★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Will devs for iPad release games for free to people who own the iphone version?

01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Will devs for iPad release games for free to people who own the iphone version?

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if developers plan to release their iPad version of a game free to people already owning the game, or at a discount, on a previous device (such as iPod touch/iPhone) as a code or something that allows you to get the other version free or something. I think that would be cool because we have already paid for the game and why should we pay more for a specific version, but not wanting to play the iPod touch version on iPad and vica-versa. Maybe even at a discount, but I'd hate to have to pay twice for all my favorite games just so I could have a slight upgraded version on a newer device. I know you can play most iPhone/iPod Touch games on iPad, but sometimes the controls need tuning and the screen res needs optimizing, so I'm not looking for people to say I'm bitching about a low screen res (even w/ pixel doubling) or controls, I just want to be able to buy a game once and thats it. I am not going to pay $1000 dollars to upgrade all my apps to the ipad when I get one. I know it sounds kinda petty, but I would like to see devs offer their iPad specific version of a game free or at a discount to people already owning the game. Anyone agree? I know it is hard for developers, but please try.
01-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
Hey everybody, I was just wondering if developers plan to release their iPad version of a game free to people already owning the game, or at a discount, on a previous device (such as iPod touch/iPhone) as a code or something that allows you to get the other version free or something. I think that would be cool because we have already paid for the game and why should we pay more for a specific version, but not wanting to play the iPod touch version on iPad and vica-versa. Maybe even at a discount, but I'd hate to have to pay twice for all my favorite games just so I could have a slight upgraded version on a newer device. I know you can play most iPhone/iPod Touch games on iPad, but sometimes the controls need tuning and the screen res needs optimizing, so I'm not looking for people to say I'm bitching about a low screen res (even w/ pixel doubling) or controls, I just want to be able to buy a game once and thats it. I am not going to pay $1000 dollars to upgrade all my apps to the ipad when I get one. I know it sounds kinda petty, but I would like to see devs offer their iPad specific version of a game free or at a discount to people already owning the game. Anyone agree? I know it is hard for developers, but please try.
good question

01-30-2010, 12:56 PM
It's up to the devs. It pretty much boils down to one of these options:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...postcount=1243

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
I 'm sure some will, but I'm betting most won't. I's not a case of flicking a few compiler switches and hitting build. It will take some work to properly port most games, and nearly every app will require a secondary UI just for the iPad.

New games/apps might be a different story, but I wouldn't be surprised to see developers start raising prices, or offer separate apps even in this case.

Quote:
I just want to be able to buy a game once and thats it.
And I'd guess most developers want to stay in business. Unfortunately we don't always get what we want.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM
From what I understand, you can play the "iPhone/ iPod" version you've already bought for free on your iPad.

Lets say we decide to release a second game called "Bugs & Bubbles (iPad)", we would probably do an "in-game" micropayment option on the iPhone version such that it costs maybe another $0.50 to purchase the iPad version. Probably we'll add like a large screen mode, or some interesting new tibits in the iPad version.

Cheers,
Ian

Floating Cube Studios Developer
Check out our latest games Friendsheep HD and Friendsheep
01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
From what I understand, you can play the "iPhone/ iPod" version you've already bought for free on your iPad.

Lets say we decide to release a second game called "Bugs & Bubbles (iPad)", we would probably do an "in-game" micropayment option on the iPhone version such that it costs maybe another $0.50 to purchase the iPad version. Probably we'll add like a large screen mode, or some interesting new tibits in the iPad version.

Cheers,
Ian
Definitely the best way to handle this.
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
It would be cool to at least get a discount, but --

if I have the Xbox version of a game but also want to be able to play it on my PS3, I gave to buy the PS3 version, they don't give it to me for free.
01-30-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not counting on it for two reasons:

1) The cost of the developer having to buy an iPad - a simulator only gets you so far in testing, there's ergonomics in gameplay as well that can't be simulated on a PC screen. They'll have to recoup that investment.

2) The time it would take a developer to re-vamp his or her game so it looks and plays good on a bigger screen. Time = money.

I figure every app I have for my iPhone now that translates over well to my future 32GB iPad w/3G would be a "bonus".
Unlike most people though, I'm willing to pay for quality and polish.
I'm considering my future iPad more as a remote extension of my Macbook Pro than as a game playing device though.
01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
I would guess not, seeing as the iPad is far more superior. Well, if you're trying to say like a port, then yeah hopefully they'll let it out for free.

However, if it's like NOVA, which Gameloft added a few extra nifty features, then I wouldn't mind paying again for a more enhanced version.
01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
i dont see any reasion why they would. there may be alot of devs that dont make an ipad version their app and the ones that do would enhance it somehow to take advantage of the ipads attributes, namely its size.

genres are not to be seen as forms of textual codifications, but as systems of orientations, expectations and conventions that circulate between industry, text and subject.