★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The number of Lite games is certainly increasing

01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
The number of Lite games is certainly increasing

and GOOD. It's great seeing that more and more developers are finally figuring out how not to screw consumers.
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post
and GOOD. It's great seeing that more and more developers are finally figuring out how not to screw consumers.
bad selection of word OR do you have something to back the claim up?

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **

01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
It's not the developers "screwing" consumers. It's Apple's business model. Not allowing demo's (as a developer it would be VERY easy to make the game stop working after 24 hours) is where the problem comes in. For my most recent project, an update to iDice, a yahtzee clone, there is no way to make a lite version for it. You can make it so the game can only be played X amount of times before you have to either buy or move on due to Apple's limitations. Some games you cannot make a lite version out of under Apple's business model.
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Ya, "screw" is a little harsh...

Standard practice for casual games on other platforms is time limited demos (e.g. 30-60 minutes of gameplay). I'd be happy to offer a time limited demo but Apple does not allow this - unfortunately some games don't have levels or other clear-cut features that would facilitate a "lite" version.

Now, I don't mind seeing all these lite versions myself - I'm a dev, but I'm also a consumer - I just wish Apple would handle these better and promote them in conjunction with the full versions and not as standalone products. Wading through thousands of duplicate apps is a PITA, and truly free apps can easily get lost in the shuffle.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
01-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
Well, even games without "levels" or such can have lite versions.
Sure, note that I said "levels or other clear-cut features". The problem I have with Pinch 'n Pop is that the game is non-stop and all the powerups are integral to the gameplay. There are no items or modes or levels that I can cut, and no break where I can say "You've reached this point! Demo over!". A time or play limited demo makes the most sense in this case but I'm not allowed to do that.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
01-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Quote:
That yahtzee game can have a similar set up. Like, say, a handful of games played only.
According to Apple, you may not do that. You can't put a play limit (either time or games) in lite versions.
01-31-2009, 04:25 AM
This is everybody following iShoot's lead -- he wasn't first, but I think he set a precedent.
01-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by app-inured View Post
This is everybody following iShoot's lead -- he wasn't first, but I think he set a precedent.
Of course. Everyone and their brother wants to make $250K in a week.

That said, I'm working on Juggler Free which will be my answer to the cries for lite versions. Since there was no easy way to make a lite version of Juggler, I'm just sticking some ads in it and giving it away for free. If people like the game and want to support me (or just get rid of ads), they can pay the $0.99.

Flip 3 may get a lite version in the next couple of weeks, but I'm busy wrapping up an app that's on it's way to being done and working on my next game, so that may get put on hold.

Nick Gravelyn
twitter.com/nickgravelyn - twitter.com/metacreature
Metacreature Games: Juggler - Juggler Free - Flip 3
Metacreature Apps: PhotoTalk
01-31-2009, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
For my most recent project, an update to iDice, a yahtzee clone, there is no way to make a lite version for it.
Just disable a few scoring categories, strike them out on the sheet or something like that. Everyone knows what a yahtzee game is. The lite version is needed only to show how well you have implemented the graphics, the dice rolling and score entry in your version.
01-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Games like Up There can have features removed in the "lite" version (like, say, once you get past the house the "lite" version ends and asks you to buy the full version if you liked it, and the full version has the branch areas, etc.) or be limited to one "area".
I just have to disagree. Our game Up There is very much a self-contained, packaged deal... it's pretty all or none. That's it's biggest strength, that it is so seamlessly composed. We're not dealing with different distinct "levels," we have 1 game environment that changes as you play. To release our game as free, with less art work, would put us in a tough spot to convince players that only more art was worth purchasing Or if we ended the game after the attic aesthetic, as you suggested, what kind of game would that be? What kind of fun? You can't cripple a game to the point of un-enjoyability, at the alter of the desire to give every game a lite version.

Sure, we love lite versions. We think they're great. But our game is just too much of a packaged, single, whole to divide up into anyway. Either we leave too little of value to tempt customers to purchase, or we cripple the light version to a point of "not fun."

Lite versions are an option that can and should be taken if appropriate, but I don't think we're screwing anyone by not offering it. But I say that confident in our project, knowing that very few people who buy it will regret it, and most will be pleased they took the risk.

www.VeiledGames.com
Outnumbered out NOW!
Follow us on Twitter @VeiledGames