★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Poll: What do you think about tilt?

View Poll Results: Do you think the mass market is ready to 'tilt'?
Yes! Totally! Keep it going! 20 40.00%
Yes! But the existing games haven't implemented it to my expectations. 17 34.00%
Nah, it's more trouble than its worth. 10 20.00%
Other. Care to comment? 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll
01-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Poll: What do you think about tilt?

Hi, I'm interested to hear what your experiences and thoughts on the current games that uses the accelerometer feature. My current game uses tilting as the primary movement control, and I have resisted adding a touched based movement control as an add-on from the beginning. However, I've seen on forums and reviews asking for it. I think I will be adding it soon, but do you think the mass market is ready for some tilt action? Or do you think it's still in its infant stage?

I have a pending update at the App store, so I have lots of promo codes to unload. :-) Just PM me.

Developer for 2079
01-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Personally I've moved away from games that primarily use the accelerometer. I like it when they use it to do something different or unexpected. Maybe I haven't played enough games that use it really well, but I'm pretty much over it and tend to go more for touch control games myself.

01-27-2009, 05:04 AM
I agree with ozron - I much prefer touch-control games.

Last edited by Selina; 01-27-2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling error
01-27-2009, 05:24 AM
It works, and I love it, but only for certain kind of games.
For example, any flying game, racing game and rolling game (Rolando) needs tilt or I would not buy them.

But tilt shouldn't be used for platform games, eg. Bugdom (thank god they put the control pad in their recent update)

I think its a godsend for racing games especially, as you can't really get the same analogue control with touch (unless they use a slider bar but that's really inelegant)
01-27-2009, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTong View Post
Hi, I'm interested to hear what your experiences and thoughts on the current games that uses the accelerometer feature. My current game uses tilting as the primary movement control, and I have resisted adding a touched based movement control as an add-on from the beginning. However, I've seen on forums and reviews asking for it. I think I will be adding it soon, but do you think the mass market is ready for some tilt action? Or do you think it's still in its infant stage?

I have a pending update at the App store, so I have lots of promo codes to unload. :-) Just PM me.
By the way, I definitely think 2079 does NOT need touch. Your game is brilliant the way it is.
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
i like subtle use of the accelerometer in games like flight sims, but for car games and of the like i much presser to press buttons to steer.

i love the 'Poll Position' steering wheel too.
01-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
i like subtle use of the accelerometer in games like flight sims, but for car games and of the like i much presser to press buttons to steer.

i love the 'Poll Position' steering wheel too.
Can I ask why? I've always thought racing games are impossible without analogue steering, eg. Accelerometer, actual wheel or analogue joystick.
01-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
It works, and I love it, but only for certain kind of games.
For example, any flying game, racing game and rolling game (Rolando) needs tilt or I would not buy them.

But tilt shouldn't be used for platform games, eg. Bugdom (thank god they put the control pad in their recent update)

I think its a godsend for racing games especially, as you can't really get the same analogue control with touch (unless they use a slider bar but that's really inelegant)
++++1

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.
01-27-2009, 06:40 AM
There are some good games like Rolando and such, but if done well enough I've always liked touch controls, mainly because when I play, I'm usually in a car, and the turnings and shakes of the car while I'm in it make it hard for me to have a completely steady hand while playing. A game like Paradise: The Beginning is something I really would like (I dunno how to link to it >>; ), because it uses two joystick-type things on the screen, without making things too difficult.

In case you're wondering though, Paradise has controls very similar to Dropship, the only difference is that the controls on screen are in a fixed position.
01-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Actually, if you look at it from the other perspective, I hate it when touch controls are bolted on to an iPhone game. The iPhone is not a PSP, so it makes no sense to make make the touch control like a traditional control pad.

For example, when I think about poorly implemented touch controls, I think Funky Punch. It's a D-Pad with 4 attack buttons. It's a ridiculous control system, because of the lack of tactile feedback.

More innovative touch controls should take advantage of the whole screen, or multi-touch. Why have buttons, when you can touch on the actual object itself?

For example, in toy-bot diaries, you touch the ledge where you want to grapple. You touch the bot, to turn on magnetism. The developers could have included on screen buttons to do these, but thats the "old way of thinking".

Likewise with Rolando, there could have been a button for jumping. But instead, you can swipe upwards ANYWHERE on the screen. And you touch the individual Rolando's to select them.

If I was the developer for Funky Punch, I would have scrapped the idea for virtual buttons completely, and probably would have gone for something more innovative like actually touching the part of the opponent's body you wanted to hit, or dragging your own person's fist/feet to the place where you wanted to attack. Much more suited to the touch screen eh?

I think as long as developers remember this, there can be a mix of touch and accelerometer based games that feel much more natural and take advantage of the unique hardware of the iPhone.

Last edited by Phi6; 01-27-2009 at 06:55 AM.