★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Blue defense or blue attack?

01-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Blue defense or blue attack?

i want one of these games, but im already at the full 9 pages and i dont wanna have to delete a lot of apps. Which one do you prefer, TA users?
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
If you have to choose only one, go with Blue Attack!

If you can squeeze both, get both.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Blue Attack is deeper and more complex in terms of gameplay. It's also very polished. I'd go for BA.
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I figured that I would buy the first in the series and see how I liked it. Although Blue Defense looks very simple and boring, it is actually very fun. I haven't bought Blue Attack yet, but I will probably get it this weekend because I would like some revenge on the Red Guys.
01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I like Blue Attack better. I'd go with it.
01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I would say to go with blue attack

Waiting for: Plants vs. Zombies, Cogs, Riddim Ribbon
Plus+: arono
01-26-2009, 11:11 PM
I've been wary of promoting or denigrating games due to my limited post history as I don't want to present the appearance of having an agenda. I guess I'm about to violate my little rule.

I bought Blue Attack the night it was released and I haven't been able to get enough of it. BA manages to juggle being both pick up and play friendly and offer good depth through the upgrade system. It's just an all around fun game that I would've happily bought on PSN. The gameplay transcends handheld quality. It manages to remind me of playing the atari or coleco when I was a kid and in the same breath remind me of playing Super Stardust on the PS3 (in intensity, not graphics.) I suppose I'm gushing a little bit about the game but it just has a timeless quality to it and I think it's easily worth 5 times its price.

That being said, I bought Blue Defense after so thoroughly enjoying Blue Attack. It just didn't click with me. I probably played it for 30 minutes before diving right back in to BA. I'm not going to say it's a bad game because I don't really think it is. It's just a victim of it's younger siblings success. Attack improves on Defense in every conceivable way. I still view buying Defense as money well spent because I truly believe that Attack is easily worth more than the developer chose to charge for it.

I understand an update is coming to Defense. I welcome any developer that is willing to support 'yesterday's app.'
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I enjoyed Blue Defense but it got old quickly. Now having played Blue Attack, I really have no desire to ever play BD again unless the upcoming update is a substantial improvement. Right now there's just no comparison. BA is much more fleshed out in all respects. You're not just shooting from a fixed position round after round like in BD. You're maneuvering around and blasting more varied enemies, dodging kamikazes, customizing your ships with new upgrades after every round, playing through multiple paths in campaign or infinite mode... none of this is found in BD (yet).
01-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, I'll be the dissenting voice and say Blue Defense, but really, just plan on buying both, because after playing one, you'll want the other, this I guarantee. These are, in my opinion, two of the best games on the platform, and really, the dealbreaker for me is that I can play Blue Defense one-handed. I smoke, thus, this is quite the benefit. Blue Attack is seriously the best smokebreak game ever. Even beyond that, being in that age bracket, it has a simplicity that calls back to the games of my youth, while still managing to feel fresh. Call me sappy or cliched, or whatever else might come to mind, but yeah, I dig it.

Eh, whatever. Buy either. You'll love it. If after either one, you don't want the other, I just plain don't understand you :-P
01-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Attack has more depth to the gameplay, but Defense is a unique experience and a lot of fun.

If you buy one, you'll eventually buy both.