★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So how did the full game in-app purchases pan out?

01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
So how did the full game in-app purchases pan out?

When in-app purchases came onto the scene I remember it being held up as a potential positive step towards battling piracy, specifically the method in which you charge for the full game within a lite version. I know some games have opted for this method but I am surprised because with such a prospect as 'no piracy' one would expect almost everyone would be jumping in on it.

So how did it pan out for those that tried it out, especially to those that changed the same game from full game payment to full game in-app? Did it actually have a positive effect on sales, or was the image thus appeal of your game damaged by the fact that anybody (including trolls) could review your game (well, the free part of it)?

I apologise if this has been discussed before, I am just curious as to the success of this payment method for the app store. Thank you.
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm interested as well. The problem I have with it is that it's very constraining the way they have set it up wrt cross game upgrades (at least as far as I can tell).

Checkout Poker AnyTIME!, our new turn based heads up Texas Hold'em game
Please Like Us on Facebook!
Crafted with care by Gutshot LLC

01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDSage View Post
I know some games have opted for this method but I am surprised because with such a prospect as 'no piracy' one would expect almost everyone would be jumping in on it..
DLC requires iphone os 3.0

keep in mind a bunch of developers know that a lot of ipod touch users are using iphone os 2.2.1 - and did not make the upgrade. it is really difficult to justify switching to 3.0 as the minimal os version and use DLC.. we are debating it for an upcoming game we are working on

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I think, just my opinion anyway, that it should be the game with a good amount of content for the base price, say 99c or like 1.99. then for extras and other things that enhance the gameplay, it should be in-app purchaces. I think the new game cogs works perfectly with this idea.

[ERROR<:>/ insert witty saying here/>]
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
DLC requires iphone os 3.0

keep in mind a bunch of developers know that a lot of ipod touch users are using iphone os 2.2.1 - and did not make the upgrade. it is really difficult to justify switching to 3.0 as the minimal os version and use DLC.. we are debating it for an upcoming game we are working on
Ah..... see, I forgot about that. It is a pity Apple doesn't make it free for the benefit of developers (which will end up benefitting them in the long-run as they take a cut from software sales), considering most other companies dothis with regards to firmware updates.
01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
We went this way with Tap Studio. The full functionality is available with our PRO Upgrade in app purchase.

We're currently getting around a 2% conversion rate (free users who purchase PRO). We're hoping to improve that rate with our next update that will be out soon.

We've been quite happy with how it's worked out. There have been a few issues for some users, but it's typically related to jailbroken devices and other installed apps.

It's true about piracy, our PRO Upgrade has not been cracked. So that's nice, especially since we have server side support for those users.

We are planning to release a standalone PRO version soon though. Just looking for more exposure. Hopefully the pirates won't overwhelm our server.

Drop D Studios LLC www.dropdstudios.com Facebook Twitter
Developers of Tap Studio 3 HD, Tap Studio 3 PRO, Tap Studio 3, the original Tap Studio and more!
01-31-2010, 12:10 AM
I'd also like to see more opinions as to how this strategy turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDSage View Post
...or was the image thus appeal of your game damaged by the fact that anybody (including trolls) could review your game (well, the free part of it)?
I never thought of it this way; the only negative I've ever thought of was not appearing on the paid list.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
01-31-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:
http://gamesfromwithin.com/making-a-...hone-app-store

He breaks down the numbers of in-app purchases for full and lite versions.

Quote:
It is a pity Apple doesn't make it free for the benefit of developers (which will end up benefitting them in the long-run as they take a cut from software sales), considering most other companies dothis with regards to firmware updates.
I believe this is an accounting issue. The law known as Sarbanes-Oxley prohibits adding features to products that have already been paid for. Minor revisions don't add features, but the jump from 2.x to 3.x probably violates this. IIRC, iPhones aren't subjected to this b/c the user is still paying monthly.
01-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Send a message via MSN to daveak
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
I believe this is an accounting issue. The law known as Sarbanes-Oxley prohibits adding features to products that have already been paid for. Minor revisions don't add features, but the jump from 2.x to 3.x probably violates this. IIRC, iPhones aren't subjected to this b/c the user is still paying monthly.
That is often mentioned, so how do Microsoft for instance get away with giving away service packs for free? These include new features. Same thing applies to firmware for the PS3 and I'm sure there are other cases.

As others provide feature upgrades I am more inclined to think there is a charge simple because Apple want to charge a fee, and provide an additional incentive to purchase the more expensive iPhone instead of an iPod.

Alpha Numeric - Find words and solve sums against the clock.
01-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Sarbanes-Oxley

I call crap. Apple make people pay because they can make make people pay.

If it's not crap someone please point to absolute proof from a tax entity that say Apple UK can make me pay for an american tax. No hearsay, no "My mate said", no 'Well it says on that site..."