★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Smiles HD for iPad

01-29-2010, 02:47 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Smiles HD for iPad - ** FREE for April 3rd Launch **

- - - - -

Hey,

Just thought I'd mention I'll be releasing an iPad version of Smiles. I brought some pictures too.

If you're unfamiliar with Smiles, you can check out the iPhone trailer at the website:

http://www.smiles-game.com

Smiles HD is based on Smiles, but will include several changes to suit the iPad.

The biggest change that players of the original should notice is the playfield. iPhone Smiles uses a larger 8x9 playfield, and you would physically rotate the iPhone to change the way things fell. Smiles HD will actually use a smaller 8x8 playfield, and have buttons on screen for rotating. You'll still be able to physically rotate the iPad to change the fall direction (or play tall or wide if you like), but it wont be required. Comfortably grip the iPad in one hand, and tap matches with the other.

Also, due to the smaller playfield, games are shorter now. One of the bigger complaints (or rather, confusing points) of the original is that an Easy or Long Play game would always last a really long time. I don't have any fancy statistics to back this up, but roughly speaking an average Long Play game would take me 30+ minutes in iPhone Smiles, and now takes me 20+ minutes. I think this is an improvement, but I will be leaving iPhone Smiles as-is for those that prefer the original way.

Also as the name suggests, Smiles HD will feature higher resolution graphics. After all, the iPad has more resolution, so I may as well use it.

There's numerous other changes to the game as well. The differences between Drop and Drop+ should make a lot more sense now (Drop+ is now the "ice cracks in 4" modes). It's something I wanted to fix in the original iPhone version, but would break a lot of things. It's the kind of change that had to wait for a clean slate like an iPad version.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Now for some screenshots. Click for high resolution.

EDIT: Early shots removed. Here are some final shots. Click for full size:

- - - -

EDIT: Gameplay videos. Trailer coming soon.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner

Last edited by PoV; 04-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.
01-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Looks very interesting, I must admit. I am yet to own the iPhone version though.

01-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Out of interest, When Devs release their games as optimed iPad versions will we have to purchase them again?

Game Center - Parrabolic
Current Favourites: Final Fantasy Tactics! , Final Fantasy I & II, Groove Coaster, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Fruit Ninja, Gesundheit!
01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Whoa, I was just going to suggest this; this looks amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero144 View Post
Out of interest, When Devs release their games as optimed iPad versions will we have to purchase them again?
Nobody knows for sure yet.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoV View Post
....will include several changes to suit the iPad...
....have buttons on screen for rotating...
Am in LOVE with this game on my iPod touch....
The BEST thing tht U did was add that rotational button so tht we do not have to turn the whole thing around

For PpL who don't like it, read ma sig

Mis-quotes!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
The bottom two is where you can buy your bottom turrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
at this point I should say we're not looking for anymore guys
01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
From what I understand yes. The developer has no say over this as the iPad versions will be seperate from the iPhone versions. You'll still be able to play the original version on the iPad it just won't look as nice

Steamroller Studios maker of Super Shock Football
Latest News: Super Shock Football HD hits the App Store
Super Shock Football HD on TouchArcade
For more info check out our Website or follow us on Twitter.
01-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Quote:
For the most part, yes. Smiles is one of several iPhone apps that fall under 10 Megabytes in size. This means it can actually be downloaded over the 3G cellular network, as Apple and the Carriers imposes this restriction on us. Files larger than that need to be downloaded either by iTunes or over Wifi.

Smiles HD has larger art files in it, meaning it breaks that 10 MB limit. A piece of art that is 2x the detail takes up 4x the space. The final size of Smiles HD is somewhere around 20-25 MB. So for one, I just couldn't fit it in 10 MB.

And because it's a separate version, it gives us a chance to make changes or improvements to original game, plus optimize it for the iPad experience. I think most players will appreciate what's changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo
The BEST thing tht U did was add that rotational button so tht we do not have to turn the whole thing around
I'm glad you like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrollerstudios
You'll still be able to play the original version on the iPad it just won't look as nice
That's right. The iPhone originals should all still work. So if you prefer the old way and don't mind pixel scaling, or just don't feel like spending money on the same game again, you don't have to.

01-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoV View Post
For the most part, yes. Smiles is one of several iPhone apps that fall under 10 Megabytes in size. This means it can actually be downloaded over the 3G cellular network, as Apple and the Carriers imposes this restriction on us. Files larger than that need to be downloaded either by iTunes or over Wifi.

Smiles HD has larger art files in it, meaning it breaks that 10 MB limit. A piece of art that is 2x the detail takes up 4x the space. The final size of Smiles HD is somewhere around 20-25 MB. So for one, I just couldn't fit it in 10 MB.

And because it's a separate version, it gives us a chance to make changes or improvements to original game, plus optimize it for the iPad experience. I think most players will appreciate what's changed.

I'm glad you like that.

That's right. The iPhone originals should all still work. So if you prefer the old way and don't mind pixel scaling, or just don't feel like spending money on the same game again, you don't have to.
Actually the size limit is just for downloading and that only applies over the carriers network, but Apple stated that later down the line you will be able to make Hybrid/Universal binaries that will be able to run on Phone + Pad in the same file. Personally I think i'm going to have to port my TD game to iPad as a seperate game initially, unless apple releases the universal build first, but will universal binaries still be 2.2.x compatible, because I would hate to leave the 2.x crowd behind.

Developer of Port Defender, & Have a Masters Degree in Software Engineering and actually have a real Job
03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I loved Smiles on the iPhone so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Twitter: @bgribin
03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
A couple "in development" shots.

I've done some extra detailing and touch-ups to the HD artwork, and added an extra layer to the background effect in Drop.

I'm shooting for Apple's deadline. Back to that.