouch runs out of battery, etc. So really, we need this feature. Please talk to your favorite devs and ask them to implement these features.

Sierra275 on Gameloft Live, Openfeint, Gamecenter, and most other social gaming networks on the iTouch.
01-28-2010, 06:33 AM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Punturin
Posts: 1,219
what the real problem is developers will have a lot of work
too many different devices to support
there's iPhone 2g/3g and IPT 1g
and there's IPT 2G,IPT 3g and iPhone 3gs
now iPad will be added
different optimizations are needed in each device
too many compatibility issues will come
remember the iPhone 4g is yet to come

WTF= What the F*ck!
FTW=F*ck the What?
01-28-2010, 06:41 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra275 View Post
Now that the iPad's been announced, I presume that it means something for gamers. Obviously, a lot of gamers will be moving their games over to the iPad. But as it is now, game progress can't be transferred automatically via itunes between devices, like I can't have Hook Champ on my iTouch and iPhone, unlock a certain item on my iTouch, and then sync to my iPhone, and have my game the same. Hence, I appeal to the developers out there to update your games with a system whereby game progress can be carried over between devices. I think it's best if developers came up with a way to carry over game progress from device to device. I'd imagine that you could create an account online on their servers, which would store your game progress. That way, if you switch to another device, you'd just have to log in and all your progress would stay. Just program the servers to store data like scores, money (if it's that type of game) unlockables, stats, etc, and then let the game itself interpret the data and produce the same game state as on the previous device.

This addition to the iDevices is a bigger one that the iPhone and iTouch, where many users had one or the other. Now, with two devices in different categories being able to play the same game, there'll be many more people with two iDevices, and they'll want to be able to synchronize game progress between them. Often times, I'll play my iTouch when it's inconvenient to use an iPad, but at others, I'll be using my iPad when my iTouch runs out of battery, etc. So really, we need this feature. Please talk to your favorite devs and ask them to implement these features.
Thank you for bringing that point to here. I did not realize how cool would it be to play the same game on a HD, comfortable iPad version at home, and then continue its progression on a simplified version on iPhone in transports.

Therefore profile transfer is an excellent idea.
Dev wise, it's not really a problem, as there just need to be a stocking server on which you would sync.
01-28-2010, 06:52 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 534
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugi_igi View Post
what the real problem is developers will have a lot of work
too many different devices to support
there's iPhone 2g/3g and IPT 1g
and there's IPT 2G,IPT 3g and iPhone 3gs
now iPad will be added
different optimizations are needed in each device
too many compatibility issues will come
remember the iPhone 4g is yet to come
I realize there are a lot of platforms now, but it doesn't really matter. All the servers would need to do is save important information, like game stats and all, and replicate them in the new device. I mean, if NFS Shift will run on both the iTouch/iPhone and the iPad, then the cars that you unlock don't make much of a difference to performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0re View Post
Thank you for bringing that point to here. I did not realize how cool would it be to play the same game on a HD, comfortable iPad version at home, and then continue its progression on a simplified version on iPhone in transports.

Therefore profile transfer is an excellent idea.
Dev wise, it's not really a problem, as there just need to be a stocking server on which you would sync.
Haha thanks. It's great to hear it won't be much of a problem for developers. I just heard in another thread that Openfeint 2.4 is going to be able to transfer save game data online, something called 'network save card'. Anyone have any info on that? Thanks to Steve Oldmeadow for the info.

Sierra275 on Gameloft Live, Openfeint, Gamecenter, and most other social gaming networks on the iTouch.
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
#5
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
Tell me about it! I'm dying to sync saved games for Battleheart (absolutely excellent iOS action-RPG, by the way - highly recommended, and a steal for $3) between my iPhone and iPad.

This would be a killer feature for Game Center in, say, iOS 5. I hope Apple is on top on this. They should be, since it makes buying multiple iOS devices even more appealing, and strengthens their overall ecosystem.