★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I emailed Rockstar about the no Ped voice Overs and...

02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
I emailed Rockstar about the no Ped voice Overs and...

They replied saying it is due to a technical limitation of the platform. Now I'm wondering that surely the Iphone has better hardware in it that the DS and PSP. So is it something to do with Apples shitty software and them restricting everything?
02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Ya, I got the same response

Quote:
Hello,

Unfortunately on the iPhone version of GTA CTW the pedestrians do not speak, unlike the PSP and DS version where they do. This is limitation of the hardware and nothing can be done about it apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
Technical Support.

02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
maybe they just dont want to

The Life Blog
Minecraft
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy View Post
They replied saying it is due to a technical limitation of the platform. Now I'm wondering that surely the Iphone has better hardware in it that the DS and PSP. So is it something to do with Apples shitty software and them restricting everything?
It's probably less to do with "shitty software" than backwards compatibility. Remember that the game has to work with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation hardware. In my view, the original iPhone/1st gen iPod Touch were not really designed for gaming.

EDIT: I realize that the GTA:CW is not compatible with 1st Gen Touches; the specs of the original iPhone 3G are not that different, though.

Last edited by squarezero; 02-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
maybe the sound card isn't capable of playing a certain # of sounds at a time and with this feature turned on it met that limit.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The prez 12521 View Post
maybe they just dont want to
lol thats what i'm thinking. but its no big deal, the game is awesome.
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbname View Post
lol thats what i'm thinking. but its no big deal, the game is awesome.
ahaha its costs money. and why would you update your game that nearly everyoone has to make people happier? its not like if they release a new gta game without sounds people wont buyt it.

The Life Blog
Minecraft
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
That is a load of nonsense. If they can make the cops say "get out the car now" they can make pedestrians speak. Its not the question of idevice limitations but the "can be bothered - ness" of Rockstar games.
02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
A DS cart holds like what, 1.5 gb? So maybe that was their original limitation for the DS, using that limitation they probably came up with a package close to that size ( RS likes to pack as much as they can into one unit ). So maybe it has nothing to do with the ability to play the sounds, but the fact that including everything that was in the console versions would make it double the size.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Sry 4 any typos... On my pod... Meant to say something earlier. I don't work there but...
Nothing can be done about it is a pretty strong statement. I'd have to guess tho that it's 100% about performance. Uncompressed audio is pretty CPU intensive and iPs can only run one compressed file at a time. Again, I'm just guessing but with all they have going on, it's probably one of those compromises you gotta make to keep the overall game running well. Could be money tho but I'm guessin probably not...