★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Please help me improve my game, Super Quadra

01-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Developer says: Please help me improve my game, Super Quadra

Hi

I'm the developer of a new puzzle/action game called Super Quadra. I'm really interested in making this into a great game, and I know I need the help of gamers such as are found here to get this game up to snuff.

Version 1.01 is now available on the AppStore for FREE, and I already have a list of things I'm going to do to enhance the game:
  • world wide leaderboard
  • ambient music
  • enhanced sound effects that will help give the game "theme" of battling a super computer called "Super Quadra". computer will taunt you, another voice will encourage you
  • trophies
  • earn ability to start at higher levels

I would love it if you could check this game out and give me your honest feedback on how to improve the game. Please post your comments right here in this thread so that all suggestions can be discussed by the community.

Eventually I will start charging for this game, but not until I make it better. This is your chance to let your voice be heard. I look forward to hearing what you like/dislike about the game.

Link to Super Quadra on the AppStore

Share and enjoy!

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.

Last edited by blue ox; 01-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.
01-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi, I just downloaded and look forward to playing it, when my ipotch finishes sinking I'll try to give you a couple of ideas.

Also If you need it, I'll gladly beta test your updates

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
just played a round. I like it, animations are great. The only things you could make better is the design. The background with the red squares isn't really too appealing. I would go with a matrix type baground. or something more chrome silver like.

What are you aiming for in the looks of the game? intimidating or more sneezies like? because there are some mixed messages in the home screen of the game. If I were you I'd go for a polished intimidating look.

some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
might play it later but maybe a more defined overall theme

the green text with just (what seems to be) a random typography on the black bag ground with some ordinary red hearts makes for a very, very simple game. But not very appealing

get a unique art style going! Can you do something great in photoshop? Maybe paintings from real life?

Seen what the people behind 1112 did? The only reason I was interested in the Lite version was because of the art.
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
just played a round. I like it, animations are great. The only things you could make better is the design. The background with the red squares isn't really too appealing. I would go with a matrix type baground. or something more chrome silver like.

What are you aiming for in the looks of the game? intimidating or more sneezies like? because there are some mixed messages in the home screen of the game. If I were you I'd go for a polished intimidating look.
i was thinking to make it a little more ominous or intimdating. actually now that I think about it, the movie TRON has kind of the look and feel i'm going for

thanks

Christopher York
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWXYZ View Post
might play it later but maybe a more defined overall theme

the green text with just (what seems to be) a random typography on the black bag ground with some ordinary red hearts makes for a very, very simple game. But not very appealing

get a unique art style going! Can you do something great in photoshop? Maybe paintings from real life?

Seen what the people behind 1112 did? The only reason I was interested in the Lite version was because of the art.
the green text was a conscious design decision to give the game a retro look. however the point is well taken

Christopher York
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey, I watched the trailer of tron:

Youtube link | Pop Up

It's a good idea, what I think would make this game better is a story mode, short clips (not from the movie) in between the levels. Also the menu should be more similar to the computer in the movie, or even that weird-shaped face, telling you what to do, you could record and alter your voice so it fits with what the face is saying, explaining the game or welcoming you. Also for the rest ot the menus and the backround you could use what appears on 2:20 in the trailer.

some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Been wanting to try this game, but it has been the hardest application to force onto my dock thus far, it simply doesn't want to show up.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
01-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Yeah, definitely need music and definitely a more distinct art style. Other than that, it's a pretty fun game so far. I'd see if you can get an artist to do some work for you. A good article regarding that is:

http://lostgarden.com/2007/12/how-to...art-needs.html

I also frequent http://www.openclipart.org/ whenever I need something to work with as a placeholder or when I'm looking for something to use after I modify it for my purposes.
01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I for one personally like the style.

Could it be more polished and professional looking? Yes.

That necessarily wouldn't make it all too much better though.

I like the sound affects, especially the shuffling sound.

I like the match icons, especially the puzzle pieces.

The binary puzzles were a surprise to see, I love them.

The Super Quadra's bring a whole new level of difficulty to the game.

While playing I was wondering why the game was called that until the level that introduced them.

One quirk I noticed while playing was that it seemed in some levels you expect someone to accidentally press a bomb tile. They seem to be a big piece of the game, where a person can automatically lose a life by pressing one, but right now they are essentially unused and nothing but filler in their current form. Besides the slip of the finger, I don't see myself ever pressing one by accident.

I can't think of a good solution to cause them to be pressed by accident that wouldn't take away from the game play. I was thinking perhaps have one or two bomb tiles flipped over, waiting to be chosen, but that would ruin the game play.

That aside, being offered the option to switch between difficulties each level is a fantastic feature, I like this a lot.

The speed of the game works very well, I like that the tiles flip fast. There is one quirk I've noticed with tiles too though. If you select the first part of a match, but then decide to use a reveal tile, you can't; the game doesn't respond at all. This has happened to me on multiple occasions so far.

I like the flip sound a lot, both in the game while flipping tiles and when calculating the score at the end of a level.

The "Level Complete" text is a little odd, with each letter being a different color. I'm not sure if I like it or hate it. I want to say it goes with the quirkyness of the game, but it doesn't. The main menu has solid red colors with blue and grey. The difficulty select screen has green text and gold colors. The only place that really has a bunch of random colors is temporarily when a reveal tile is used.

Overall, this is a great game as it is. You already have plans to implement all the things I see missing from the game; a leader board, achievement system, level select and music.

I'd like to see some sort of profile system implemented, for different users of the same device. This way rankings and trophies can be separated for each player.

I like the theme you plan on evolving with the super computer; this will be nice to see in future updates.

Thank you for making this title free for a limited time, I wouldn't have tried this game otherwise. It's kind of a catch-22, as I wouldn't have purchased it going off the screen shots alone, but now that I've played it, the game's look has grown on me. I remember passing this one up when it was released about a week ago.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 01-30-2009 at 09:38 PM.