★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: DS Effects

10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 34
DS Effects

Oh my god, this is the worst developer known to man. I have never, EVER seen more shoddy shovelware than what this developer is pushing

Infiltrator, Dragon Fury, Some awful fighting game, Virtual (every kind of animal ever).

It pisses me off how much crap makes it into the app store. It's like spam. Most of this stuff is set at .99 to 2.99, it takes no effort and the developer can make a quick buck off some unsuspecting buyer. No investment, no updates ever, and onto the next game.

I've never bought one of the games, but I've seen them in action, and they are just terrible
10-04-2008, 05:53 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,438
Here's a link to his apps
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=289564763

I've tried Mad Fighters ($0.99) - it's not really any good
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291397627&mt=8

Monsterland and Dragon Fury looks the same "engine".

10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 294
Yep DS Effects is just clogging the App Store Review process with their shitty games. They're the worst offender in the appstore next to Shekhar Yadav.
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,484
This brings up a good point: I wish the AppStore allowed you to "filter" the content. So I could put DS Effects into the blocked list and then never see anything by them ever again. Of course they'll never do that, but perhaps some of the sites such as this one, AppShopper, etc, could add that feature.
10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,401
I actually tried some of those "games" on the Web Apps page. The controls are terrible and all their little animals are worse than the old tamogotchee(?) pets.
10-05-2008, 09:39 PM
#6
*shutters* These games are just terrible. Apple should raise there standards and actually play the games/apps before releasing them on the App Store. It would be interesting to have a rule where your app must be approved by the testers and rate a minimum of 2.5 out of 5 before its released.

Then again, there is a reason why this site exists.

-Stuart Bradley Newsom
Founder/Writer

Vigilant Entertainment Company:
::iPhone Games, Console Games, PC Games, Film::
http://www.vigilantec.com/
10-05-2008, 10:37 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 34
Chalk up two more DS Effects crapware games in the App Store: Olympic Sports and Virtual Chick. There must be 30 of these games on here. These are seriously the ugliest games I've ever seen. Ugh.

They must be stopped.
10-05-2008, 10:42 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadjisan View Post
*shutters* These games are just terrible. Apple should raise there standards and actually play the games/apps before releasing them on the App Store. It would be interesting to have a rule where your app must be approved by the testers and rate a minimum of 2.5 out of 5 before its released.

Then again, there is a reason why this site exists.
As much as I hate those games, putting the fate of a valid app that didn't break any rules on the hands of an appstore tester will be just as bad because reviews are subjective.
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudehuge View Post
As much as I hate those games, putting the fate of a valid app that didn't break any rules on the hands of an appstore tester will be just as bad because reviews are subjective.
Plural. More than one tester.

It can be rated based on the following:

Playability: How buggy or polished the gameplay is.
Graphics: Quality of Graphics
Audio: Quality of Audio
and other stuff.

By making the ratings based on multiple testers, things will become less subjective. Like reading a bunch of reviews of a game from various magazines and sites. Once an average is found.

-Stuart Bradley Newsom
Founder/Writer

Vigilant Entertainment Company:
::iPhone Games, Console Games, PC Games, Film::
http://www.vigilantec.com/
10-05-2008, 11:50 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadjisan View Post
Plural. More than one tester.

It can be rated based on the following:

Playability: How buggy or polished the gameplay is.
Graphics: Quality of Graphics
Audio: Quality of Audio
and other stuff.

By making the ratings based on multiple testers, things will become less subjective. Like reading a bunch of reviews of a game from various magazines and sites. Once an average is found.
the bugginess is the most important of all of those... although i agree that apps that look this ugly do not make me want to buy