★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Anybody here think graphics are very important?

02-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Anybody here think graphics are very important?

Personally, I think it is very important.

There are many games with similar gameplay. Why I choose this one instead of any similar game?

Good design sells.

How do you think?
02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
I'll have to disagree. Personally, graphics are at the bottom of my list when it comes to choosing a game.

I agree 100% that many games share gameplay types (especially when it comes to the iDevices) but that doesn't mean the one with better graphics will implement that gameplay the best.

Think of neverending console wars with Sony and Microsoft. A game is released across both systems with one getting better graphics but slowdowns, clipping, and poor controls while the other suffers in graphics but runs smooth, feels natural, and creates a better atmosphere. Who really wins?

For me, deciding which game to get in any game category comes down to which one plays the best, has the best in game features, and can create an atmosphere. The only way graphics really come into play might be in visual theme (zombies, robots, demons, "doodle", etc.) but even then there are exceptions.

Good graphics never made a bad game not suck.

02-04-2010, 07:41 AM
i see it like the threadstarter. a good design doesn't make a bad game better but i refuse to play games that look like shit, even if they are good. this driving bear simulator is a good example. i hear from everywhere that this game is good but it honestly looks crap so i didn't want to play it. a game must not impress me on the graphics side but it should at least look decent.
02-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I think gfx do not make the cut for me eithr.
For eg. I prefer Cartoon Wars to Ancient War ANY givn day

Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
The bottom two is where you can buy your bottom turrets.
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
at this point I should say we're not looking for anymore guys
02-04-2010, 07:48 AM
If graphics would be very important, Gameloft games wouldn't be this crappy.
02-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Graphics are important, it liKe the cover page of a book.

Beta tester for Pocket God, Minigore, Towers of War, Airstrike Defense & 9 Innings 2011 - Join TAD - Join TAD: Touch Arcade Defenders! and Canucks of TA - Contact me if you want your game translated or betatested!
02-04-2010, 08:10 AM
depends...a racing game, shooter or fighting game needs definately good graphics, without them i would't even consider a free-download.

but games like tower-defense, poker etc. don't need that superb graphics, but are ofcourse appreciated.

i wish the developers would do more openGl 2.0 enhancments and not just 1 effect, gameloft is allready going the right way in this case.
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
It doesn't matter whether you THINK graphics are important or not. To the larger audience, they are. Good looking apps are easier to sell.
02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
i tend to disagree to a point.

only shallow people consider gfx as a priority over gameplay, although an ugly game with great gameplay will be overlooked by the masses, am sure.

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Acidbottle View Post
i tend to disagree to a point.

only shallow people consider gfx as a priority over gameplay, although an ugly game with great gameplay will be overlooked by the masses, am sure.
We are talking about graphics not women.

"Immovable as a mountain, destructive as fire, quiet as a forest, swift as a wind."