Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Ghosts'n Zombies

Game Impressions

What a pleasant surprise; this game came out of nowhere, from the developers of Cell War, and it is a blast. The first thing you'll notice is that the artwork is superb. For instance, the protagonist is an ornery old monk with bushy eyebrows and a bright read nose, presumably from sampling his monastery’s fine brews.

In the first level, he enters from screen-left and must fight off a horde of ghosts haunting his place of prayer. He begins with a buckshot pistol that is fired simply by tapping the screen, but this is not a run-of-the-mill tap-to-shoot duck hunt. You see combos can be scored when nailing multiple ghosts with one shot, so position is of the utmost importance. The player controls the monk’s movement by simply tilting the iDevice left and right and he will automatically pick up fallen gems that serve as ammo.

If he runs out of ammo, freakin’ Death appears and lops his head off with a double-bladed scythe, dripping with blood. To keep from reaching this point, the player can upgrade weapons sequentially by scoring combos and he has quite a killer arsenal, up to and including a chaingun. I haven’t seen a flamethrower yet, but this game has me praying that there is one. When you do tap your upgraded weapon, a glorious angel descends from the heavens and provides to you the blessed tool of destruction. I know, right...best thing ever!

While the gameplay may seem rudimentary, it’s not; the developers, TipCat Mobile, have really put some thought into how this game plays. Aligning shots is important, as I said, but there are a variety of enemies that can potentially hinder your performance; pesky rodents running across the floorboards, meatheads that enter from either side and continue to hassle you even after their heads have been blown off, and also a number of flying enemies whose movement patterns and speed keep you on your toes. There is a Story Mode and an Endless Mode, in which every enemy and their momma are thrown at you. Good thing a holy cross shows up once in a while that obliterates every enemy on screen.

The whimsical and twisted theme, the beautiful artwork, the pacing, and the core gameplay mechanics all come together to deliver a game that, for me, is a must have title. It's even OpenFeint enabled, with achievements and all, so be sure to pick it up at the introductory price of $1, because it’s a steal at that price.

Last edited by Zincous; 02-02-2010 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Post moved from old thread for the impressions.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Default Ghosts'n Zombies

Well the old thread is locked, but I hope we can continue the discussion of the game itself. Maybe impressions from the other thread can be pasted over.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:57 AM

I'm really sorry about what happend in the previous thread. I hope it wouldn't stop you talking about the game.

If the ad banner bothers you, it would be disappeared in next build after promotion sale is over.

Enjoy the game!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
If the ad banner bothers you, it would be disappeared in next build after promotion sale is over.
Thats what I wanted to hear, thanks.
I tried first 2 levels and have to say that the game is pretty good.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I grabbed this game after I went berserk app shopping (I know, that is bad for the wallet... but it is fun ) and I must say it is pretty fun, the mechanics are simple, but well, I'm only at lvl 2 and there seems to be a lot of new enemies in game (from the video) that will keep the game fresh and renewed. With the promise of constant updates (as long as they keep it/ don't make them DLC) this game will be a must buy, but for now is just pretty darn fun .

I don't know if I've played too little, but I'd like to see more variety of items gotten from killing the undead, normally there are just crystals and the ocassional cross to clear the screen. What about faster walking? Invulnerability? Score multipliers?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

one question, can we control the guy movement using method other than tilting?

thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Great impressions djflippy, well summed up.

I'm liking this game so far. Great art style and is getting more intense with the harder levels.

I'm okay with the control method as it is, but agree, another method might be an option. My suggestion is to include a move set of buttons, seems like it would be relatively easy to do. It's not essential, but I'm the type that really doesn't like having to tilt and turn things in public if possible.

To the developer - great game and hope you add more content down the line.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
It's not essential, but I'm the type that really doesn't like having to tilt and turn things in public if possible.
EXACTLY my sentiment! :0

but ok.. gonna pick up later :P
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

I picked this up because it looks really fun but please get rid of the ads. If this is a sale, then make it a real sale and don't torture us with ads just because we bought it on sale. This is VERY bothersome to say the least.

Last edited by cranker; 02-02-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

looks like my style game, esp the crystal life design. will do and get some feedback here later.