★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Dave Klein
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 1.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Orbs! Orbs! All types of orbs! Everybody absorb some orbs!
"The task of actually moving the orbs is wonderful in itself... If you are a fan of Eliss, you will love [absorb]." - CreativeApplications.net
"A great game to play on the go, or even to absorb ourselves in it for a long time." - iPhoneFootprint.com

The game that has been called a complete sensory joy to play is here! Check out the gameplay trailer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Sjd1CcW0k

A note of warning: this game may seem simple on the surface, but provides one of the most interesting challenges available on the App Store. We hope you check it out!

How it works:
Use vectors to change the direction the orbs are travelling in. Combine them to build huge orbs or pull them into their gate to be absorbed. Like colored orbs are attracted to each other through gravity. Gates are destroyed if different colored object come in contact.

Your task:
Complete 30 unique and fun tasks, using your own strategies and skills to become an [absorb] master!

Features:
-30 achievement-style levels, truly testing your skills.
-15 different color palettes allowing you to customize the look and feel of the entire game.
-Customized soundtrack generated by your actions.
-Classic arcade design and feel.
-Extremely polished touch-control gameplay.
-Full stat tracking displaying total orbs absorbed, total time played and much more!

Devilishly Good's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
01-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Interesting game. Haven't gotten too far, it's a lot harder than you might expect; the blobs have inertia and it can make them very difficult to maneuver accurately. I imagine it'll become easier as you get used to the curve.

01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah we put in a basic physics system to make it a bit organic. Like-colored orbs are attracted to each other by gravity, with bigger orbs having a greater pull.

When orbs are pulled by the player we use some simple vector addition that does take a little getting used to. We found that added an element of fun that touchscreen games so often take away with 1:1 control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSporkWithin View Post
Interesting game. Haven't gotten too far, it's a lot harder than you might expect; the blobs have inertia and it can make them very difficult to maneuver accurately. I imagine it'll become easier as you get used to the curve.
02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Here is a new gameplay trailer for [absorb]. It shows off the game quite a bit better than the original video:

Youtube link | Pop Up
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow, this game is really addicting.
I've been playing it alot but it is really challenging so I have not got too far yet. But from what I have played, awesome!
Its like an arcade game but it is unlike anything I have ever played before. Basically there are five colors. Orbs appear from each color and you have to match them up with their portal (the colorful lines at the bottom of the screen). Orbs can be combined with other orbs of the same color to score more points. However, orbs of one color can't touch each other and orbs can only touch the portal that is the same color as them. Portals can disappear for several reasons:
1. two different color orbs touch
2. an orb touches the wrong colored portal
3. an orb goes through a null/missing portal
4. orbs that are too large to fit into a portal
However portals can be restored by combining orbs to make larger orbs.
I like really how the orbs are affected by realistic physics - it really adds to the effects of the game and makes it difficult. The game goes by levels so it gets steadily harder. You have to learn exactly how much force you should use on each orb when pulling them around and how to manage the space on the screen. Great game, challenging and fun.
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM
So it's like Mixt...

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM imagery View Post
So it's like Mixt...
Never heard of Mixt
02-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Thanks for tipping us to this game it looks fun. While [absorb] shares a couple of basic gameplay elements with the game I think you will find the two to be quite different. Some notable differences that drastically change gameplay:
1. Mixt allows different colored globs to mix, thereby also mixing their colors. [absorb] does not, and if you try this then both globs and one of the gates is destroyed, meaning globs of that color have no safe place to go.
2. The globs in Mixt are constantly moving downward towards the goals, making this much more of a puzzle-type game. In [absorb] while they start out in a constant direction, realtime physics soon takes over making this much more of a "skill" game.
3. I haven't had the chance to play it yet but it looks like the goals in Mixt are often pretty much the same, where you have to "destroy" a certain number of goals down at the bottom in order to proceed to the next level. [absorb] has 30 distinct levels with various tasks you have to perform, with more of a sandbox-type feel. Many of the goals require you to perform bank shots, build up large orbs, or even get orbs into their gate by only using the force of gravity.

There are several other differences that I think make both games distinct and I hope you check out [absorb] to see the differences for yourself.
02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
there's now a Lite to try:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id355714743?mt=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.