★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Research Study on App Store Pricing Cause and Effect

02-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Research Study on App Store Pricing Cause and Effect

Hello everyone!

I have been at work developing a game for awhile for the iPhone (actually started before I even bought a phone haha), and am nearing completion of it. Because I have little to do in my life, I have also been researching sales and pricing correlation on the App Store for the last half year.

What originally started as just a small project to see how I would price my app and the DLC for it has actually turned into a school project. So far I have written around 40 pages on it (I am actually using it for one of my papers I need to graduate too!). Its basically a mini manual, detailing the following:

-Elasticity on the App Store Market by Genre (basically, how do price changes effect the sales of games in various genres)
-Introduction Sales/Price Hikes
-Sales benefits of being in the Top 100, Top 50, Top 25
-Being featured by Apple
-If the game is more console like (such as NOVA) or more simple like a traditional cell phone game
-Brand recognition (games made by EA or Gameloft, and games with tie ins like Avatar)
-And a little bit more...

I have contacted various developers of successful games and abysmal failures for sales data. However, I only refer to the games in the paper as Game A, B, C etc for confidentiality on sales figures (some devs are a major pain in the ass on this one). I have noticed the huge discussion on this site since I joined about many of these topics and I was wondering, do you guys think there is a market for a manual like this for developers? Maybe I could sell copies of it to them? I feel like for the amount of time I have invested into this that the data I have drawn is very conclusive. Using statistics and regression analysis, I have found a high correlation between many of my hypothesis and the data that I have to support them so my ideas are also statistically supported.

I would also answer some general questions if any devs have them because this site has been great to me so far!
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
With all the discussion on this board, I am surprised no one was interested in this...

02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
You may want to post this in the Developer Discussion section.

Also, you may want to write an actual abstract, so people have a better understanding of what you're offering.
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
40 pages? I'd love to read it! Being an aspiring dev myself, I'd love some more info.
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPP13 View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been at work developing a game for awhile for the iPhone (actually started before I even bought a phone haha), and am nearing completion of it. Because I have little to do in my life, I have also been researching sales and pricing correlation on the App Store for the last half year.

What originally started as just a small project to see how I would price my app and the DLC for it has actually turned into a school project. So far I have written around 40 pages on it (I am actually using it for one of my papers I need to graduate too!). Its basically a mini manual, detailing the following:

-Elasticity on the App Store Market by Genre (basically, how do price changes effect the sales of games in various genres)
-Introduction Sales/Price Hikes
-Sales benefits of being in the Top 100, Top 50, Top 25
-Being featured by Apple
-If the game is more console like (such as NOVA) or more simple like a traditional cell phone game
-Brand recognition (games made by EA or Gameloft, and games with tie ins like Avatar)
-And a little bit more...

I have contacted various developers of successful games and abysmal failures for sales data. However, I only refer to the games in the paper as Game A, B, C etc for confidentiality on sales figures (some devs are a major pain in the ass on this one). I have noticed the huge discussion on this site since I joined about many of these topics and I was wondering, do you guys think there is a market for a manual like this for developers? Maybe I could sell copies of it to them? I feel like for the amount of time I have invested into this that the data I have drawn is very conclusive. Using statistics and regression analysis, I have found a high correlation between many of my hypothesis and the data that I have to support them so my ideas are also statistically supported.

I would also answer some general questions if any devs have them because this site has been great to me so far!
ya, i remember i voted on it, long survery, long and fantastic results

You won't find me on the leaderboards.
02-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Is there a way to move a topic to the other forums?
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm very interested - where would I find this study and data?
02-03-2010, 05:09 PM
O ya, I remember this! I have the results somewhere, but can't find them. >.<
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH94 View Post
O ya, I remember this! I have the results somewhere, but can't find them. >.<
I don't think I ever asked for you to be in my study? And you can't get the results anywhere yet. I have them on my laptop right now and am deciding if there is some site I can post them to and maybe make a profit because I think new and existing developers would be interested in this kind of data.
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPP13 View Post
I don't think I ever asked for you to be in my study? And you can't get the results anywhere yet. I have them on my laptop right now and am deciding if there is some site I can post them to and maybe make a profit because I think new and existing developers would be interested in this kind of data.
Never mind then. That was a different guy. I'd love to read it, any possibility of uploading it to iTunes?