★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple should ban 'Points' apps

02-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Apple should ban 'Points' apps

I'm sure I'm not the first person to propose this, but Apple needs to step in and clean up the mess all these MMO's have created with 'points'. It may have been a necessary evil in the past, but now that we have in-app downloads, all these games should be required to utilize that mechanism instead. It makes navigating some categories (particularly RPG) an absolute nightmare.

I know it's a not a 100% straightforward problem to solve, but given that Apple is that gatekeeper, they should be able to figure it out. Hopefully I'm not alone on this.
02-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Hmm I never really thought about that.
I mean I was always annoyed at the point things taking over my RPG category but making them all change to in-app online would be awesome.

02-04-2010, 04:54 AM
I fully agree with you. Navigating RPG category is just a total mess.

In fact all devs must use DLC for points.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
02-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Supported.
02-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Agreed. Especially since most of them seem to have a "buy points" section somewhere in the app already that just sends you the app store.

I don't really bother with these types of games anymore but I did find it a little redundant to have to download a separate app just to add points then delete one of them.

They still need to do something about Aftershock and their v7.01.1, v7.01.2, v7.01.3 crap also. Maybe they should just make a section for this type of game in the store, though I doubt that would ever happen.
02-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Im strongly agree with you!
02-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0||b1_G-zus View Post
They still need to do something about Aftershock and their v7.01.1, v7.01.2, v7.01.3 crap also.
You mean the developer who releases 40 free versions of the same name? Actually they do it for all of their games... They have probably seen that updates don't appear in the release-date list anymore so they release a new app each few days.
02-04-2010, 07:10 AM
How about along with getting rid of the points apps, we get rid of half of these "(theme) Live" games. It's extremely annoying looking for a good free RPG game/demo and clicking on top free RPG games and all you find are "(Theme) LIVE 7.2791312454 20 Points FREE! ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME!" It's usually the 20 points one too.

Use in-app purchases... They use these to invade the AppStore and get their game right up front, which didn't bother me too much at first, but now it's just a rampant problem. The worst of which, is Undead Live!. That game is just terrible. I'll go look at the new games one day and it'll have

"Undead LIVE! Holiday 1"
"Undead LIVE! Holiday 2"
etc.

That was annoying enough, but then I started seeing

"Undead LIVE! 7.352983753"
"Undead LIVE! 7.235672390"
etc.

I think you get the picture. THEY MUST BE STOPPED!
02-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
I'm sure I'm not the first person to propose this, but Apple needs to step in and clean up the mess all these MMO's have created with 'points'. It may have been a necessary evil in the past, but now that we have in-app downloads, all these games should be required to utilize that mechanism instead. It makes navigating some categories (particularly RPG) an absolute nightmare.

I know it's a not a 100% straightforward problem to solve, but given that Apple is that gatekeeper, they should be able to figure it out. Hopefully I'm not alone on this.
Lazypeon, I am very much with you. In fact if you search my posts you'll find that I had a big rant about the RPG section and these point packs in the developer section recently.

They are the epitome of "minimal functionality" and should all be rejected and forced to go in-app purchase. What's more, Apple should take over categorization of apps, because unscrupulous developers are shoving their "me-too" zombie games and who knows what else into smaller categories like RPGs just to get seen. Look at the #1 RPG today... Colosseum. Is it an RPG? Not in the slightest, just an *@#*&^ dev who decided to place his app in the wrong category on purpose.

Now with the ranking change that Apple started yesterday tons of these "Point Pack" apps re-appeared in the top 100 RPGs. Why? Because people leave tens of thousands of "reviews" with "add me, code XXXXXXXXXX". Apple's new algorithm appears to be interested not only in recent unit sales, but also how many reviews/ratings you have. At least that's our current theory that fits the observed changes in rank.

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
02-04-2010, 07:51 AM
I am with U PpL!
BUT, I can tell that not all the idevices are running os 3 yet.
Most of the iPod touch users will upgrade to 4 once it is our from 2.x
We all will need to wait till then.

When Steve said the Appstore has more than 140000 apps, I just had to say we got about 2k useful apps & games (I hav half of it ) the rest is the mmorpg points & sh!t like tht

Mis-quotes!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
The bottom two is where you can buy your bottom turrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
at this point I should say we're not looking for anymore guys