★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Always wanted to be purple alien space chameleon swinging through the air from rockets and jellyfish and trees and things? No? But doesn't it sound like fun!

*** Alien Swing is available as part of the AppConvoy Action Pack! Get 7 great games for one low price ***

-----
ABOUT
-----

In Alien Swing you control your alien through a whole host of beautifully drawn levels, swinging from a wide variety of different things. It starts off with easy stationary objects and moves up to a host of moving things including jellyfish, rockets and cats in baskets. Also included are a series of challenging puzzle levels. Your movement is controlled by a simple touch-and-hold mechanic combined with intuitive tilt-to-swing physics.

--------
FEATURES
--------

* Compelling distance mode; how far can you go?
* Tilt sensitive swinging action
* Intuitive controls
* 30 puzzle levels to bamboozle and delight
* Unlockable bonus levels
* OpenFeint integration for online leaderboards and achievements
* Saves your current game if you're interrupted
* Artwork by up-and-coming British fine artist and illustrator Richard Aidley

-------
REVIEWS
-------

"Surprisingly addictive... All in all this is a fun game. If nothing else you always want to do better than your last attempt, which is what makes classic flash games like Helicopter or Yeti Penguin Swing so great. ...a game that will easily pass the time when waiting for an appointment or when you need to just need to blow a few minutes." - iPhone Gamer Blog, 4 stars

"You should give Alien Swing a try..." - IndieAppolis.

"I liked the controls, theyre very intuitive and easy to learn... I had fun with the game" - TouchAholics, 4 stars

Mr Jack's comments:
Promo video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Anyone going to check this out? I thought the video looked pretty good but I do have several swing type games. So...maybe

02-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I received a promo for this and thought I would share some impressions.

The art style is wonderful and the swing control (touch) works great. There is a distance mode and a puzzle mode. Both modes use Openfeint for high scores. The cool think is that each puzzle (I think there are 30) has its own leaderboard. So, if you want you can keep trying on a certain level to be the best.

I have played through about 15 puzzles and they are fun. Most can be completed in a few seconds but there are ways to get better depending on your release/swing.

The distance mode is a little weird. Each screen is its own thing, so when you swing off one screen the next screen shows up after a slight delay. It is not a loading issue it is more of a design choice. (almost like the flipping of a page) However, for a game like this it is a little weird. For a split second when you release from a page, you really don't know where there next hook spot is. There are tons of spots to hook onto though, so this isn't much of a problem. It is odd enough that I don't know how people will take to it.

Overall, this is a quality game but I am not sure if people will like the play difference in it or not.
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
The mech in screenshot 2 is killer.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
02-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Beautiful art, great gameplay, and addictive nature. Those are all of the qualities of Alien Swing. I must say, I am very impressed with this hidden gem. The idea of the game is to swing through the levels and avoid obstacles by sticking to hooks. Accelerometer control is integrated in order to get passed certain sticky situations (no pun intended ).

There are two game modes- Puzzle Mode and Distance Mode. There are thirty levels in Puzzle Mode including a level selection menu with badges. There is a lot of replay value because you can go back and try to beat your best time for each level. In Distance Mode, you have to swing through different screens/slides in order to get as far as you possibly can.

Alien Swing also includes OpenFeint with achievements which is a huge plus! Now you can compete with the scoreboards and your friends to get the highest score in Alien Swing.

All in all, this game gets an A+ from me.
02-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I received a promo for this and thought I would share some impressions.
Thanks for sharing, Bazooka.

Quote:
The distance mode is a little weird. Each screen is its own thing, so when you swing off one screen the next screen shows up after a slight delay. It is not a loading issue it is more of a design choice. (almost like the flipping of a page) However, for a game like this it is a little weird. For a split second when you release from a page, you really don't know where there next hook spot is. There are tons of spots to hook onto though, so this isn't much of a problem. It is odd enough that I don't know how people will take to it.
This was something we experimented with early in development, having a continuously scrolling game is obviously not that technically challenging but we found that it made the game hard to control, and less enjoyable because if you got any speed up you'd soon start missing the holds because you'd miss-aimed your touch. The downside is that, as you say, it's a little less accessible at first because you have to know roughly where the holds are going to be when you enter a level in order to hit them; but this is something you soon learn and I think it actually adds a lot to the game once you've got used to it.

It also lets us do stuff both graphically and with the gameplay that wouldn't work as well in a continuously scrolling game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchgamer3g View Post
All in all, this game gets an A+ from me.
Thanks Touchgamer3g!

Alien Swing is available from the App Store now!
Follow my development blog at Mr Jack Games
04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Update 1.1 has now been released, adding the ability to listen to your own music while you play, and the all the graphics compressed a little better so it now fits in under the 20Mb 3G limit.

04-07-2010, 02:54 PM
this looks cool!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
this looks cool!
Thanks Jak56 - one of your fellow reviewers at TouchAholics gave it a pretty postive review as have a couple of other review sites

05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Alien Swing - Half price sale!

Alien Swing is now on half price sale until this Sunday! Get it while it's cheap.