★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App rejected for including OpenFeint!

02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
App rejected for including OpenFeint!

Dear Mr. Poole,

We've reviewed your application Battle for Wesnoth: The South Guard 1.3 and determined that because this application does not have Core Location user features but is requesting location data, it violates section 3.3.6 of the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement:

"Any form of user or device data collection, or image, picture or voice capture or recording performed by the Application (collectively “Recordings”), and any form of user data, content or information processing, maintenance, uploading, syncing, or transmission performed by the Application (collectively "Transmissions") must comply with all applicable privacy laws and regulations as well as any Apple program requirements related to such aspects, including but not limited to any notice or consent requirements. In particular, a reasonably conspicuous audio, visual, or other indicator must be displayed to the user as part of the Application to indicate that a Recording is taking place."

Applications using Core Location information must provide user benefit and cannot solely be enabled to allow mobile advertisers to deliver targeted advertisements based on user's location.

A screenshot of this issue has been attached for your reference. In order for your application to be reconsidered for the App Store, please resolve this issue and upload your new binary to iTunes Connect.

iPhone App Review Team
My reply:

Dear Mr. App Reviewer,

I agree with your restriction on targeted advertisements. However, you
may notice that my application Battle for Wesnoth: The South Guard 1.3
does not have any advertisements.

The Core Location features are provided by the popular OpenFeint 2.4
plugin to provide value-added features such as global leaderboards.
Before you start failing hundreds of applications that include
OpenFeint, please launch the application again, tap on the OpenFeint
button, tap the middle button at the bottom of the screen (image of a
person), tap on Edit Profile, scroll down to the Privacy section and
set "Share your location" to OFF. I believe this is a network-stored
OpenFeint option, so this setting may also affect other applications
that include the latest version of OpenFeint.

Please reconsider your determination and update your reviewing process
accordingly, as any OpenFeint application may be similarly rejected.

Kyle Poole
Should I just resubmit the same binary and hope for a different reviewer?

Be sure to check out Shadow Era, a trading card game now with almost 3 million players, cross-platform multiplayer for iPhone, Android, web, PC and Mac for FREE!
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd wait for a reply, they usually seem to reply to app rejection emails with 24 hours (from my experience).

Of course, resubmitting shouldn't harm your chances, but I'd guess they keep some sort of log for each app, so different reviewers can see a history of submissions (or at least I'd hope for their sake they have something like that in place!).

I'm just looking into Open Feint now, so am very interested to hear their reply to you! Good luck

Phil @ Studio Siafu
Developer of Forest Folk (view the trailer: http://bit.ly/forestfolk-trailer)
Follow StudioSiafu and myself on twitter.

02-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Well THIS stinks. I hope that's just a brain fart on the part of the reviewer, because I'm planning on adding OF to my game. If Apple starts rejecting games that feature OF there's going to be a massive stink.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
02-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I wish OF 2.4 didn't include the location feature. I see no point in it and it just creates problems like this (plus an annoying pop-up every time you launch your app and you hit no).

Chain Link Pro 2 High adrenaline touch and drag action game.
iTunes link
02-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Did you build with the latest version of OpenFeint 2.4? It should be 2.4.2, because there was a bug in the earlier build that would cause the location prompt to appear on an upgrade install even when the switch was set to no, this was fixed in 2.4.2.
02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Ah I see, it is using 2.4

Anyways Apple did respond very quickly, I'm impressed!

Hello Mr. Poole,

Thank you for the clarification. We'll proceed with the review.

iPhone App Review Team

Be sure to check out Shadow Era, a trading card game now with almost 3 million players, cross-platform multiplayer for iPhone, Android, web, PC and Mac for FREE!
02-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Kyle Poole View Post
Ah I see, it is using 2.4

Anyways Apple did respond very quickly, I'm impressed!
Good stuff, I can breath easier again

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
02-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Open Feint includes ads at the top of their dashboard screens, and as a compete high level section.

Right now it seems to always be ads for other open feint games, but they could probably put other ads in there too.

I love open feint, and have it in a bunch of my games, but they do include ads.

I would guess that better ad targeting is one of their reasons for having the core location stuff, and location aware leader boards is a small user facing justification for putting it in, but I am quite cynical.
02-10-2010, 12:56 AM
After seeing this thread, I downloaded the lastest OpenFeint SDK. This is my first time updating OpenFeint in my game (which is made in Unity 3D), so I am not sure what to change. Do I just need to delete the old OpenFeint folder in Xcode (Move to Trash) and drag in the new one (with the proper boxes checked)?

I am getting close to submitting my Unity3D/OpenFeint game and I would like to avoid rejection!
02-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Hey Guys,
Jason from OpenFeint here.

First off... Kyle I will reach out to my contacts at Apple and confirm their stance on this issue. If it's going to become a problem that we have geo-location leaderboards, we'll figure out how they would like us to change use of Core Location to meet their expectations. If you have any more problems, please e-mail me directly and we'll figure out a solution for you.

Secondly, we *do not* use location data to serve up game promotions. Right now location data is used only for posting to leaderboards. We've been thinking about adding "Games people near you are playing" to the discovery tab... I actually thought it'd be a cool way to find games. We will confirm with Apple before doing it though.

Anyway, that's that! If anyone else has problems with Apple review responses, please let us know at devsupport@openfeint.com!

Thanks for the support :-)

- Jason Citron
- Founding Craftsman at Hammer & Chisel