★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Five different variants of Pac-Man, which one's the best?

02-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Five different variants of Pac-Man, which one's the best?

Hello, this is my first post at Touch Arcade. I've owned an Ipod Touch since Christmas of 2009, and over that time period it has quickly become my favorite handheld gaming platform. I've already purchased 16 games for it since then, and now I am looking for a version of Pac-Man to add to my collection.

But looking at the app store, I see 5 different versions available, four are official Namco releases and one is an unofficial release. Here's the rundown:

Original Pac-Man : Tried the lite version, graphics and sound looks very faithful, but the controls are a little iffy. The D-pad works ok, the swipe controls don't work well at all for me and the tilt controls are actually kinda fun. But is it worth $4.99? seems pricey to me.

Ms. Pac-Man : No lite version. but it looks just like Pac-Man. I've always preferred Ms Pac-Man in the arcade over the original though. But how is this version?

Pac-Man Remix : Pac-Man with cartoonish 3D graphics. This is also the cheapest of the bunch, how is it?

Pac-Man Championship Edition : I liked playing this one on Xbox Live Arcade, but how does the Iphone/ Ipod version compare? I'm not a fan of having the pay an additional price to get the full game ($7.00?), but if it plays well, I may bite.

Pac-Man 2600 : The Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, I remember owning this one as a kid. It is conceivably one of the worst ports of the game ever made. I would only ever get it for the novelty factor and nothing more.

Are any of these versions worth owning? and if not are there any decent Pac-Man clones in the app store that are worth mentioning?
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
You should make this a poll.

I'd vote Pac Man Championship Edition.

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!

02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
If you want a classic Pac-man experience, i would say original Pac-man.

The best Pac-man game in my opinion though is Pacman:CE, not only cause it controls decently but i really enjoyed the variation on the original gameplay. The only problem is that the game only comes with so many levels and you have to purchase the rest in-game. =/
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
While I will tell you that Pacman:CE is pretty fun and neat, I decided to go back to the classic version just yesterday myself.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
The remix looks pretty good. May pick that one up myself...
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Stay away from Pac-Man CE if you want classic gameplay. I was disappointed when I bought it and found out you could only do Missions and Challenges... It also doesn't help you are missing 1/3 of the game because it's an in-app purchase.
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
You should make this a poll.

I'd vote Pac Man Championship Edition.
Hmm... I don't see the option to make a poll in the edit menu anywhere.

And is there enough content in the 2.99 version of Pac-Man: CE to make it worth buying?
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Send a message via MSN to spidey146 Send a message via Yahoo to spidey146
I say get Pac-Mac 2600 seeing as it's not made by the official creators and may get pulled, but I say stick with normal Pac-Man, it's the best for your money.

Originally Posted by Dr. Porkenheimer View Post
Someone is ridiculing Big Albie? Kill him.
Always remember, you can't spell slaughter without laughter.
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
You've only bought 16 games in a whole YEAR?

Ive bought that many in the past month lol.

[ERROR<:>/ insert witty saying here/>]
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
My vote is for Pac-Man Championship Edition. I really like this game!

Beta Tested- NYZ2, ZombieSmash HD (iPad), Bug Heroes, Earth vs Moon, Underworlds, Push Panic, N.Y. Zombies, iPharoah, Rocket Monkey Warped, uBoot, Flight Deck, Plushed, Black Matter, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, Crunchy Planets, StickBound, NovaRift, Giant Moto, Crazy Test, Fling Cube,,...