★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: GT Racing: Motor Academy OUT

02-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
GT Racing: Motor Academy OUT

TouchArcade Preview

Impressions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiedeano View Post
I've been playing this for the last hour on my 3Gs, it's basically a cross between Forza and Gran Turismo, trying to take the best bits of both. I'm kind of amazed how well it delivers the experience, the handling is good, default controls after a couple of races become second nature, blows previous Gameloft racers into the dust, this is in a totally different league. Cars have varying handling, very nicely modelled, lots of car tweaking possibilities (buy new parts, engines/spoilers etc, change the weight balance/braking balance of your car), the tracks look very good, lots of variety and trackside detail there is some degree of 'pop-in', but personally, I only noticed it when specifically looking for it, doesn't effect gameplay. I think the tracks look much better than NFS Shift, it makes it much easier to learn tracks when every corner looks different. Having an accelerator pedal is a great improvement over Shift + you're in no way on rails, though you can use driving assists, also you get full race replays. For me, the feeling when playing is very similar to Forza on Xbox 360. If you're into realistic type racing games, then this blows the doors off everything else on iPhone (including Real Racing). Almost forgot, online racing too! Had time for one race, although other cars moved a little jerkily, still great fun & amazing to have this on top of such a great game. Enough talk, I've gotta go race!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizy View Post
Ok here's my first impressions having played for about 40 mins.

The graphics are quite nice, pretty detailed cars and surroundings. Tracks like Monte Carlo and Laguna Seca are very recognisable to the real thing. The pop in is noticeable, but I've not found it too annoying - afterall the focus should be on the road! Also it's less noticeable in the in car view. There was a couple of framerate hiccups on my 3g touch but they were rare.

The driving experience so far is good. The physics model is relatively accurate -some cars tend to over/understeer (my mini seems to understeer quite a bit), balance and tyre grip seems important. The Ai however is poor and in the 4 races of the 1st 2 championships, I've yet to be chaplenged. Granted, I did improve the brakes and reduce the weight of my car, but I would expect some sort of challenge. Maybe there's an option to make them harder?

In terms of content there is tonnes here and the single player career mode will last for ages. It is very much based on Gran Turismo so anyone who has played that should know what to expect - right down to the license tests!

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gt-racing-motor-academy/id347349895?mt=8

Last edited by qasim; 02-07-2010 at 11:38 PM.
02-07-2010, 11:30 PM

02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
No need for a new thread.
02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootbean View Post
? Whenever apps are released in US stores, there's always new threads. I made one for ACII when it was in the US store, but it was deleted. 20 min. later a new thread for ACII was made. So I just decided to make this one.
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post

Whenever apps are released in NZ stores and then US, a new thread is usually made. I even made one for ACII and it was removed for some reason, and then 20 min. late it was made by eggz again (I think it was eggz)

EDIT: Can someone tell me how to embed vids? Haha.

Last edited by qasim; 02-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.
02-07-2010, 11:36 PM
no need for this thread, unless the old thread is full of crap, its best to keep it all in one. if another thread is needed a mod will take care of it.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*
02-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post
You know, some people just love creating new threads. Probably they feel proud if it has many replies and it says his name on the first post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasim View Post
? Whenever apps are released in US stores, there's always new threads. I made one for ACII when it was in the US store, but it was deleted. 20 min. later a new thread for ACII was made. So I just decided to make this one.
Not really. I remember many new game threads which only change in its title from (Out in NZ) to (Out in some countries) and (Out in US) or (Out everywhere). Maybe you started the trend?

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
02-07-2010, 11:40 PM
In before closed hehehe. Seriously, the reason why we needed a new AC2 thread was because the game was pulled and the thread has gotten quite long and most posts were just about waiting for the rerelease, etc. The GT Racing thread on the other hand has just been created a few hours ago and hasn't even reached 30 pages yet. No need for a new thread everytime there's an "OUT IN NZ" thread.

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
02-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_k View Post
You know, some people just love creating new threads. Probably they feel proud if it has many replies and it says his name on the first post?

Not really. I remember many new game threads which only change in its title from (Out in NZ) to (Out in some countries) and (Out in US) or (Out everywhere). Maybe you started the trend?
Guys guys guys. Please stop hating. Why would I lie?

The only one I haven't seen this happen with is GTA Chinatown Wars.
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
no need for this thread, unless the old thread is full of crap, its best to keep it all in one. if another thread is needed a mod will take care of it.
Some posts are helpful, and I'm picking out the helpful ones and quoting them in this new thread. And I'm only doing this becuase I've seen it happen before!