★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The storm is raging outside the old Victorian mansion where the would-be heirs to the Vile Haberdashery estate have gathered. The matriarch is dying, and murder is in the air - whoever survives this night will walk away with a fortune!

In this nasty, conniving, and thoroughly awful multiplayer strategy game, players take on the role of one of the four nobles trying to kill off the others. Each noble is surrounded by a retinue of leeches, hangers-ons, and sycophants who can be bent to your will through the use of blackmail, flattery, or intimidation.

Your goal is to gain influence over these subordinates, give one of them a weapon, and send them over amidst your opponents. If you have enough influence over the subordinates, and they have a weapon, they'll kill that noble for you, and you're one corpse closer to winning the game!

The game is played in a turn-based fashion, using an innovative "pass the phone" style. Each player takes a turn on the device, and then hands it to the next player to take their turn. The device is handed around between players until one of them wins. Audio cues triggered during play give other players clues as to what the current player might be doing, which adds to the intrigue.

This game may be played by 2 to 4 players, however, because it's all played on the same device, you only need one copy of the game to play with your friends. The casual nature of the game makes it an excellent diversion to play while doing other things - hanging out, watching television, on road trips, waiting for the movie to start, etc. It's a fun game to just pull out and run when you want something casual that engages your friends.

The original version of this game was created for the 2010 Global Game Jam by a team of 4 people. This version is a cleaned-up and improved version with new features.

FEATURES:

* Multiplayer casual strategy for 2-4 players.
* Blackmail, flatter, and intimidate your subordinates to murder your rivals.
* Fun, innovative gameplay that evokes Machiavellian intrigue.
* Casual gameplay makes it ideal for parties, lunch breaks, or just when hanging out.

BarkingDogInteractive's comments:
Good evening.

Our new game "Vile Haberdashery" has been released to the App Store:
It's a nasty, unpleasant game involving blackmail, subterfuge, coercion, intimidation, and... MURDER!

web site link
YouTube video about the game

We're already hard at work on version 2, so if you get the game and have any suggestions, feel free to let us know.

Have a frightfully awful time murdering your friends and loved ones!
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Looks really interesting - nice animations. Just 2 questions:
Is there an AI option and does it require wifi?

02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Awesome name!

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Video? I'm interested, but I'm not exactly sure how it works.
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
Looks really interesting - nice animations. Just 2 questions:
Is there an AI option and does it require wifi?
Glad to hear you're interested.

The game does not require wifi. In fact, it doesn't require a net connection at all to play - you could play it in "Airplane mode" if you like. Here's how it works: It's a turn-based strategy game, and each player takes their turn in sequence. You take your turn on the iPhone, then hand your iPhone to the next player, who takes their turn. Then they hand it to the third player, and so on until one player is victorious. Audio cues played by the iPhone give cryptic clues as to what each player is doing on their turn, so listen closely!

(This is why only one person needs to buy the game to play - you all share the same device.)

As far as AI, no, there is no AI option currently. The intent of this game is to be a fun diversion between you and your buddies around pizza or the office, so it's not really intended to be a single-player experience.

That said, if there's enough interest in a single-player version, we're certainly open to adding it as an option - we're already hard at work on version 2, so if you'd like to see a single-player version, add your voice. (Likewise, if you have other ideas, shout out your suggestions.)
02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
It lies. I see nothing about ties in here, much less vile ones. LIES!

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingDogInteractive View Post
Glad to hear you're interested.

The game does not require wifi. In fact, it doesn't require a net connection at all to play - you could play it in "Airplane mode" if you like. Here's how it works: It's a turn-based strategy game, and each player takes their turn in sequence. You take your turn on the iPhone, then hand your iPhone to the next player, who takes their turn. Then they hand it to the third player, and so on until one player is victorious. Audio cues played by the iPhone give cryptic clues as to what each player is doing on their turn, so listen closely!

(This is why only one person needs to buy the game to play - you all share the same device.)

As far as AI, no, there is no AI option currently. The intent of this game is to be a fun diversion between you and your buddies around pizza or the office, so it's not really intended to be a single-player experience.

That said, if there's enough interest in a single-player version, we're certainly open to adding it as an option - we're already hard at work on version 2, so if you'd like to see a single-player version, add your voice. (Likewise, if you have other ideas, shout out your suggestions.)
Please please please add in a single player version - that would be awesome! Thank you so much for being open to suggestions.
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles View Post
Video? I'm interested, but I'm not exactly sure how it works.
We're working on getting some video up. The core gameplay was developed during Global Game Jam 2010, just a few weeks ago, and some local news and video crews actually came out to do stories on our participation in the event, and one of them is putting together a video about the game. When that's released, we'll add it to the site.

See the above post for how the multiplayer aspect works.

In the game, each player takes the role of one of the four would-be heirs to the great Haberdashery fortune. Hanging around each of these nobles are three sycophants who are your pawns. Each turn, you can blackmail, flatter, or intimidate them to gain influence over them, give one of them a weapon, eavesdrop on them to learn their secrets, or send them over to lurk around your siblings. If you have gained enough influence over the characters around a noble, and they have a murder weapon, they'll kill the noble, and you're one corpse closer to the fortune.

That's essentially it - the gameplay is pretty straightforward, but the strategy and suspense between players is what really makes the game. That first time we playtested the game, and we all heard the first scream as one of the nobles was killed was really a cool moment. It was one of our artists whose turn it was, and when we all shouted, "Whoa, who just got killed?", he just smiled a mischievous smile, and silently handed the phone to the next player...
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
It lies. I see nothing about ties in here, much less vile ones. LIES!
Heh. The game is all about deceit, blackmail, skullduggery, intimidation, and MURDER! So, uh, lies fit right in.

There may not be many ties in the game, but that's only natural, since the Vile family made their haberdashery fortune on hats, not ties...
02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingDogInteractive View Post
Heh. The game is all about deceit, blackmail, skullduggery, intimidation, and MURDER! So, uh, lies fit right in.

There may not be many ties in the game, but that's only natural, since the Vile family made their haberdashery fortune on hats, not ties...
You know, in all my years, I have apparently been labouring under the mistaken impression that haberdashery was in reference to ties. Having looked it up I've just discovered that it really has very little to do with ties, though its modern definition does by inclusion count ties.

I hate learning new things by sounding like an idiot.

Carry on.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko