★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: iFanzine.blogspot.com says: "...the game is a blast. Well worth a whirl. 7.5 out of 10"

Appmodo.com says: "Graphics are good with smooth flowing animations. Game sounds are quite amazing from the opening narration right down to its eerie sounds of the night. The combination of both the visual and audio effects suits the game to a tee. Gore Ball for iPhone and iPod Touch comes recommended..."

NoDPad.com says: "A unique novelty to own on your iDevice, Gore Ball demonstrates that fresh ideas are always here for new games. Its enjoyable and fun to play..."

Story Overview:

Hale Galeric, a knight, returns home from the holy crusades only to find his way of life and spiritual beliefs have been turned upside down. A pure evil has swept across the land, killing Hale's wife and daughter in it's wake. The people call it The Darkness as the light itself can not escape its clutches. Called upon by the Gods, Hale takes up his sword and pushes fourth to cleanse the land and restore peace to all.

Chapter One Synopsis:

In this first chapter of Hale's Quest, The Darkness has plagued the land causing the undead to rise from their graves. Hale is charged by the Gods to destroy the cursed portals and the unholy creatures crawling from them. Playing as Hale, you're armed with a big sword and the spells bestowed upon you. See how long you can survive in this all-out gib fest!

Features:
Bat-n-Ball gameplay with a new twist
Fast paced slice-n-dice zombie action
Presented in full realtime 3D
Simple pick up & play controls
Selectable camera views
Random levels for unlimited gameplay
Extensive audio for an immersive experience
Difficulty modes, for the weak of heart and the hardcore gamer
OpenFeint integration*
Local & Global leaderboards*
Unlockable achievements
In-game forums & chat*
Extras & New Features coming soon to future updates!

*Wifi connection required to take advantage of all OpenFeint features

goiMot's comments:

video:
http://vimeo.com/8782614
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Just picked it up. Will report soon.

01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Just picked it up. Will report soon.

Looking forward to hearing about this. I am going to end up with about eight new games today, so it would be nice to read about one first.
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Wow this looks good..I'm really tempted to just buy it but I'll wait for SZ's impressions.

[Hurry up SZ ]
01-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek420 View Post
Wow this looks good..I'm really tempted to just buy it but I'll wait for SZ's impressions.

[Hurry up SZ ]
Alright, alright. My impressions are based on 10 or 15 minutes worth of gameplay -- please bear that in mind.

This is the kind of game that reminds me why I love the iPlatform so much. Can you imagine the management at Activision or EA approving a game that combines Arkanoid, hack 'n slash, and survival horror? If that sounds crazy to you, well, that's because it is. Utterly batsh*t. And, for some mysterious reason, it works -- perhaps because the developers seem totally aware of how ludicrous the whole concept is, and just don't give a crap. Though the graphics are really just adequate (the animation is good, but the polygon count is fairly low), they've taken care of polishing every aspect of the game, from the intro sequence, to the main menu, to the action and controls.

The gameplay is broken up into a series of graveyard levels, with the gravestones serving as the blocks of an Arkanoid-style game. You start with ten gore balls, which damage the stones as they bounce against them, eventually breaking them. You tilt to move you're character from left to right. At the same time, zombies are rising from their graves and advancing upon you. The ball does a bit of damage to them at first, but as you break the gravestones you unlock power-ups that turn it a flying rotating saw. You can also slash the zombies (by tapping anywhere) when they get close enough to you, with additional power ups that turn your weapon into a flaming sword. Getting hit by a zombie damages you momentarily and, what's worse, obscures your view with blood splatters, which makes it difficult to follow the red ball on the screen. You finish the level when you destroy all the gravestones; you die if you run out of gore balls (I'm not sure about this, but I think you get an additional one when you complete a level). At any time you can change the camera angle from a near-top-down view to a behind-the-back third person one. Frame rates seems high and the action in general is very smooth.

I've been playing it in normal difficulty and have yet to make it past the second level. Still, I'm having a blast with it. In concept and execution, the game feels totally original to me (though I'm sure someone will prove me wrong on that score), and the action is pretty intense throughout, especially when you're trying to find the ball while surrounded by zombies. Not sure what other people will make of the game, but I think anyone who is at least intrigued by the idea should probably check it out.

Last edited by squarezero; 01-29-2010 at 06:28 PM.
01-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
hmmmm sounds like fun, placed it on the next month buy list

You won't find me on the leaderboards.
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Uhhh..Still undecided..Are the devs active in the forums?
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Uhhh..Still undecided..Are the devs active in the forums?
Yes, they are. Hopefully they'll be jumping in soon. Do you have any questions about the game? Maybe I can answer in the meantime.
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Yes, they are. Hopefully they'll be jumping in soon. Do you have any questions about the game? Maybe I can answer in the meantime.
I guess its basically just the premise of gameplay, kind of skeptical about it. Sounds fun but at the same time Idk.
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
I guess its basically just the premise of gameplay, kind of skeptical about it. Sounds fun but at the same time Idk.
Yeah, you kind of have to buy into the concept. It's a very polished title, though.