★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Permanently Removed from App Store - March 2010 - Get It Whilst You Can.

Sale Ended Midnight Pacific Standard Time 10th Feb, Now $2.99. Available Worldwide 13th Feb.

PAPERBOY Classic: The 'Officially Licenced' mobile phone game version of the 80's SUPER smash-hit coin-operated arcade game Paperboy, designed by Dave Ralston.

FEATURES
- Almost 100% faithful recreation of the multi-million selling original.
- Exciting new game modes including, Time Attack, Challenge & Casual.
- Uniquely developed in 2.5D enabling:
o authentic Classic 2.5D in-game views,
o stunning new, 2.5D action-replays,
o subtle enhancement of the in-game graphics.
- Created specifically for Elite®, developers and publishers Paperboy for more than 20 years.

Note: 'Paperboy Classic' is a lighter version of Paperboy and does not include 3D in-game views and 3D action-replays or multiple camera angles. For these additional features search for and choose "Paperboy".

AIM OF THE GAME
Deliver newspapers to all the "customer" houses on the street. Avoid the hazards. Throw newspapers to damage property of "non-customer" houses to score points.

GAME MODES
- Classic: plays just like the original arcade version.
- Casual: a little easier than Classic? Collect: 'Extra Life', 'Baseball Card' & 'Bonus Point icons.
- Time Attack: unlimited newspapers, but limited time. Damage a subscriber's house and you'll loose precious seconds, but damage a non-subscriber's and you'll gain some. You can also pick up items to gain extra time.
- Challenge: perform the listed actions. For a skilled paperboy this won't be too hard.
02-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Huh...

So if I read this correctly, this is just another version of the other Paperboy app they released, just without the 3D in game view/replays?

Too bad, when I saw the title, I actually thought it might be an emulated version of the original with the old 2D graphics.

02-03-2010, 01:14 AM
It's more of a 'lite' than a 'classic' version. Luckily I got me a Nintendo emulator.
02-03-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't know why the full description isn't showing up through appinfo but here it is...

PAPERBOY™ Classic: The 'Officially Licenced' mobile phone game version of the 80's SUPER smash-hit coin-operated arcade game Paperboy™, designed by Dave Ralston.

FEATURES
- Almost 100% faithful recreation of the multi-million selling original.
- Exciting new game modes including, Time Attack, Challenge & Casual.
- Uniquely developed in 2.5D enabling:
o authentic Classic 2.5D in-game views,
o stunning new, 2.5D action-replays,
o subtle enhancement of the in-game graphics.
- Created specifically for Elite®, developers and publishers Paperboy™ for more than 20 years.

Note: 'Paperboy™ Classic' is a lighter version of Paperboy™ and does not include 3D in-game views and 3D action-replays or multiple camera angles. For these additional features search for and choose "Paperboy".

AIM OF THE GAME
Deliver newspapers to all the "customer" houses on the street. Avoid the hazards. Throw newspapers to damage property of "non-customer" houses to score points.

GAME MODES
- Classic: plays just like the original arcade version.
- Casual: a little easier than Classic? Collect: 'Extra Life', 'Baseball Card' & 'Bonus Point’ icons.
- Time Attack: unlimited newspapers, but limited time. Damage a subscriber's house and you'll loose precious seconds, but damage a non-subscriber's and you'll gain some. You can also pick up items to gain extra time.
- Challenge: perform the listed actions. For a skilled paperboy this won't be too hard.
02-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Sounds almost like a lite version. Are the exta views, replays and angles worth the extra $4?
02-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Sounds almost like a lite version. Are the exta views, replays and angles worth the extra $4?
I haven't played it, but I highly doubt it. I was kinda keeping my eye on the original version for a price drop or a sale, but releasing a "classic" aka "lite" version for 0.99 kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm a big fan of the original old Atari arcade game, but I really don't like the way the new 2.5D graphics look in the screens. Was hoping eventually they'd release the original. I actually got excited when I saw the name of this release thinking it might actually be the classic old version of Paperboy. Lucky I didn't just blindly hit buy.
02-03-2010, 01:28 AM
I saw it too but not available in Australia yet. Proly US-only release.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
02-03-2010, 01:31 AM
5 dollars does come off as a bit steep for the nostalgia once you get into the nitty gritty of the full game, but i have to say, i really prefer the 3-D angle of the remake over the 2-D option they provide. if i'm going to play paperboy classic, it should be the true original game emulated in its purest form.