★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: TailSpin is a fast paced, racing simulation designed around a realistic physics model. At Barn*Star Studios, we love racing games, but we get bored very quickly with campy arcade-style racers. TailSpin breaks out of this mold by providing realistic controls and physics, allowing you to *feel* like you're really at the controls. You'll find yourself playing for hours just to beat your best times...

Hours and hours of gameplay including:
-12 Racers
-10 Tracks
- Over 90 different events
- Compete against the clock or up to 5 opponents

Compete in and win multiple race series, time trial events and endurance events to unlock all all of the different racers. Increasing levels of difficulty and an adaptive AI ensure hours of challenging gameplay.

TailSpin makes full use of the touchscreen and the accelerometer including analog throttle sensor to allow and unprecedented level of control.

TailSpin is a independently developed game. No suits or ties were involved in its creation and all profits go directly to feeding starving artists.

Enjoy,
The Barn*Star Team
02-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Is there a video?

02-05-2010, 09:54 PM
And this is the first futuristic racing game with a mini map!!

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Where's Baloo?
02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
And this is the first futuristic racing game with a mini map!!
does that mean you will TOFTT?
02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I’ve just TOFTT’ed it!

I’ll be back in a few minutes.

02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneGlobs View Post
Where's Baloo?
My thoughts exactly, got my hopes up then bam!

Of course, it's not Tale Spin, which is too bad...
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeks View Post
My thoughts exactly, got my hopes up then bam!

Of course, it's not Tale Spin, which is too bad...
Same for me.
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
First impressions:

PROS

- Fast loading
- Both landscape orientations
- Music and sound volume controls apart
- Sensitivity is adjustable
- Statistics along with your ranking
- 3 game modes (Time Tests, Race Series and Endurance Events) plus a Practice one
- You have to control the Reactor Temperature so you have to use speed booster wisely
- One unlocked “racer” only initially
- Good graphics and just OK sound effects
- mini map

CONS

- No background music while racing although there are just OK sound effects
- Acceleration approach is not so good: there’s a panel at the right side of the screen instead a pedal which I prefer
- No online integration such as OpenFeint
- It can resume but you have to restart the race (so it can’t resume from a middle point)
- It does not support iPOD music (it is faded away)

Although I’ve played just 3 rounds I’m enjoying the game so far. There’s a good balance between graphics and speed. The speed booster management is a nice touch (you lose a lot of speed if you burn the engine). The controls work well. The wall seems to not damage the “racer” although you lose a lot of speed. You collect a power-up and a button at left appears so you can trigger it (one at time!). It seems you can shoot (like a missile power-up) or at least I could not find one yet. As far as I understood you start on easy but the game is getting harder along the races (good approach). Finally, I’m probably liking this game more than others due the mini map, it’s another game when you can see the opponents positions.

02-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Carlos_SZ,

I'm the developer of TailSpin... Wanted to thank you for the favourable review!

This was my first solo attempt to write a game with the polish approaching something produced by a bigger studio.

I'll see what I can do to address a few of the cons... There's not quite enough horsepower in a Gen1 iPhone to play an MP3 and run the game without dropping frames, but I should be able to easily support that on newer hardware in a future update. If sales go well, I will write or buy a few background tracks to play while the races are running too. An online high-score/best-time server is hopefully in the cards too.

Thanks Again!
Jonathan
Barn*Star Studios