★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Question for devs about payment!

02-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Question for devs about payment!

Hi!

I had a couple of questions i was hoping a dev could help me with,
i know theres a limit to how many copies of your app you need to sell before you get paid from that country, but i was wondering if that was a one time thing for each country, or if that limit is put back each month? And if thats the case then if you dont sell enough one month, does it then carry over to the next month?

Im just curious because i was wondering if its possible to get paid a small amount and then be charged for the international transfer, meaning i'd lose money! For example getting paid from my sales in the US when im in the UK.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but i havnt done this before so would be nice to know how it all works!

Thanks for any help!
02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchDev192 View Post
Hi!

I had a couple of questions i was hoping a dev could help me with,
i know theres a limit to how many copies of your app you need to sell before you get paid from that country, but i was wondering if that was a one time thing for each country, or if that limit is put back each month? And if thats the case then if you dont sell enough one month, does it then carry over to the next month?

Im just curious because i was wondering if its possible to get paid a small amount and then be charged for the international transfer, meaning i'd lose money! For example getting paid from my sales in the US when im in the UK.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but i havnt done this before so would be nice to know how it all works!

Thanks for any help!
I think it resets every time. If, at any month, you make less than $150, you won't get any money (even if you've previously made more than $150 for that country). If you don't sell enough one month, then yes -- it carries over.

02-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Ahh ok thanks for the info!! So is there any reason why i shouldn't just release my game in all countries? Aside from translation issues! Ive been curious for a while now why some companies dont release in the UK, like EA, im sure some of there games didn't get released in the UK!
02-06-2010, 06:01 PM
What happens to all the "left over" money? So if you don't make the $250 minimum over 12 months, does Apple pay out at the end of the year?

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs
02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
yeah thats a good question as well! and I thought it was $150? or was it raised?
Also do you get paid in the currency of the country your selling in? like im in the UK, but will I get paid in $ for what I sell in the US? or will i see everything as pounds, and not need to worry about that stuff?
02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
yeah thats a good question as well! and I thought it was $150? or was it raised?
Also do you get paid in the currency of the country your selling in? like im in the UK, but will I get paid in $ for what I sell in the US? or will i see everything as pounds, and not need to worry about that stuff?
If I remember correctly, you can choose the currency you want to be paid. It is all converted to that currency, but each region is paid separately, which REALLY PISSES ME OFF. I got hit with like $60 in international transfer fees for 6 different regions.

If you think about it, Apple is holding on to an assload of money, and generating interest when a dev doesn't meet the $150 limit.

In the US it is $250, for all other regions it is $150.

If I could have done this over, I might have targeted only the Big 8 countries. and ignored the rest for the paid version. This could have two effects: force people to use a Big 8 country to download, or piracy. I'm not really concerned about the piracy, because I have about 40 sales in Russia, and I will never see that money from Apple. What is the difference if it is pirated in Russia, or if Apple keeps my proceeds from Russia? Either way, I'm not getting paid.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
02-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
If I remember correctly, you can choose the currency you want to be paid. It is all converted to that currency, but each region is paid separately, which REALLY PISSES ME OFF. I got hit with like $60 in international transfer fees for 6 different regions.

If you think about it, Apple is holding on to an assload of money, and generating interest when a dev doesn't meet the $150 limit.

In the US it is $250, for all other regions it is $150.

If I could have done this over, I might have targeted only the Big 8 countries. and ignored the rest for the paid version. This could have two effects: force people to use a Big 8 country to download, or piracy. I'm not really concerned about the piracy, because I have about 40 sales in Russia, and I will never see that money from Apple. What is the difference if it is pirated in Russia, or if Apple keeps my proceeds from Russia? Either way, I'm not getting paid.
Doesn't Apple payout at the end of the year? They can't just keep your Russia money forever. That would be considered "stealing" since you never get paid? Does anyone know what Apple does in cases like this? Do they ever payout if you don't reach the minimum.

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Ok so each region is paid separately, and you have to make over $150 or $250 in US to get that money.. so if you do get paid from 6 different regions, then it'll be over $150 from each one, which would easily cover the international transfer fees? which I actually have no idea what they are, i'm hoping not too much?!

So there's not really any drawback to selling in all countries, I mean either you do and make less then you need to get the payout, or get enough, or you don't, in which case you definitely wont make anything. Unless there are any other fee's associated with selling in other countries? But then i guess the drawback would be that you'd be seeing money which you couldn't get.

Although I agree apple should pay out anything at the end of the year, but then if they'd be paying less then the international transfer fee's, then you'd lose money, so I guess that would have its downsides. Do any devs here know what happens after a year with the leftovers?

Personally I think we should get to chose when we get paid, to minimize any transfer fee's, so if we only got small amount, then we could let it build up for a few months, and then get it all in one transfer... and i'm sure apple would benefit from that due to the interest they make!

Edit: oh and Flickitty I love your game! lol
02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Edit: oh and Flickitty I love your game! lol
Thanks!

I kind of agree that we should have the option to delay payment. My international transfer fees were $10 per region. I haven't received a year-end payment- at least I don't think I have.

I haven't even gotten Tax info from Apple yet. Aren't they supposed to send that out by the 1st of Feb? Or am I mistaken, we don't actually receive tax info from Apple?

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
02-06-2010, 11:32 PM
You will not receive any tax info from Apple, it's up to you to track your income and report it properly with the IRS.

From what I have personally experience and heard from others, there are no year end payouts. Apple will hold a region's payout until it reaches 150 or you close your dev account.

Also from what I have seen each region pays out in it's own currency, your bank is the one that converts it to your own currency at whatever the current exchange rate is, at least that is how the financial reports make it seem.