★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SalemPirates Release Armada Mancala with a Pirate Twist

01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
#1
SalemPirates Release Armada Mancala with a Pirate Twist



[App Store Link] $1.99

The SalemPirates are proud to announce the release of their 8th iPhone/iPod Touch application, Armada.

The SalemPirates' web site describes the game as...

Avast, the battle for the trade route to the Caribbean has begun! Which side will you choose, the disciplined Spanish navy or the untamed Pirate fleet?

This game is based upon the rules of Mancala but you can choose to include special events, which can quickly reverse the tides of battle. Will the Gold Ship arrive and raise the moral of the Spanish fleet or will the sight of the dread Flying Dutchman rally the Pirate crews?

In Armada, you will need all your cunning to defeat your wily opponent as you both race to sail your ships to your home port. Beware though, your opponent can capture an unguarded fleet and add your strength to their own!

You can choose to battle against the clockwork guile of the iPhone itself or play against the nearest sea dog. Choose your side, choose your flag. Use the Preference page to customize your game and let the battle begin!

Filled with colorful graphics and fun sound effects, this is a game you will find yourself playing again and again. A great way to teach Mancala to the wee pirates in your crew or to test the mettle of the most fearsome buccaneer among you.


With the release of their 8th iPhone/iPod Touch application, Armada, the SalemPirates (a family of Mac enthusiasts and gamers) continue to publish fun, pirate themed applications. All of the SalemPirates' programs are family-friendly and are available on the AppStore.







http://www.salempirates.com/logs/20090119a/index.php

contact@salempirates.com

Last edited by salsamd; 01-27-2009 at 04:23 PM.
01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
Welcome to the forums! It's always great to see devs on this site. The game looks good (except for the yellow boxes around the numbers showing how many seeds you have in each pocket )

I unfortunately am a horrible mancala player and when I tried the free FS5 version, I failed horribly. I'll be sure to check out some of your other games, but in the end, Ninjas > Pirates

Congrats on another game and hopefully one of your other creations will strike my interests more. I think it's a good idea for a game, it looks like a more interesting version of mancala, which is almost an untapped market except for the FS5 version

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss

01-28-2009, 04:51 PM
#3
Codes

I have 5 free codes to give out for Armada for the first 5 members that will agree to post an app store review of the game. Thanks! Just send me a PM.
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post

Ninjas > Pirates
Spanish > ninjas > pirates



P.S: already sent a PM, sorry for writting such a short message, I just wanted to be in the first 5

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-28-2009, 05:33 PM
#5
Codes are gone! Thank you everyone for the support!
01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
I was playing, Its really nice, graphics are great, menu is intuitive, I could understand the instructions. One bug I found is that if you click restart game too many times at medium speed the choose player screen will appear and won't let you start the game,even if you select a player. Otherwise great game, nice choice of background and pictures of ships. If anyone is going to get a paid version of mancala let this be it, it's very well made.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-28-2009, 08:38 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
I was playing, Its really nice, graphics are great, menu is intuitive, I could understand the instructions. One bug I found is that if you click restart game too many times at medium speed the choose player screen will appear and won't let you start the game,even if you select a player. Otherwise great game, nice choice of background and pictures of ships. If anyone is going to get a paid version of mancala let this be it, it's very well made.
I sent off a note to Capt. Bill about this issue and he will look into it! Thanks for the input!
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemPirates View Post
I sent off a note to Capt. Bill about this issue and he will look into it! Thanks for the input!
Hi, in case you are working on an update I'd have some suggestions:
-statistics (games won games lost, time played for each of the difficulty modes)
-Either more flags or a story mode where games get harder as the story progresses.

I'll think of more tomorrow. I think the story mode even if its just a couple of movie clips would add a lot to the gameplay, and it would make you stand out above all the other mancala competition in the appstore.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
#9
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
Hi, in case you are working on an update I'd have some suggestions:
-statistics (games won games lost, time played for each of the difficulty modes)
-Either more flags or a story mode where games get harder as the story progresses.

I'll think of more tomorrow. I think the story mode even if its just a couple of movie clips would add a lot to the gameplay, and it would make you stand out above all the other mancala competition in the appstore.
I agree with all those points. I enjoyed this game more than the free mancala game by FS5 and found myself playing it for a solid 30 minutes when I took a break from Skate 2. I'll be sure to post a positive review on iTunes sometime this week! Thanks again for the code

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
One more thing, i just played a round with headphones Those sound effects are AMAZING!, I was also listening to pachelbels canon and the mix of those two.... JUST AMAZING! I'm going to do that again, I downloaded anwhole album of classical music today and along with the game it gets me so into the game!!!!
Thebonly thing is the sound ofnthe ships, can ge annoyingbafter a while.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

Last edited by pablo19; 01-28-2009 at 09:23 PM.