★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Web apps that use video out?

02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Web apps that use video out?

It seems that the next SDK may allow video out from 3rd-party iPhone apps. But supposedly it already IS possible from Web apps, like ElGato’s LiveTV web app.

Any other examples of Web apps doing this? I would think hobbyists would be going nuts with it but I can’t find much discussion of it.

I’d love to make my own site into something that can output to TV for instance.

Or maybe Web apps can ONLY do this when using the video player?

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
02-01-2010, 08:38 PM
@Adams

From what I know in the previous SDK it was only possible to use the video out when playing video with the video player API (I guess this is probably what the web apps is using). Of course they were other means to use the video output by using private API but then this wasn't allowed on the AppStore (for your own purpose for a home made apps it would be ok).

As for the new SDK... well it's still under NDA so we can't talk about it yet. But maybe if we are lucky Apple will let us use it this time around (a bit like bluetooth that was added with iPhone PS 3.0).
02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I’m registered but haven’t downloaded the latest SDK... and if I had I couldn’t talk about it either I don’t even know if the iPad SDK is out yet or only promised. Haven’t checked.

Just curious about web apps—whether they can render pages to TV already, on the OS people currently have—but I kind of doubt it.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)