★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Game design genius Reiner Knizia brings Topas to the iPhone and iPod Touch.. and the reviews are in!

AppSmile -- 5 out of 5 dimples -- "An outstanding addition to the easy-to-play, difficult-to-master family of games that occupy so much of our free time. Replay value is terrific, as we spent the better part of the day hooked on this game."

Appolicious -- "Game of the Week"

AppVersity -- "The comic look is a nice way to mask the high challenge found within. Im finding Topas to be not only one of my favorite Knizia games, but one of my favorite puzzle games on my iPhone as well. Its a great pick up and play puzzler that can have you spending hours and hours playing just one more time.

TouchArcade -- "While the basics of the game are quite simple, it took me a while to wrap my head around ideal tile placement for maximum point gain."

Features:
3 game modes for heaps of gameplay challenge.
Simple "pick-up-and-play" touch controls
AGON Online Leaderboards to see how you stack up against friends -- and the world of Topas players!

AppStore Reviews:

5 stars -- "Totally addicting. The cure for match-3 game monotony."

5 stars -- "Awesome game play and polished art. The addition of online scoring is a treat."

5 stars -- "Many of the most mediocre and mundane of games on the Appstore bill themselves as "addicting," usually followed by a wholly unreasonable number of exclamation points. But here is an unassuming title which actually earns that distinction."

Overview:
Topas is three games in one. Arcade mode mirrors the traditional Topas Card Game and with the addition of Weakest Link and Color Play you will have hours of entertainment.

In Arcade mode, you place gems-on-tiles to maximize your points while lining up seven gems in a row to clear space on the board to complete each level. But you cannot place more than 8 gems in a row! If you successfully place all 36 tiles on the board you progress to the next level where additional color gems challenge your skills!

Weakest Link mode challenges you to place 8 tiles on the board while maximizing your points. You play four rounds and your second lowest score is registered to Agon Online.

Color Play mode offers a different twist. You must place 36 tiles on the board. But each time you score 10 points per color the board is wiped clean offering you a clean slate to continue placing times.

The Top Scores for each game are recorded on Agon Online.

For 1 player

Game Design by Ludicious Games based on TOPAS by Dr. Reiner Knizia
Developed by Ludicious Games

Visit us at: www.ludiciousgames.com
02-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Awesome! I insta-buy all Knizia games. I've got close to a full page of his apps.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!

02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
...bought & tested:

Nice and clean interface.
Only sound, no music (but i dont care)
AION implementation well done

The game is great with three different modes and seems to be quite deep.
Easy to handle but hard to master.
I like it a lot that theres no time pressure

Buy recommendation !!!
02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I have been looking at this dev for a while. Do all his or theur games have leaderboards ? If not, which ones do? (besides this one)

Also, which are the top games from this dev ?
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranker View Post
I have been looking at this dev for a while. Do all his or theur games have leaderboards ? If not, which ones do? (besides this one)

Also, which are the top games from this dev ?
I love all of Knizia's games on the phone, but I'll try to rank them from most bestest to least bestest although they're ALL worth getting! I will put Topas at the bottom, since I haven't played it yet. I'll also put in parenthesis whether they have leaderboards.

1) Monumental (Yes)
2) Roto (Yes)
3) Money (No)
4) Robot Master (Yes)
5) Poison (No)
6) Ingenious (No)
7) Knights of Charlemagne (No)
8) Topas (Yes)

Hope this helps. I just want to say again though, that they're all really good, and have that cliche, but in this case true, description of "easy to learn, difficult to master".

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I love all of Knizia's games on the phone, but I'll try to rank them from most bestest to least bestest although they're ALL worth getting! I will put Topas at the bottom, since I haven't played it yet. I'll also put in parenthesis whether they have leaderboards.

1) Monumental (Yes)
2) Roto (Yes)
3) Money (No)
4) Robot Master (Yes)
5) Poison (No)
6) Ingenious (No)
8) Topas (Yes)

Hope this helps. I just want to say again though, that they're all really good, and have that cliche, but in this case true, description of "easy to learn, difficult to master".
Does Ingenious at least track local scores?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post

1) Monumental (Yes)
2) Roto (Yes)
3) Money (No)
4) Robot Master (Yes)
5) Poison (No)
6) Ingenious (No)
8) Topas (Yes)

I will pick up one of the first 2 games today for a start. let me know when you test out Topas. It looks nice

No ratings on Monumental. Surprising as I have neard it's a great game. I will get that one !

Last edited by cranker; 02-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Does Ingenious at least track local scores?
You know, I don't think it does. This one has kind of a strange scoring system in that I've only played in a tournament mode. You win the first game to play another game, etc. They are all against computer AI. This is the game I've played the least, but I still like it. As far as polish, Monumental is really good. Roto is VERY basic in design, sound, graphics, but I like the gameplay. Money is newer, but I've really enjoyed that. I may be rating Poison and Charlemagne lower because I've had them the longest. If you like puzzle/card games, these are some of the best. This game designer has a very storied reputation in board games.

02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranker View Post
I will pick up one of the first 2 games today for a start. let me know when you test out Topas. It looks nice

No ratings on Monumental. Surprising as I have neard it's a great game. I will get that one !
Hunh? I see all sorts of glowing reviews for Monumental in the US store.

Topas KICKS THE ARSE so far in my initial few minutes with it! Typical RK abstract wackiness with colored dominoes!

Will give more impressions and details later on.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Hunh? I see all sorts of glowing reviews for Monumental in the US store.

Topas KICKS THE ARSE so far in my initial few minutes with it! Typical RK abstract wackiness with colored dominoes!

Will give more impressions and details later on.
Awesome! I'll have a chance to play in about 30 min., glad to know I have something to look forward to. I've actually bought a couple of his card games after getting these apps. I had never heard of him before I had an iPhone.