Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-28-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Word Squares Lite Now Available!

Word Squares Lite just hit the App Store!

Word Squares Lite gives you a taste of Imangi Word Squares. You start with a square of letters, and your goal is to arrange the letters such that every row and column is a valid word.

For a first example, you start with this:

Read it across: Atc, NOW, TOO
Read it down: ANT, tOO, cWO

Well, Atc and cWO aren't words, you say to yourself. Let's switch the C and the T:

Now your words across are ACT, NOW, TOO, and your words down are ANT, COO, TOO.

Tada!

Here is a gameplay video:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM

I've had this game for about 5 minutes and I'm loving it. Just wrote a review on itunes so I'm too lazy to type it out again, and I'm going to go back to playing it.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliberry View Post
I've had this game for about 5 minutes and I'm loving it. Just wrote a review on itunes so I'm too lazy to type it out again, and I'm going to go back to playing it.
So glad you like it! And thanks so much for the review - can't wait to see it! You just made my day
Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Hey holliberry, just saw your review - thanks so much! Let me know how you like the 6x6 squares, and have fun!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Not brave enough for 6x6 yet Some of the 4x4s are fairly tough, I have to use hints sometimes.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Some people have said that the 6x6 are often easier than the 4x4 and 5x5... let me know if you think that.

By the way, did you see that in the options you can set how many solved letters to start with? Options > Hint Level. You can choose whether to start with an almost-solved square, or a completely unsolved square, or two levels in-between. I usually set my difficulty depending on how challenged I want to be, or how much time I have for that particular game.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM

After seeing the video, this game immediately appealed to me. I'd just like to ask people who have played it about the difficulty level. I read some of the App Store reviews, and there are a few that say that it's too easy. I'm a big fan of word games, and I consider myself quite good at them. This game looks clever and fun, but if it's too simple to figure out, I don't see myself wanting to play too often.

I realize that this post flies in the face of the point of this thread (that a free lite version is now available), but I am near capacity, and I like to keep at least one spot empty because when I move apps around, I will invariably send one off into oblivion.

So if I could get some quick opinions, I might decide to download this game and maybe get rid of something else.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
After seeing the video, this game immediately appealed to me. I'd just like to ask people who have played it about the difficulty level. I read some of the App Store reviews, and there are a few that say that it's too easy. I'm a big fan of word games, and I consider myself quite good at them. This game looks clever and fun, but if it's too simple to figure out, I don't see myself wanting to play too often.

I realize that this post flies in the face of the point of this thread (that a free lite version is now available), but I am near capacity, and I like to keep at least one spot empty because when I move apps around, I will invariably send one off into oblivion.

So if I could get some quick opinions, I might decide to download this game and maybe get rid of something else.

Thanks!
Hey HJJ,

I know mine is not the unbiased opinion you were asking for, but I wanted to answer. We've had a lot of people who are very good at word puzzles (like doing the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle in pen good), and they've found it challenging.

BUT...

We specifically wanted to make this game fun for all levels of players. So the full version of Word Squares contains an adjustable difficulty setting, where you say how many hints you want to start with. If you like your puzzles really *really* hard, set it to no hints, and you'll get a square with a jumble of letters, none of which are set in their right place, and you need to rearrange them. People who are more new to the genre may want to start with more hints. Most people would probably start somewhere in-between.

In Word Squares Lite, there is no adjustable difficulty level. We arranged 25 puzzles in increasing difficulty level, where the first few are pretty easy, just to teach you the game, and the last few are the challenging ones - but still not as challenging as they get in the full game.

Personally, I love word puzzles, and I play Word Squares all the time
Old 01-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylux View Post
Hey HJJ,

I know mine is not the unbiased opinion you were asking for, but I wanted to answer. We've had a lot of people who are very good at word puzzles (like doing the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle in pen good), and they've found it challenging.

BUT...
Thanks for the reply, natty. You make a good case, and thinking about solving a completely scrambled board seems pretty challenging indeed. I'm going to give the full version a try this weekend. Now the only problem is deciding what gets the boot!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Thanks for the reply, natty. You make a good case, and thinking about solving a completely scrambled board seems pretty challenging indeed. I'm going to give the full version a try this weekend. Now the only problem is deciding what gets the boot!
Awesome - let me know how you like it! WSLite just got its first review - 1 star, "too easy." Grr... if he/she solved the whole thing without using the hint button, I'll eat my shorts. Most people say that it's too hard. I suspect that this reviewer just pressed the "hint" button all the way through, then said it's too easy. So caveat emptor - you must have some level of self control to enjoy this. If you press "solve," then it will indeed be too easy.