★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad development, landscape versus portrait

02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
iPad development, landscape versus portrait

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/pr...009370-CH4-SW1

Is it true for games, that apple is requiring developers to publish a game for the iPad in both landscape and portrait mode? Or does this rule only apply for applications, and not games?

Anyone have any info on this, that would really help!
02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to DrummerB Send a message via MSN to DrummerB
Currently the iPad Human Interface Guide states that every app has to support all 4 orientations. But there is a lengthy discussion about the drawbacks of this on the dev forums that certainly did get Apple's attention. They might or might not drop that rule, who knows.

Developer of Practice Pro for musicians.

02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm hoping this doesn't limit devs.

Apple is making a big push with this whole "there is no wrong way to hold the iPad" but in reality it means there is no RIGHT way to hold it.

The accelerometer being constantly active is also wasting battery life. An orientation lock will have to be present for me to even think about using most apps.
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
To echo DrummerB, the current official word is "all orientations, no exceptions". Apple is reviewing it, but I suspect we'll be stuck with the requirement at least for launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
The accelerometer being constantly active is also wasting battery life. An orientation lock will have to be present for me to even think about using most apps.
The accelerator is always active, period. Your iPhone always knows it orientation, even if the software ignores the rotate triggers. Being a MEMS device, the accelerometers are not exactly huge power wasters. Which is why the power savings functionality focuses mostly on features like screen, sound, wifi, 3G, cpu, etc. i.e. Stuff that takes actual power.
02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
This sucks, I think for driving games and such, it won't work very well
02-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Most of the time I can't stand auto-orientation.

Making it so you can't easily disable it as a user is annoying.

Making it very difficult (before you figure out some klugy way to bypass it) for a dev to lock an iPhone/Touch's orientation is frustrating.

Restricting devs from locking iPad orientations is plain dumb.

Checkout Poker AnyTIME!, our new turn based heads up Texas Hold'em game
Please Like Us on Facebook!
Crafted with care by Gutshot LLC
02-04-2010, 05:25 AM
This is a HARD requirement -- don't fully support all directions and your app will be rejected.

There's a long thread about this: https://devforums.apple.com/thread/3...art=0&tstart=0

Apple themselves say so (they reply on the first page).
02-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Really, really odd considering the fact that Apple touts the fact that the iPad runs almost all existing iPhone apps and Apple DON'T recommend the use of all 4 orientations on this device. (Portrait upside-down being the one orientation I'm referring to).
02-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Really, really odd considering the fact that Apple touts the fact that the iPad runs almost all existing iPhone apps and Apple DON'T recommend the use of all 4 orientations on this device. (Portrait upside-down being the one orientation I'm referring to).
The requirement is for iPad apps, not iPhone apps.
02-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The requirement is for iPad apps, not iPhone apps.
I get that, but as the iPad will already run 100K+ of apps that don't work in all four directions, it seems silly to say the least.