★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How many touches at once for the iPad?

02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
How many touches at once for the iPad?

Hey guys, I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. How many touches can the iPad handle at one time? The iPhone can handle 5 I think. But with the bigger screen I would think the iPad would do more so you can do more 2 handed gestures. (Think playing a keyboard or mixing sound levels with both hands)

So how many is it? Has anyone found the info in the SDK or anywhere else? I'm sure the multitouch interface is better but how many touches can it really handle at once?

Steamroller Studios maker of Super Shock Football
Latest News: Super Shock Football HD hits the App Store
Super Shock Football HD on TouchArcade
For more info check out our Website or follow us on Twitter.
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
well, in theory, as many as the amount of track points on the screen (saying your touch is the size of one square in the grid). But I really don't know how many touches the interface is programmed to take..

Beta: project 72, surf prodigy, ionage, cat trap, Heavy gunner

App Blog!
http://iptapp.wordpress.com/

02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by motitas View Post
well, in theory, as many as the amount of track points on the screen (saying your touch is the size of one square in the grid). But I really don't know how many touches the interface is programmed to take..
Yeah that's the million dollar question for me. I know it can take a touch anywhere on the screen. But If I put all 10 fingers on screen at once will it be able to handle it? I want to develop a game that would require at least 10 fingers on screen at once. (2 different people) But I don't want to develop anything till I know it can handle it.

Steamroller Studios maker of Super Shock Football
Latest News: Super Shock Football HD hits the App Store
Super Shock Football HD on TouchArcade
For more info check out our Website or follow us on Twitter.
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
99% sure the answer is 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrollerstudios View Post
Yeah that's the million dollar question for me. I know it can take a touch anywhere on the screen. But If I put all 10 fingers on screen at once will it be able to handle it? I want to develop a game that would require at least 10 fingers on screen at once. (2 different people) But I don't want to develop anything till I know it can handle it.
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
10 would be awesome, but I guess it's still "only" 5.
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
The most I've run across in a game is 3, and that was in quantum collapse. I would however imagine it could take as many as you want seeing as it is a new method introduced in the iphone, but again I have no clue that's only a guess.

Gameloft ID: VoN_Athlos Plus+ ID: Twizzy420 Warfare Inc ID: Athlos
02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
10 fingers would sure take up a lot of real estate on the screen. My thought would be that it is probably possible. For example, lets say I am making a guitar hero type of game that is 2 player (one person on each side of the device) there is a dividing line between bolf halves of the screen. Each players functions and HUD/gameplay screen visuals are on their own sides. each can use a hand (5 fingers for fretting) and a button along the side of the screen to strum the notes when they hit the "sweet spot." I don't see why this couldn't work, but I'm sure someone will try to see if it is possible.
Just thinking aloud.

Dylan1696 ]
Playing: ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╤──'─, Discworld, Broken Sword, Flight of the Amazon Queen The Secret of Monkey Island: SE, Jim & Frank BRM, Highborn
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrollerstudios View Post
I want to develop a game that would require at least 10 fingers on screen at once. (2 different people)
thanks for clarifying that it was more than 1 person with 10 fingers!

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I have a tank game demo that lets you play a vs. tank battle on a single ipod - there are virtual controls on both sides of the screen. I wrote it as kind of a joke (it's never been released), but it's something that would actually work well on an ipad.

There appears to be a technical limitation where at most 5 simultaneous touches work. So either do your homework and review the documentation and/or try it on a device before investing a lot of work into designing a 10-finger game only to find out after the fact that it doesn't work on real hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1696 View Post
10 fingers would sure take up a lot of real estate on the screen. My thought would be that it is probably possible. For example, lets say I am making a guitar hero type of game that is 2 player (one person on each side of the device) there is a dividing line between bolf halves of the screen. Each players functions and HUD/gameplay screen visuals are on their own sides. each can use a hand (5 fingers for fretting) and a button along the side of the screen to strum the notes when they hit the "sweet spot." I don't see why this couldn't work, but I'm sure someone will try to see if it is possible.
Just thinking aloud.

Last edited by Stroffolino; 02-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to DrummerB Send a message via MSN to DrummerB
Apple still didn't decide about the new upper limit, that's why there is no info about that yet. There is a (confidental) discussion about this over at the dev forums: https://devforums.apple.com/message/161782#161782

Developer of Practice Pro for musicians.