★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Price and Gameplay time for a 3d platformer-ish game

02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Price and Gameplay time for a 3d platformer-ish game

There already is a thread somewhat like this but, what do you guys think would be a good amount of playtime for a 3d platformer game, and what do you think the price for gameplay should be. I too am creating a game, and am just wondering on what this community thinks.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Personally, I think it's a mistake to aim for a playtime because it can often result in one padding out the game just to meet that expected playtime, and padding is rarely ever good.

Rather, I suggest you try and design as many enjoyable mechanics as you can and try to do as much as possible with them, then see where that leads you with regards to playtime.

So instead of thinking from the off "Lets go with 8 worlds with ten starbits (missions) in each one so we can get ten hours playtime" it might be better to think "What would make an interesting and inviting world? Oh, that could be good... lets see how many missions I can make with this world whilst keeping each mission as enjoyable as I can".

Assuming your limited resources it will probably result in a shorter game, but on the upside it can also mean a better paced game.

That's one of my major criticisms of many recent 3D platformers, the devs try to pad it out beyond the limits of its core mechanics so the game ends up highly repetitive and a chore to play partway through.

Then again, that's just me. Hope my post was useful in any way.

Last edited by GDSage; 02-08-2010 at 11:22 PM.
02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes, thank you. I have many different types of missions planned for my game, it should be a lot of fun.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog