★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: StormBlocks - the game that literally doesn't end

10-04-2008, 02:37 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
StormBlocks - the game that literally doesn't end

I bought this game for 99 cents figuring what the heck. It had two 5-star reviews. Well, the game is either a take-the-money-and-run scam, or it isn't. Either way, don't buy it. The game literally does not end. I let the game run, doing absolutely nothing, and eventually my iPod timed out. I woke it up and the game was still running. I let it go again until it went to sleep, woke it up and it's still running. Also, if you tap everything on the screen, making no mind whatsoever of what you are and aren't suppose to touch, the game does not end either. I played it like this for several minutes. It doesn't matter what you do - the game literally doesn't end. Well, only when you actually quit out of the application. Comically, it then records your score!

So is this an example of an app that someone produced in 5 minutes that they are hoping scam people with? That was my presumption, especially given the 5 star reviews which, given how this works now, are utterly and completely ludicrous. Or is this game actually working differently for others, and actually ends? Please, though - if you haven't already bought it, don't buy it now just to find out.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a new thing on the AppStore. You could put out hundreds of 99 cent bogus apps and make a killing even if a low percentage of people buy them. "Spam Apps".
10-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Hopefully any developer trying to spam the appstore in this way would fall foul of the Apple submission process.

I really think that Apple should have a more lengthy submission process and a decent set of TRCs like all the console manufacturers. I personally wouldn't mind forking out a few $$$ to submit my app if it meant less chaff on the store.
10-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi, I'm the creator of the game you're talking about. I've updated the game to 'have an end' if you do poorly. Its currently in review. Perhaps you don't realize what goes into making a game...even a smaller mini-game like this (ie. not 5 minutes, not even close) but it doesn't matter really.

I'm sorry you are so disappointed with the game. The new update adds a few features you can see in iTunes. Also... according to your review, you think the other reviews were written by me. I assure you they were not. I did some market testing before release and this game is meant to appeal to a specific audience, many of whom have enjoyed the game. I thought my description made it pretty clear and straightforward what to expect with this game, but I've added even more specifics to the description that I hope will avoid any major disappointment such as you have experienced.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that the game 'has no end'. Personally I'm a fan of games that test my skill to the max, and don't cut it short just to have an arbitrary ending. It's an arcadish reaction time game. I'm not sure how 'ending' it is a good thing, but I admit I could be wrong.

So you know, I'm not some mega-corp. I'm a single indie developer and my hopes were to simply make back my apple developer fee with this game and start working on some of my more impressive project ideas (almost everything I do is free btw... see my website: www.dracsoft.com).

If you have any more good ideas to improve the game and make it something you'd enjoy and find more challenging, please don't hesitate to let me know. I've just added something to prevent 'just sitting there doing nothing' and a little more, which hopefully Apple will approve without much delay...

Have a good one, and I'm very sorry if you aren't satisfied. Let me know what I can do to make your purchase worthwhile.
10-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Just imagine how the Android Marketplace would fare, no moderation and completely open source. . . SCARY!
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
I appreciate your responding here.

I revised my review on iTunes so that it no longer questions the validity of the other reviews (though I still find it completely astounding that someone would give it 5 stars). Of course, like all things on iTunes, it may take a while for it to show up. I didn't change my rating, though - I still give it 1 star, because that is what I think it deserves in its current form. I'll be interested to see how it is after the update and will revise my review then.

Perhaps it would have been better to categorize StormBlocks (in 1.0 form) as "entertainment" as opposed to a "game". A game does have to have some way of ending. As it was, version 1.0 of StormBlocks does not end no matter what you do, other then just getting tired of it and quitting. That isn't a game. That's popping bubble wrap. Having high scores is ludicrous when how high your score is depends upon how long you happened to be willing to play the game.
10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Thank you for the honest remarks. I look forward to reading your updated opinion when 1.1 goes live.

Update: I've just received 2 more 5-star reviews, so I must have done something right

Last edited by dracflamloc; 10-10-2008 at 08:06 AM.