★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: G A M E S - where are they?

10-04-2008, 01:24 AM
G A M E S - where are they?

so i know that there are quite a few puzzle/race games available on the appstore but where are all the good quality games!? we have a soccer game but it looks nothing like FIFA Soccer 09 for the PSP, or Lego Batman where is it!? where are the games that rival those of the PSP? you can go to the PSP website and check out the games that it has and compare. i know the PSP has been out for a lot longer but i'm wondering if we are going to get a fair shake. there are shooters and adventure games that are whole games - not just 2hrs worth! why didn't we get the same version of The Force Unleashed as the PSP? or Star Wars Battlefront? Isn't the iPhone/iPod Touch suppose to be more powerful than the PSP? all this talk about the iPhone/Touch being as powerful as a Dreamcast... well where are the games that rival the Dreamcast let alone the PSP?

don't get me wrong i love playing the games that are out now... but i just want to know when we'll get our share of shooters/adventure games? i mean what about sonic? that would be a great game to play on iPhone/Touch! or what about the side scrollers like Contra, Mega Man, Double Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, bionic commander! or some fighting games like street fighter, mortal combat, and marvel vs capcom?
10-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfoxpro1 View Post
so i know that there are quite a few puzzle/race games available on the appstore but where are all the good quality games!? we have a soccer game but it looks nothing like FIFA Soccer 09 for the PSP, or Lego Batman where is it!? where are the games that rival those of the PSP? you can go to the PSP website and check out the games that it has and compare. i know the PSP has been out for a lot longer but i'm wondering if we are going to get a fair shake. there are shooters and adventure games that are whole games - not just 2hrs worth! why didn't we get the same version of The Force Unleashed as the PSP? or Star Wars Battlefront? Isn't the iPhone/iPod Touch suppose to be more powerful than the PSP? all this talk about the iPhone/Touch being as powerful as a Dreamcast... well where are the games that rival the Dreamcast let alone the PSP?

don't get me wrong i love playing the games that are out now... but i just want to know when we'll get our share of shooters/adventure games? i mean what about sonic? that would be a great game to play on iPhone/Touch! or what about the side scrollers like Contra, Mega Man, Double Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, bionic commander! or some fighting games like street fighter, mortal combat, and marvel vs capcom?
The AppStore is a new platform, it's barely 3 mos. old, the pricing structure is very inconsistent too, so until it stabilizes don't expect to see great games that have a million dollar budget to create pop up.

Last edited by dudehuge; 10-04-2008 at 02:55 AM.

10-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfoxpro1 View Post
i know the PSP has been out for a lot longer
You pretty much just answered your own question there. Also, even though there's some push in the games direction, it's still far from a traditional games console and will take longer for the bigger development houses to get on board, assuming that happens at all.

--Eric
10-04-2008, 05:06 AM
how many threads like this do we really need?

The iphone has only had apps available for a few months now. Console games can take YEARS to develop.

Up until the 1st of this month developers were NOT allowed to talk to each other and share code! That is the biggest reason for the quality being what it is. All the devs have to start from the ground up.

Console games get to license things like Unreal Engine and Havok Physics to add lots of quality to their with a little tweaking.

And YES the iphone is more powerful than the psp. The psp's processor was capped but sony unlocked it to go up to 333mhz. The iphone's processor is currently underclocked at 412mhz but can go up to 620mhz.

Power doesn't mean anything though. Psp has been out for almost 4 years!!!! Just like with any console the older it gets the better the games become because the devs know where the console is weak and where it is strong.

Great games don't magically appear when you snap your fingers. If so we'd all be knee deep in awesome games. Just wait 3 more months are you'll be amazed at the kind of games coming out
10-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Maybe some of the other developers could help me out on this one, but how long (in retrospect) has the SDK been available for the iPhone? Compare this to the DS/PSP pre-launch SDKs and you'll probably get your answer as to why "real" games haven't been out for iPhone just yet.

Give it time...pretty soon the cheesy upteen thousands of 1.99 puzzle games will be a thing of the past and the iTunes Store will be full of professionally developed multi-million budget 49.99 games and "really well" developed 1.99 puzzle games for those on the go.

Having the NDA on the SDK lifted was also a very smart move as VeganTnT pointed out. Conferences, books, websites, mailing lists, etc. dedicated to the SDK will definitely aid "indie" developers to increase their skills and add a little more complexity to their games and apps.
10-04-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks

You guys are right... I guess I'm just a little anxious to see some great stuff come out. I haven't had a game console since I sold my original xbox 4 years ago and am feeling the game itch.
I just can't wait to see games go from this:
(de Blob for iPhone/Touch)

to this:
(de Blob for Nintendo DS)

10-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I think you are being a bit unrealistic about the performance of the iPhone. Yes it can do 3D and yes some of developers are achieving some good visuals such as Kroll but it doesn't come close to Wii for example or even PSP. A better comparison would be DS or somewhere between PS1 and PS2.

Also I hate the fact that a lot of gamers just think 3D = good / 2D = bad. There are no excuses for bad graphics but I'm equally impressed by things like Locoroco and Vib Ribbon as I am the latest FPS. One last point do we really think the iPhone is a good device for FPS games? The screen is small the 3D capability fairly limited and therefore the sense of immersion is going to be limited. I also wonder about the control system... still folk will always by stuff that looks cute even if it doesn't play great. e.g Kroll

Personally I'd rather have great game-play or even original game-play over stunning visuals every time!
10-04-2008, 03:08 PM
That De Blob shot is from the Wii, not the DS.

But your right, the good stuff hasn't arrived yet. Many people are still rushing to get game #1 out, which is what gets them used to the platform, get some income and can make a better 2nd game.

Plus the whole pricing wackyness makes the platform a really scary prospect. Spend months on development, and only get $2 per sale? What the heck!
10-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crastic View Post
That De Blob shot is from the Wii, not the DS.
Yep...it won't even be out on the DS for a while. Sorry to say, the iPhone does not have the graphical power of a Wii so I wouldn't get my hopes up of any games ever looking like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crastic View Post
Plus the whole pricing wackyness makes the platform a really scary prospect. Spend months on development, and only get $2 per sale? What the heck!
Well...sell enough copies and that would be OK. The problem is selling enough copies of course. Although at least a few people are managing that, and it's helped somewhat by the essential lack of piracy and second-hand sales. Still, it's a bit nuts that $5 seems to be considered "expensive" now.

--Eric
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Hello from Tag Games! We're the guys who have just released Rock'n'Roll and are working on Astro Ranch for the iPhone - we also have a couple of other things up our sleeve but more about those at a later date!

This thread throws up a number of interesting points and I'd be delighted to try and present something of how we look at these issues from the viewpoint of a small indy (but professional) developer. Tag is not EA, but neither are we a couple of guys in a bedroom doing this for the sheer fun of it - we have bills to pay, making games is our job and as much as we love it we have great plans for the future that can only be achieved by achieving commercial success as well.

There is no doubt that the 'quality' of games for iPhone will improve in time, however in defining quality lets not confuse originality or game-play for visual polish, presentation or even scale. Already there have been a number of games from smaller developers of a very high quality on the appStore. One of my current favourites is Mouse About from Cobra Mobile, a very simple game idea executed with a great degree of flair and with the very highest standards of visual and audio. Right now most of what has been launched has been of limited scale which is understandable given that developers have only had the SDK for around three months and that no-one really knew how successful the platform would be. Very few companies can afford to commit large scale resources to something unproven. Clearly with the success of gaming on iPhone/iPod Touch that has changed and we can be more confident investing larger budgets in these games.

As a gamer my only concern is that as the bigger companies jump onboard the iPhone as the 'next big thing' (following casual PC, mobile and console download) that we will see a number of the interesting original games miss out on featured placement on the AppStore in favour of the same old run of branded and licensed games we've all been playing for the last 25 years. It's no surprise that Super Monkey Ball has done so well being such a massive global brand (plus a great game!) but its great that a game like Enigmo which is both original and good has also had the chance to do well. Let's hope that continues to be the case.

The answer to the question asking where are the shooters, platformers and fighting games is that they are coming. Touch and motion control is great for games designed for that kind of game interaction but bringing some traditional games to the iPhone without buttons, a d-pad or joystick requires some significant design effort... be patient and I'm sure in 6 months time you'll have a huge variety of genres to choose from.

Personally I love the fact that the appStore is an open retail environment. A games retail performance relies primarily on the response of the customer and that is great. It means quite simply that the Tag's of this world can compete on a level playing field with the large publishers - if the game is good enough viral marketing will ensure it succeeds. One successful game means that profit is available to reinvest in larger and more ambitious games in future. If we look at the history of videogaming we see that without Lemmings there would never have been a Grand Theft Auto, without a Bejeweled there would be no Peggle etc.

My final point is regarding pricing. Yes the iPhone is a capable device. Yes its performance is comparable with DS. Yes in time there will be games that compare with AAA DS games in terms of size and budget - but will iPhone gamers pay for them considering $9.99 is already considered expensive? At the moment dropping the price of an app can provide a short term sales boost , increase visibility and therefore sales but as the AppStore gets ever more crowded that will cease to be the case. It takes a long time to recoup a $500k budget (let alone the multi $million budgets talked about above) at $1.99 a time... in theory there is no reason why if a DS game costs $35 the iPhone equivalent shouldn't be sold for the same price but with iPhone gamers getting used to games costing the same as a beer its going to be a hard sell on the part of the developer as to why their game is retailing at that kind of price.

I hope that we continue to see a wide variety of games at all price points being downloaded and enjoyed by iPhone gamers. Its a great platform and I can promise you that you aint seen nothing yet!