★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: MiZoo Lite released

01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
MiZoo Lite released

Just a quick mention that MiZoo Lite has been released on the Appstore. It is a fully functional game in its own right, with an online high score table (no-preregistering required or anything like that).

Check it out and see what you think It gives you a good indication of the gameplay and scoring mechanics of the full MiZoo game, which is very highly rated on the Appstore.
01-27-2009, 12:59 PM
oops, forgot link

itunes link to mizoo lite

01-27-2009, 02:09 PM
MiZoo puzzles me. I downloaded it after reading a lot of 5-star reviews, but I struggled to understand what was so great about it. It's cute, but there are no sounds, and the graphics seem very rudimentary (or maybe this is intentional?) and somewhat hard to make out (things seem to run together). It seems just like your typical match-3. And yet, the last I saw, it had about 20 5-star reviews.
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
MiZoo puzzles me. I downloaded it after reading a lot of 5-star reviews, but I struggled to understand what was so great about it. It's cute, but there are no sounds, and the graphics seem very rudimentary (or maybe this is intentional?) and somewhat hard to make out (things seem to run together). It seems just like your typical match-3. And yet, the last I saw, it had about 20 5-star reviews.
The complexity is in achieving high scores through making combos of lines and getting sparkly characters. It isn't about the graphics (sound is hopefully coming soon), but about the gameplay. The idea is to be making lines whilst the pieces are still all moving together. There is an update coming in a few days that shows the combo level being reached which will help. Combo levels above x3 awards a sparkly character that wields big scores when used as part of another combo.

In a future version I hope to have downloadable customized graphics, so people can slot what they prefer into the game, whether it be jewels, animals, simpsons characters etc. This was a feature that was in the original Jailbreak version of the game.
01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I didn't realize you were the developer. Thanks for the quick clarification. I was honestly a little confused as to what I was missing. As I said, the zoo animals are very cute, which gets points in my book. Perhaps I just wasn't understanding the gameplay properly. I will have to rev it up later and see what kind of scores I can get.
02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know what happened to MiZoo? I have been waiting for an update with sounds, but it looks like both the lite and full versions are gone from the App Store.
02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Does anyone know what happened to MiZoo? I have been waiting for an update with sounds, but it looks like both the lite and full versions are gone from the App Store.
You're right .... it's gone! Lucky for me, I already have it. I played it a lot back in my jailbroken days ... but .... with all the other really great games ... I don't really play it as much as I thought I would ... but still ... a better than average "match 3".
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
That's a good sign that they are undergoing the update now. Applications sometimes disappear completely until the update is live, not in all cases though, which is weird.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Cool thanks guys. I hope you're right. It's a cute game, but it feels incomplete without *any* sounds. And as you mentioned, with all the other games at our fingertips, every title really needs to standout to earn play time.
02-13-2009, 01:47 PM
The new version doesn't have sound yet, but does make a number of improvements.

I have been going through trying to choose sounds to put in it, but haven't got a definitive mix yet. Choosing and acquiring sound effects is quite hard Next release hopefully....

Also, to try and tempt a few new MiZooers, the price will be $0.99 for Valentines Day One of the few games with multiplay on the same screen, with independent moves for 2 people available. The top scorers on the worldwide high scores play with their girlfriends

Follow me on Twitter
Games/Ports I have on Appstore
GeoTris $0.99, iPlutoid Free, Neverputt ME $0.99, Noiz2sa Free Free, Neverputt HD $0.99
Coming this year MiZoo 2, 2 untitled games in work