★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Regarding Promo Codes

02-07-2010, 04:03 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 500
Regarding Promo Codes

I don't know how many developers here distribute promo codes to market their games. But for those who do, and who do so using the TA forums, I have a novel (or not) idea.
Usually when developers/distributors post promo codes they do so in a basic list of the codes. And when a gamer takes and uses a promo code, the polite action is to announce and display the code that was taken. Thus other gamers will know that they don't need to bother trying that code, etc. You know how it works.
Anyway, my idea is just stupid and simple.. But why not assign a number to each promo code in the list. That way, there would be no need for a gamer to browse through the thread to see if "ABC34QRS567" is taken, or announce that they have used "sdf456qwe789." Instead you could just see posted, or post for yourself, that "I took #12."
Make sense?
02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Anyway, my idea is just stupid and simple.. But why not assign a number to each promo code in the list. That way, there would be no need for a gamer to browse through the thread to see if "ABC34QRS567" is taken, or announce that they have used "sdf456qwe789." Instead you could just see posted, or post for yourself, that "I took #12."
Make sense?
That's all fine and good, but developers really shouldn't distribute codes blindly at all. I could go into reasons why, but it is a really bad practice that needs to be abolished.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

02-07-2010, 06:06 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,242
Got ABC34QRS567! Thanks!

Licensed and Certified Legacy User
02-07-2010, 07:01 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
... developers really shouldn't distribute codes blindly at all.
I agree with you if considering it from a developers viewpoint. Many of the randomly supplied codes go to lurkers, who by their nature are non-participatory. And being non-participatory means they won't be writing you a review, dicussing your game, contributing ideas, etc.
Meanwhile, there are the "conscientious" types who deliver an automatic five stars just because they got the game for free.
Nonetheless, I generally support free choice and would hesitate to "abolish" a practice that some developers choose to engage in.
So. Anyway... While they're doing it they might as well number their code lists.
02-07-2010, 07:02 PM
#5
I don't think it would matter. Usually all codes are taken by lurkers and they don't reply with anything. I have never got a promo from a thread only PM. It would be nice if it was something like "first 5 to reply get a code via pm" or something. A lot of the time the first or second reply is "FYI there are none left"
02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 500
By the way,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseMoon View Post
Got ABC34QRS567! Thanks!
I hope that gets you something good.
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 306
I want to stop giving out promocodes alltogether.
Most of reviews I got from promocodes giveouts are damaging reviews.
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
#8
We've had excellent results giving away promo codes, and I wish Apple would afford us more than fifty codes per game revision. I am perpetually short of codes. We're also going to be in a bind when we ship Tune Runner later this month. It's a free app with a premium version unlockable through in-app purchase, but promo codes only allow download of the base game, and can't be used to unlock the in-app upgrade.

Paul O'Connor
Appy Entertainment
dev blog: http://www.appygamesblog.com/
twitter: @Appy
02-09-2010, 12:48 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy_Entertainment View Post
We've had excellent results giving away promo codes, and I wish Apple would afford us more than fifty codes per game revision. I am perpetually short of codes. We're also going to be in a bind when we ship Tune Runner later this month. It's a free app with a premium version unlockable through in-app purchase, but promo codes only allow download of the base game, and can't be used to unlock the in-app upgrade.
Some game had this dilema and made a way to download the inapp purchase via dev created "promo codes" I can't remember what game, but I read about it on here.
02-09-2010, 12:50 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanJesus View Post
Some game had this dilema and made a way to download the inapp purchase via dev created "promo codes" I can't remember what game, but I read about it on here.
That's good news, thanks. I'll have to hunt up that thread.

Paul O'Connor
Appy Entertainment
dev blog: http://www.appygamesblog.com/
twitter: @Appy