★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Who here thinks diablo + roguelike would make a good game?

02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Who here thinks Diablo + roguelike would make a good game?

I can't get enough of games like diablo. That is, action RPGs that have heavy emphasis on loot and equipment slots. And, on the other hand, I love roguelikes.

What about a game that merges the two? So, take a roguelike game and add more equipment slots, and randomized loot, and maybe instead of just being dungeons from floor to floor, you reach an area that has merchants or something of the sort to allow for buying / selling equipment.

Thoughts?

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2

Last edited by Jorlen; 02-04-2010 at 02:41 PM.
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM

02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
I can't get enough of games like diablo. That is, action RPGs that have heavy emphasis on loot and equipment slots. And, on the other hand, I love roguelikes.

What about a game that merges the two? So, take a roguelike game and add more equipment slots, and randomized loot, and maybe instead of just being dungeons from floor to floor, you reach an area that has merchants or something of the sort to allow for buying / selling equipment.

Thoughts?
Well, my upcoming roguelike game will probably cover most of your interests

1) More loot, more variety of loot
2) More types of equipment slots, more effects that items can bestow on characters
3) More stats, and ways to affect them with items
4) Merchant in game
5) Not all floors are the same "dungeon" setting

Did I miss anything? It is still quite a way from completion unfortunately. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll start an "Upcoming" thread with more juicy details, but in the meantime you can pick up a bit of info in my forums

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I think it could work, but the style is obviously different. Diablo is loot focused, and loot is 'meaningless' in a Roguelike because death is so quick and painful.

It sort of goes against the Roguelike philosophy perhaps, but one thing that might be cool is that there was some persistence across sessions. You die, but you get to carry maybe one piece of armor with you to the next session. That way, you can eventually pick up a pretty epic set, and feel like a badass. Unlike most roguelikes which I consider to be 'unbeatable', it would be nice to know that each time, you are making some progress towards winning.
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
Well, my upcoming roguelike game will probably cover most of your interests

1) More loot, more variety of loot
2) More types of equipment slots, more effects that items can bestow on characters
3) More stats, and ways to affect them with items
4) Merchant in game
5) Not all floors are the same "dungeon" setting

Did I miss anything? It is still quite a way from completion unfortunately. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll start an "Upcoming" thread with more juicy details, but in the meantime you can pick up a bit of info in my forums
Sound really interesting!!! Can't wait for more details.
02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
just paly inethack.... thats all you'll ever need.
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
It sort of goes against the Roguelike philosophy perhaps, but one thing that might be cool is that there was some persistence across sessions. You die, but you get to carry maybe one piece of armor with you to the next session. That way, you can eventually pick up a pretty epic set, and feel like a badass. Unlike most roguelikes which I consider to be 'unbeatable', it would be nice to know that each time, you are making some progress towards winning.
Already done! Not much point in having "epic gear" sets if they are so rare you might only see one piece randomly every few dungeon dive attempts. By carrying over equipped items (not your entire pack or gold or stats), eventually through death and defeat you can piece together your ultimate badass gear set

Of course that epic set of equipment is not enough to get you through the dungeon by itself... You may feel like a tough guy at the beginning, but you will need strategic "pack item" usage to get really far

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Jarek Send a message via MSN to Jarek Send a message via Skype™ to Jarek
I think it would be nice. And Your considerations about developing Diablo-like RPG, even with roguelike partials, sound terryifying.
Please, keep us informed.

By the way - to the creator of this thread: don't You think You should write "Diablo" beginning with capital letter? Just to show the respect

"Art does not reproduce, what we see. It rather makes us see"
02-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
I think it could work, but the style is obviously different. Diablo is loot focused, and loot is 'meaningless' in a Roguelike because death is so quick and painful.

Well, Necromancer Rising is an excellent game and does the job very well being a Dungeon Crawler/Loot game.

Game Center ID : UnluckyPotato
I just won an iPad2 with Tapstatic!
Support Them at :
www.tapstatic.com
02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Raphie: Thanks for the heads up, man! Instant purchase once I found out what it was!

Data: That's great news! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Your Rogue Touch game was certainly amazing!

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2